Topic: Our first middle driving position car!

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/03/500x_mid-drive_mirage-action-front-500px.jpg

I totally spaced on doing a writeup on the Mid-Drive Crisis Mitsubishi at the time of the last Gator-O-Rama, but finally got around to it today. Really cool idea... and one that can be applied to just about any front-wheel-drive car. Mid-drive Eldorado Biarritz, please!

2 (edited by secorp 2010-03-20 12:44 PM)

Re: Our first middle driving position car!

Very nice, just wait until later this year when you see the second and third dicing it out in former family haulers (mid/rear-engine drivetrains lend themselves well to this position too smile )

I have a tech question related to this configuration:

Does the cage need to be the full width of the car or can you shrink the width of the cage to fit the central driving position? All the required diagonals and such would be present and maybe a few extra pieces to pickup the corners of the floor or suspension pickups where the strength is greatest.

Input and comments welcome.

Edward

Edward
Angry Hamster Racing
Angry Hamster Racing on Facebook

edward wrote:

I have a tech question related to this configuration:

Does the cage need to be the full width of the car or can you shrink the width of the cage to fit the central driving position? All the required diagonals and such would be present and maybe a few extra pieces to pickup the corners of the floor or suspension pickups where the strength is greatest.

Input and comments welcome.

Edward

Personally, I'd love to be further away from the cage. I'd keep it full width and also put in side nets to keep me away from it.

How did they set up the steering? new rack, or universal joints in the shaft?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

I thought very, very seriously about doing this to our MR2 last year. I figured that everything could move pretty easily and I'd dummy up a chain-gear apparatus from a wrecked 12-speed bike so that I wouldn't have to mess with changing out the steering rack. The only downside so far as I could see was that the MR2 has its fuel tank in the middle of the car (between the driver and passenger) so that would mean we'd need a fuel cell somewhere and we just didn't want to spend the monies. Plus the rest of the team thought I was crazy to even suggest it. Bums me out that somebody beat me to it though. Looks great!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

There is another center-driver coming soon from EGR.

Clint! Get to work!