Topic: Artists conceptual drawing

Ok, not really but I have been trying to get this one drawn up since we got the Wartburg and finally found the right guy for the job.  Just sent him pics of the wartburg, our "winnie the sh*t" mascot and the request for something in the rat fink style...otherwise go nuts.

Ok, round one "pooh" looked a little too angry for my wife so I told him to envision him as a benevolent but deranged pot smoking rastafarian pooh....nailed it smile

The artists name is Mike Learn and as soon as I saw his work I knew he'd get what I was looking for.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com/images/MTRRF.jpg

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Re: Artists conceptual drawing

This one was done by a very talented friend of my wifes (she's been one of the featured muralists on Extreme Home makeover.  Great picture, but sadly she did not understand what I meant by Rat Fink style.  Still thought I'd share.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com/images/wart2.jpg

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

Awesome, where do I get a sticker?  Looks great, along with the car.  Good luck!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Both are awesome in their own way, but at least the one at top won't have Disney's lawyers chasing you with a nest of bees.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

Both are awesome in their own way, but at least the one at top won't have Disney's lawyers chasing you with a nest of bees.

Precisely why when I gave it to a pro he had to modify the hell out of our traditional Winnie the Shit....that little guy's been our mascot forever but he was due for a refresh.

davisriley wrote:

Awesome, where do I get a sticker?  Looks great, along with the car.  Good luck!

Just ordered the stickers, we'll have them at Capitol Offense.  Hopefully T-shirts too but probably a limited quantity of those.

The gearshift should be a 4-foot bong. Other than that, perfect.

Judge Phil wrote:

The gearshift should be a 4-foot bong. Other than that, perfect.

After he redid him to "stoney the pooh" I thought about asking him to ditch the booze bottle and make it a bong instead.

Jim, I'd bet that if you threw that onto a t-shirt on CafePress or PrintFection, you would probably sell a fair number to other teams and then you wouldn't have to deal with the printing and order fulfillment/delivery issues either. I'd certainly buy one so long as it wasn't a gouging smile

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

Jim, I'd bet that if you threw that onto a t-shirt on CafePress or PrintFection, you would probably sell a fair number to other teams and then you wouldn't have to deal with the printing and order fulfillment/delivery issues either. I'd certainly buy one so long as it wasn't a gouging smile

Has Cafe Press gotten any better?  Last time I ordered from them was 5 years ago and the quality was terrible.

One of the team members thinks he knows a place that will give us a reasonable rate we'll wait and see.  I did some investigation on using another online shop that actually silk screens.  Their rates arent as good as the local guy but they let you set upan online shop like cafe press so that might be an option.

Order fulfillment....haha....come to Summit and get it wink   Nahh, I'll probably mail them out if there's enough interest but we dont have alot of money to front for a large run of shirts so they will be limited unless one of the other team members is hiding some loot.

I don't know about CafePress anymore, I moved over to PrintFection a couple years ago and haven't looked back. They do all our shirts now and I've been somewhere between very pleased and thrilled with the results depending on the shirt, but never less than very pleased.

The thing that I especially like about PrintFection is that people can buy just one shirt and while they pay more for it, I don't have to put up a bunch of my money and take orders, etc. Unless you have someone who wants to deal with that hassle, it's really easier to just upload the art onto PrintFection and give out the URL to the "shop" that you set up.

If it would make it easier for you, if you want to email the art to me, I can set it up on my PrintFection shop on a no-profit basis in about 3 minutes so that everyone who wants one can get one at whatever cost PrintFection charges them.  And that way you don't have to deal with mailing out shirts to a bunch of deadbeats who will slowpay you on PayPal anyway. smile Shoot me an email if you're interested.

Hey Pat,

I have been wondering how the whole T shirt thing works.  What does it cost for, say, 10 short sleeve shirts with a team logo design?  I'd like to design something for our team.  Too bad none of us have ANY artistic abilities.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

13 (edited by Spinnetti 2010-05-11 01:32 PM)

Those are fabulous! The first one would make some great vinyl for the side of the car too wink

Dang, artistic skill is really undervalued in our society - I sure wish I had some!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:

Those are fabulous! The first one would make some great vinyl for the side of the car too wink

Dang, artistic skill is really undervalued in our society - I sure wish I had some!

It is going to be a nightmare to weed in vinyl but I will do something for the car time permitting.

I hate to admit it but this artwork was not undervalued...and my wallet shows it.  But it was worth it for the results.

Overall though I agree, everyone thinks you can just fire up photoshop and make art these days, skills like the ones above are undervalued.

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Hey Pat,

I have been wondering how the whole T shirt thing works.  What does it cost for, say, 10 short sleeve shirts with a team logo design?  I'd like to design something for our team.  Too bad none of us have ANY artistic abilities.

The art part is the trickiest of all. But in terms of the cost, I think it's like $15/shirt if you order 10 of them or so, and it depends on the shirt that they're printed on. White are the cheapest and colors are a lot more expensive. For a better idea of the exact pricing, check out the TARP store:

http://www.printfection.com/tarpgear

It's got at least one of each of the major style shirts for at least one of the designs, so you can play around and see what kind of prices you get for what quantities. All of the shirts I have up on there are at no-profit pricing (I think), so what you see is all what's going to Printfection.

JThw8 wrote:

Overall though I agree, everyone thinks you can just fire up photoshop and make art these days, skills like the ones above are undervalued.

Amen! I can't freehand worth a crap and sure wish that I could.

Mulry wrote:

I don't know about CafePress anymore, I moved over to PrintFection a couple years ago and haven't looked back. They do all our shirts now and I've been somewhere between very pleased and thrilled with the results depending on the shirt, but never less than very pleased.

The thing that I especially like about PrintFection is that people can buy just one shirt and while they pay more for it, I don't have to put up a bunch of my money and take orders, etc. Unless you have someone who wants to deal with that hassle, it's really easier to just upload the art onto PrintFection and give out the URL to the "shop" that you set up.

If it would make it easier for you, if you want to email the art to me, I can set it up on my PrintFection shop on a no-profit basis in about 3 minutes so that everyone who wants one can get one at whatever cost PrintFection charges them.  And that way you don't have to deal with mailing out shirts to a bunch of deadbeats who will slowpay you on PayPal anyway. smile Shoot me an email if you're interested.

I really appreciate the offer and I will consider it.  I looked at their site a bit and the issues I have are it appears they are doing digital printing not screen prints so the quality will just not be the same, I do small run work on my own and either do screen or heat set vinyl (this design would be a nightmare in heat set though)  It just holds up better, less fading and has a more professional look.  Also from a quick test I did with their system the per shirt cost is almost double what we can have them screened for right now.  Once you get over the setup costs on screen printing its pretty affordable, especially for a 1 color design like ours.  Of course if you are only doing 5-10 shirts then you dont really defray the setup cost but I think we're looking at at least 30 between our 6 drivers, 4 crew, spouses, judge baksheesh, etc so it works out fairly well.  We'd like to get them cheap enough to sell them cheap and still put a dollar in our pockets (gotta buy beer ya know) Right now our quote is cheap enough that we could mark them up by 2 or 3 bux and still be selling for less than the online shop.

I run a small not for profit organization too that I may use them for, we get alot of ad hock orders because people like our logo and all the money just goes to whichever dog we are sponsoring that week (we sponsor special needs dog in shelters or foster care, http://www.blinddogracing.org)  Something like that would be great since I fund it all out of pocket so I really cant be keeping any stock on hand.

Mulry wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

Amen! I can't freehand worth a crap and sure wish that I could.

Sadly I honestly used to be able to produce some decent stuff, but I killed those brain cells with rum or exhaust fumes.

My ex just send me a photo of her mothers day present.  A very well done pencil sketch family portrait that my daughter (14) drew for her.  Kid's got talent and I'm gonna exploit....um...nurture it as much as I can.  So now I just bust my daughter's chops that she took my hair and my artistic ability.

She wants to animate video games when she grows up....my kid kicks ass.

JThw8 wrote:
davisriley wrote:

Just ordered the stickers, we'll have them at Capitol Offense.  Hopefully T-shirts too but probably a limited quantity of those.

I won't be at Capitol Offense.  Any chance to get one mailed?  Thanks.

Bloomington, IN
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

davisriley wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
davisriley wrote:

Absolutely.  Once I get the stickers here I'll post up info here and/or on our website.

JThw8 wrote:
davisriley wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

Absolutely.  Once I get the stickers here I'll post up info here and/or on our website.

Sweet!

Bloomington, IN

21 (edited by Mulry 2010-05-11 07:09 PM)

No sweat, Jim. I think that they are doing digital printing but it's the best quality digital print work I've ever seen on t-shirts, and I'm awfully damned picky with my print work. It really is excellent, the ink lays down as well if not better than screening and it's not fading even with repeated washing. I don't know what or how they are doing it, but they are really doing a kickass job, nothing like the dye-sub iron-on jobs like Cafe Press used to do.

But you're right, this really is set up best for the uber-small batch stuff, it is way overpriced for single ink on white shirts. But when you only need 5 shirts, it's a way to do it without eating a ton of setup cost.

I used www.metalfabtrophy.com for our shirts. Disclosure - my wife's cousin owns it. He did a great job on our shirts. They're 100% cotton, silk-screened, and we still have plenty of room for profit.

I've moved this out of the Wartburg cave and into the light of the main forum as there is alot of good information for teams who wish to have shirts made up and they might miss it otherwise.

Sooo, since we've turned this into a T-shirt discussion thread.  For the teams who have brought shirts in the past what kind of numbers did you do?

Obviously it gets cheaper the more you produce but we dont want to be sitting on boxes of shirts at the end of the day.  Don't want to run out either.  Anyone found a happy medium?

Not looking to suppliment my income with this, we are hoping to bring them in cheap so we can share with everyone, just want to make sure I plan accordingly.

Badass! I want one.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT