Topic: Any consesus on thermostats?

I've heard it's best to yank the thermostat. Let the cooling system run constantly at full flow.

I've also heard it's best to leave the thermostat in. Restricting the flow allows water to cool in the radiator longer and more effectively.

Any input?

Re: Any consesus on thermostats?

The only thing I can think of is that heat cycling is bad for aluminum heads and gaskets on iron blocks, and that a thermostat might help smooth out those cycles. I think we're going to add a radiator and leave in a cool thermostat and see what happens. The crazy thermostat design int he Fiat would require some replumbing to bypass anyway.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

my car over heated like a bastard with it in. Small block chevy tho.. removed it and made a more direct route for the air to get to the rad. that cured my boil over problems, still ran rather hot, around 220-240 degrees FWIW.

No Budget Racing
Chief Instigator
1991 Ponticrap OnFirebird
Racing a Camaro/Firebird at Lemons is a box full of fail, thats why we do it.

random_tox wrote:

I've heard it's best to yank the thermostat. Let the cooling system run constantly at full flow.

I've also heard it's best to leave the thermostat in. Restricting the flow allows water to cool in the radiator longer and more effectively.

Any input?

We used to run a SBC (late model dirt track car) and tried running it w/o a t-stat, but the water was leaving the radiator to fast to be cooled, so we had to put it back.

Personally I'd get a low 170-180F t-stat and leave it in.  FWIW, we ran our E30 (with 180F t-stat) the entire time at CMP and the water temp stayed at 210F.  We also wired the cooling fan to run constantly for extra insurance on caution laps, pit stops, etc.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

This is a pretty good thread on the subject:

http://race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18940

We drilled a series of small holes in ours so that it allowed SOME flow if it ended up sticking closed.  We also did a lot of ducting work to bring as much air in through the radiator as possible.

One thing we also did was gut out the heater box from under the dash.  We have 2 coolant lines in the whole car... one to and one from the radiator

FreeRange wrote:

We drilled a series of small holes in ours so that it allowed SOME flow if it ended up sticking closed.  We also did a lot of ducting work to bring as much air in through the radiator as possible.

One thing we also did was gut out the heater box from under the dash.  We have 2 coolant lines in the whole car... one to and one from the radiator

We pretty much did the same, except an E30 doesn't need ducting.  Another reason for drilling the holes is to let bubbles pass through, so be sure their at the top.

Team Formula BMW
#23 Pink Pig

Guys -- the 40-year trick set-up has always been to remove the thermostat from the outer restrictor ring.  Cut the thermostat valve from the outer ring and replace just the ring in the housing.  That way, you slow the water flow down to promote heat transfer in the radiator but you also avoid any possibility of the thermostat jamming and causing a catastrophic failure.  Age old solution to an age old problem.

John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

Thanks John... some of us aren't 40... or 30... or 28 for that matter smile

VKZ24 wrote:

Personally I'd get a low 170-180F t-stat and leave it in.  FWIW, we ran our E30 (with 180F t-stat) the entire time at CMP and the water temp stayed at 210F.  We also wired the cooling fan to run constantly for extra insurance on caution laps, pit stops, etc.

e or i? Our little naturally aspirated E28 eta ran at a steady 170 with the thermostat, no fan unless stationary for more than 5 minutes. It was 160 without the thermostat but sometimes ran way too cool so we put it back in. Now with 9 psi of boost it runs at 190 and only running the fan when still. We did find that using a pressure pump and bleeding the cooling system multiple times at multiple points made a big difference and brings leaks to your attention well BEFORE you get on the track.

For anyone, I'd recommend running with the thermostat in to keep temps steady. Cold or erratic temps are equally bad and the thermostat is there to maintain a steady temp. Pull the thermostat, heat it up in a pot of water with a temp gauge and make sure it opens fully at the right temp. If it doesn't replace it, maybe with one that opens 10 or 20 degrees lower than stock.

I am curious to see what will happen at Buttonwillow with both driver and engine cooling. OATs will be between 100-110. I suspect much overheating. Whatever budget Jay gives us will probably go to additional engine cooling. That and a cool suit set up for the drivers.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

FreeRange wrote:

you go to hell.  you go to hell and you die.

professional.dreamer wrote:

Guys -- the 40-year trick set-up has always been to remove the thermostat from the outer restrictor ring.  Cut the thermostat valve from the outer ring and replace just the ring in the housing.  That way, you slow the water flow down to promote heat transfer in the radiator but you also avoid any possibility of the thermostat jamming and causing a catastrophic failure.  Age old solution to an age old problem.

John

John is exactly right.  A thermostat is an unnecessary risk to run in racing.  If that $3 part gets stuck closed, you're done for.  However, taking it out will result in poor cooling as well.

Water is excellent at heat transfer, far better than coolant, but it needs to be in contact with the hot surface in question long enough to wick that heat away.  As John mentioned, removing the center of a thermostat creates, in effect, a restrictor plate.  Water flow is slowed in the circuit and yet it can never be 0. 

For those who are obsessed about details, the size of the restrictor plate can be changed to optimize the heat transfer abilities of the water.  Generally speaking though, a cored out thermostat is just about perfect.

At CMP in April, we ran the stock radiator and a cored out t-stat.  The radiator had an electric fan on it with a switch on the dash.  The only times we needed to turn the fan on was if the car was sitting still.  We had great cooling (180deg) with no fan at track speeds.  Granted we have a tiny engine, but the radiator was the size of a magazine.

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

CaptainRat wrote:

John is exactly right.  A thermostat is an unnecessary risk to run in racing.  If that $3 part gets stuck closed, you're done for.  However, taking it out will result in poor cooling as well.

I take your point, but do you guys often have a thermostat stick closed or something?  I mean a brand new Stant t-stat is like $8 for our car and I can't see a reason it would fail in just 13 hours of use.  Of course it 'could' fail, but I've not seen or had one fail on me personally.  Also you could buy the 'Fail Safe' t-stat which will stick open instead of closed if it fails.  I really wonder why they all aren't made that way.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

In every form of racing, it is good to get your engine up to operating temp before you race it.  The temperature will reach a maximum level with or without a t-stat in place.  Say you have a 195 in your engine, once it gets over that temp, you are in effect running just a restricted water flow continously through your radiator.  The only downfall to "gutting" the t-stat is the length of time it takes for the engine to heat up (which in racing apps is not a bad thing).  Thermostats generally do not fail but for these semi race situations as seen in Lemons, gutting the t-stat is the way to go hands down.  In every engine used for race applications, at least that I have come into contact with, I have never seen a t-stat in any of them.  The only reason I would run a t-stat in this case would be if I planned on needing to run the heater and I didn't want to be cold, you know for the proposed frozen tundra Lemons Winter 2010.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

We do not run a T-stat, just one more thing to go wrong.  We have a policy of minimalist design, take everything out that could possible go wrong.  Hell we are even running points.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

HEI is more reliable than points, IMO... At least when it comes to SBC's

And if the coil bites the dust it's a 3 minute swap, if that.

One other thing about thermostats: some have a block off valve on the bottom, like this:
http://www.lubemobile.com.au/SiteMedia/w3svc621/Uploads/Images/car%20Thermostat.jpg If yours has this, the bottom plate closes off the engine's internal bypass when the thermostat opens. Gutting the thermostat removes that valve and can lead to overheating problems. It's best to block off the inner passage with a freeze plug etc just remember to drill a ~1/8" hole in the plug so that there's no air pocket trapped behind it.

And we found out at CMP that electronic ignition is DEFINITELY more reliable than points. hmm

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

VKZ24 wrote:
CaptainRat wrote:

I take your point, but do you guys often have a thermostat stick closed or something?  I mean a brand new Stant t-stat is like $8 for our car and I can't see a reason it would fail in just 13 hours of use.  Of course it 'could' fail, but I've not seen or had one fail on me personally.  Also you could buy the 'Fail Safe' t-stat which will stick open instead of closed if it fails.  I really wonder why they all aren't made that way.

I had 2 brand new thermostats fail on 2 different cars in the span of 2 months earlier this year. On both of them the bridges failed and they got stuck closed. Had never seen failures like that before, but suddenly Murphy came calling.

Normally I boil them under pressure to see when they open, and have found about  15-20% don't work correctly.

On the flip side, especially for cars running carburetors, the temp effects the air/fuel tuning so I don't like mine to run below 180. Steady and warm seems better and more consistent than wide temp swings.

Unfortunately I run an English car in Lemons, so none of this really even matters; It going to overheat and die soon in glorious fashion no matter what we do. That should be fun.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Thermostats do fail, especially when exposed to prolonged heat cycles... like racing... especially endurance racing.  As "cpmskinny" said in a previous post, warming a race engine up slowly is critically important.  In my TransAm and GTA car, we run the engine for 10 minutes (with a fan blowing through the radiator) prior to any track excursion to bring the temp up properly.

Anyway, do as you wish... fine by me... but I'll lay a pound of experience against a ton Newbie posts --- gut the thermostat, keep the restrictor ring and finish the damn race without a $10 part failure... and make sure to warm the engine up before you go on track.

John

a failed thermostat is what ended Huey Newis' weekend in Reno. spend the 6 bucks, get a new one. do it.

Huey Newis and the Lose
Don't Start Believin'

Westyside wrote:

a failed thermostat is what ended Huey Newis' weekend in Reno. spend the 6 bucks, get a new one. do it.

Or you could simply run an Air Cooled Engine, like a VW Bug, Karmann Ghia, Squareback, 412, Porsche 914, or a Corvair.....

Seems logical to me!

troubleonwheels wrote:
FreeRange wrote:

you go to hell.  you go to hell and you die.

Well I'm 28. That oughta make you feel better.

The thermostat question depends a little bit on the car--some newer cars with computer-controlled fuel injection can go into fits if the temp isn't within a certain range. At Lemons, we've seen some weird issues on cars that are running non-stock radiator locations where the water doesn't circulate properly through the cooling system--sometimes, keeping the thermostat in promoted the proper flow. Also, we've seen teams monkey with their thermostats for hours, when a crappy radiator was really at the root of the problem.

But, generally speaking, running sans thermostat is a good, simple approach. Certainly wouldn't hurt to try it out.

UDMan wrote:
Westyside wrote:

Or you could simply run an Air Cooled Engine, like a VW Bug, Karmann Ghia, Squareback, 412, Porsche 914, or a Corvair.....

Seems logical to me!

You have no idea how much i want to build up a 914 team.

Dress up like snooty Porsche owners and bad-mouth everyone else's cars all weekend long in a fake German accent.
"Yah, you vouldn't have zees problem eef you drove und REAL race-cahhhh."

Huey Newis and the Lose
Don't Start Believin'

FreeRange wrote:

god... I wish I was only 40!  or only 50!  or only... ooops, I starting to give too much info away here.

Anybody out there ever hear of the "Old Farts Too Dumb To Stop Racing Team"?  It's real.  Has about 250 members, based here in the Bay Area (CA).  I'm a proud member.

Just remember Helen Hayes...

John