Topic: What goes under the firesuit?

I hear much talk about no synthetic stuff under the fire suit, lest it melt onto you if things get toasty.

It think my t-shirts are a cotton/poly blend and last time I checked some kind of elastic was keeping my socks and undies in place.

Do I need to go find a bunch of 100% cotton stuff?

...or do people go commando style under the firesuit?

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

Re: What goes under the firesuit?

Anything under your firesuit needs to be either fireproof (nomex or Carbon-X, typically) or 100% non-synthetic (cotton or wool, typically). An important area to consider is the waistband of supposedly 100% non-synthetic cotton underwear, which typically contains elastic that will melt in a fire and leave a very nasty burn right around your midsection.

You could go commando, but that's providing less fire protection rather than more. The smart way to go is to wear fireproof garments under the firesuit -- undershirt and long johns -- even if you have a multi-layer firesuit. The more fireproof layers you have, the more time you have to exit a fire before your flesh begins getting charred.

And although it's not strictly required by Lemons specs, a fireproof balaclava is a pretty smart investment too.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mad_Science wrote:

It think my t-shirts are a cotton/poly blend and last time I checked some kind of elastic was keeping my socks and undies in place.

For the same reasons as the underwear above, fireproof socks are also a good idea.  If your fuel cell gets punctured and you find yourself in puddle of burning fuel, your feet are going to get it first.

Team Formula BMW
#23 Pink Pig

I'm chicken about fire.  So I wear a /5 suit, and Carbon-X underneath it.

Steve

5 (edited by RobL 2009-06-18 07:49 AM)

I go commando (boxer briefs).  It's far too hot under my /5 suit.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

That's why I got the single layer suit because I figured I'd be wearing nomex underwear anyway.  It was hot, but not half as bad as my motorcycle leathers.

/5 suit with boxers and a white T shirt is all that I wear. 

If you are uneasy about it, just be sure you practice your quick car exit a few times before the race weekend and get a good feel for it.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

One thing to keep in mind is that the fire suit isn't really just for the situations where the car is on fire but it's easy to make a "quick exit." The /5 suit and all the rest are probably no more necessary than a cotton suit dunked in Borax in that situation.

When you really need that fire protection is when you're rolled over, the door is crushed, and you can't get yourself out of the car when it catches fire. At that point the only thing that's between you and getting totally effed is the fire gear that you're wearing. At that point less is decidedly not more. I fully understand the balance between comfort when not on fire -- i.e. sweating your balls off -- and gearing up so that you look like Bibendum. There are a lot of shortcuts to be taken in Lemons -- hell, we revel in the shortcuts -- but fire gear is a bad place to cut corners.

It's kind of like they say about helmets; if you've got a ten-cent head, get a ten-cent helmet. For me, if the choice is between sweating more or risking third degree burns to my gentleman's region because I didn't want to wear a pair of Carbon-X boxers, I'll bear the extra sweat. IMHO, YMMV, other standard disclaimers apply. Cheers.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I go naked... its very freeing....

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

If you are trapped in the car when it is upside down and burning, you may as well cram your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye (if so able).  Even a /5 suit only gives you 10 sec before you will get 2nd degree burns.   Point is, racing is dangerous and some situations you cannot prevent no matter how much safety equipment you wear.

Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

I just got the short sleeve carbonx and boxers in carbonx for under my A5 so it adds a little protection but it is not too hot.

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

cpmskinny wrote:

If you are trapped in the car when it is upside down and burning, you may as well cram your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye (if so able).  Even a /5 suit only gives you 10 sec before you will get 2nd degree burns.   Point is, racing is dangerous and some situations you cannot prevent no matter how much safety equipment you wear.

I agree that it's going to be dicey either way, but wearing fireproof undergarments even under a /5 firesuit may be what saves your life or saves your skin from more severe burns:

"Fire resistant underwear should be worn with every type of driver suit, especially single layer suits because it will double the minimum protection time..."

http://www.sfifoundation.com/

It may only give you 10 more seconds to kiss your ass goodbye if you're wearing a /5 suit plus fireproof undies, but it also gives the rest of us an additional 10 seconds to get there with fire extinguishers to try to save your freshly-kissed ass from burning to death.

Mulry wrote:

It may only give you 10 more seconds to kiss your ass goodbye if you're wearing a /5 suit plus fireproof undies, but it also gives the rest of us an additional 10 seconds to get there with fire extinguishers to try to save your freshly-kissed ass from burning to death.

I think you've misread this. Undies will give you another 3 seconds, doubling the single-layer time from 3 to 6. For a /5 suite, that would be from 10 to 13. Still a good improvement, but not 20 seconds.

In other words, if there's a fire, get the hell out. Don't reach for that puny extinguisher in the car.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

EvergreenDan wrote:
Mulry wrote:

I think you've misread this. Undies will give you another 3 seconds, doubling the single-layer time from 3 to 6. For a /5 suite, that would be from 10 to 13. Still a good improvement, but not 20 seconds.

In other words, if there's a fire, get the hell out. Don't reach for that puny extinguisher in the car.

Exactly what I was saying.

Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

I prefer the carbon  X  thong better flexibilty to kiss your ass goodbye!!!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

fabtoys wrote:

I prefer the carbon  X  thong better flexibilty to kiss your ass goodbye!!!

Yeah, at least your jewels will have about 3 extra seconds before they become charred like your ass.

Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

My jewels are in my wife's purse !

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

fabtoys wrote:

My jewels are in my wife's purse !

You willing to admit that?  At least they aren't on the mantle next to the fake flowers and candles like some of the other guys I know.

Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

Don't forget your exit strategy...I once had to leave a street stock Dodge in a hurry and hung up on a sharp edge on the door sill.....If you think accidents happen in slow motion, try wriggling off a hook while the car is filling with smoke....granted, it was a stock car, so the door was welded shut, but I started to duct tape the door opening to avoid the embarrassment. Rescue? forget it...watch any 1/3 mile bullring and see how long it takes for the marshal to get the pin out of the bottle.....you'd better be gone by then

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Since you're all worried about buying more time to escape a fire and talking about $100 underwear times 4-6 drivers, consider a fire system.

http://www.firecharger.com/

Their system is $320 and rechargable.

My friend bought one of these.  We don't have one in the LeMon car but it's been considered.

Point is, pull the lever or whatever and it will buy you a LOT of time.  Maybe even extinguish the fire.

Then you save your jewels, ass, face, legs and maybe even a damn E30.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy, that is a really good point. Who has stolen access to your account? smile