Topic: Finally, more progress
Big work day today, earlier in the week I had stripped the floors off the donor VW chassis in preparation for today. So we started with a bare VW chassis and an extreme desire to create weirdness.
We started by cutting the front of the VW chassis off as we were only interested in the rear suspension and center tunnel.
Next we just placed the VW on top of the Wartburg frame to get an idea of where we needed everything. Part of the overall design calls for extending the wheelbase. We already got 2 inched up front with the 944 a-arms, we wanted another 4 inches in the rear so the VW frame was placed locating the wheel centerline 4 inches back from the Wartburg wheel locations
The grinding wheel got quite a workout as we started trimming the frame back to where we needed it. This is one of my many "do as I say, not as I do" moments. Please ignore my total disregard for safety.
In the end our poor Wartburg frame looked like this. It was a bit painful and scary to hack it up, but the ends should justify the means.
The chassis was dry fit in the frame and many measurements taken. Lots of fine tuning with the grinder to get everything nice and snug, but finally we got it where we liked it.
Finally we let the metal burn and the sparks fly and we put it all together. I still have some finish welding to do and reinforcement but it's again at a place where I can work on it solo and prepare it for the next all out team effort. An added note the rear disks are mocked up in the back. 944 brakes really are just a bolt on affair for a VW bug, sweet.
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."