Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

hehe. if you have no worries about handling, just open up the rear end of a crown vic, weld it solid with some grandpa gear ratio like 2.43 and angle the pumpkin straight up with the engine flat-mounted. Insane!  if you can make more than 350lbs of torque it should be pretty damn quick! big_smile

http://www.american-automobiles.com/images/Adams-Farwell-2.gif

parachutes in the car. One on the rear of the car.

So full of win. Good luck!

Serj wrote:

hehe. if you have no worries about handling, just open up the rear end of a crown vic, weld it solid with some grandpa gear ratio like 2.43 and angle the pumpkin straight up with the engine flat-mounted. Insane!  if you can make more than 350lbs of torque it should be pretty damn quick! big_smile

160hp at 1850rpm is about 450ft*lb.  Keep in mind that's an averaged value, it's really 2.5 spline-and-tooth-destroying pulses from a 100ci jug every revolution.  You might want to consider a gigantic flywheel and the driveline from a Peterbilt, or a magnetohydrodynamic toronado chain drive flux capacitor.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

megasquirt or modified Ford EEC-V would easily handle the FI duties.

A low pressure turbo or crank driven supercharger would be great to give it a kick up.

5 ducted high flow electric cooling fans should cool it sufficiently

Run an industrial 3 or 4 row chain from the motor to the 944 input shaft to increase the revs and allow the motor to be placed higher.

put the whole mess in a terrible car and you are golden

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Serj wrote:

use a torque converter to connect it and you're set.  5x the torque at stall up to direct drive...

Just use 2 rotors and calipers per side so you can slow down while the engine is running...

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

TheHeckler wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

Looking at the install pix from an M3 (not BMW, btw!), how about putting a ducted cooling fan on it, and using that as the sucker fan for downforce? Dangerous Homemade Technology, indeed. . .

With that, you could _almost_ delete the entire electrical system from the car - and could do so entirely if you could run a mechanical fuel pump off of the driveline.

As an aside, how does one start a radial without a prop to pull on?  Just like an RC plane, but with a much, much bigger cordless drill?

83 (edited by Travis E. 2010-05-19 02:13 PM)

No, you start it with a chicken stick.

fleming95 wrote:
TheHeckler wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

Looking at the install pix from an M3 (not BMW, btw!), how about putting a ducted cooling fan on it, and using that as the sucker fan for downforce? Dangerous Homemade Technology, indeed. . .

With that, you could _almost_ delete the entire electrical system from the car - and could do so entirely if you could run a mechanical fuel pump off of the driveline.

As an aside, how does one start a radial without a prop to pull on?  Just like an RC plane, but with a much, much bigger cordless drill?

I was thinking exactly the same thing (sucker fan).. if you use a manual trans, just push start it?

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

85 (edited by Junkyard Dog 2010-05-19 05:53 PM)

Man oh man.  A doff of the brain bucket to your special brand of madness, good sirs. You guys WIN even if it never moves. smile

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

TheHeckler wrote:

Why All the complexity?? just put a short propeller on the crankshaft and use the engine like its was originally designed. THAT WILL BE COMPLTETELY SAFE.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

That is just awesome!  I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Does it have the exhaust collector? I read somewhere that they're prone to cracking at th best of times.... might be a big time noise violation running open!

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

Does it have the exhaust collector? I read somewhere that they're prone to cracking at th best of times.... might be a big time noise violation running open!

no, that was one of the things that was not included. i'll be making a custom one

BUMP

Any updates on this?

Application deadline is in for the Blago 500; just wondering if (hoping that) this sucker'll be there.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

killerken53 wrote:

I don't know how well a steady-state engine like this rotary will respond to the constant throttle inputs needed in a car of any form......

likely the same way the gas turbines used on hovercraft do...badly.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

therood wrote:

BUMP

Any updates on this?

Application deadline is in for the Blago 500; just wondering if (hoping that) this sucker'll be there.

We'll be at the race, but not with this car/engine.

it turns out i spent most of my time collecting the missing pieces to the engine.

as it stands right now, i have all the pieces to put the engine together. I'm making gaskets still. it should be getting assembled soon.

I've also adapted the ignition system to use a pair of distributors from a 1986 Audi Coupe and I've found 5 carburetors to use.

I also found a 1991 MR2 chassis to put this engine in.

it'll definitely be in a 2011 race.

Buzz Killington wrote:
killerken53 wrote:

I don't know how well a steady-state engine like this rotary will respond to the constant throttle inputs needed in a car of any form......

likely the same way the gas turbines used on hovercraft do...badly.

yes, the stock system would not respond right, but we aren't running the stock ignition and carburation system.

the motor will still have significant amounts of inertia, but we believe it will be more than drivable

Marc wrote:

It should have been a Saab: born from jets, runt of the litter.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
Marc wrote:

It should have been a Saab: born from jets, runt of the litter.

That is quite funny smile

I spent lots of time looking for a body to put this in, the engine is VERY wide. we started with a crappy Porsche but it did not have the frame width. looked at a bunch of others including an early 80's Lincoln town car and even it had frame rails that were too narrow.

in the end, the only engine bays that were wide enough were traditionally transverse mounted engine bays. but we wanted a rear wheel drive car without having to completely alter the bodywork.

the MR2 is nice because it's cheap in bad shape. and if you cut out the rear trunk, the engine bay becomes 38" wide and 50" long.

cooling will be a bit of an issue with the airplane engine being mid-mounted but at least the issue of visibility seeing around a massive engine isn't there. plus, it does mean we can run shorty exhaust headers without violating the exhaust location rule. though we may have to install mufflers depending on how loud it ends up being.

Marc wrote:

I am mostly disappointed, but a bit relieved.  Although we had already instituted the rule to not follow directly behing the car with the Radial engine.  Have someone in between so they can get coated in oil. wink

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:
Marc wrote:

I am mostly disappointed, but a bit relieved.  Although we had already instituted the rule to not follow directly behing the car with the Radial engine.  Have someone in between so they can get coated in oil. wink

*LOL*

it really should not be that bad once the motor gets up to temperature.

until then, it'll be a damn oil bath out the tailpipes.

my backup plan if the oil is too bad is to merge all 5 pipes and provide an ignition source to just burn it off.

we're figuring the entire county will smell like the Klotz oil we'll be running within 1hr of the race starting.

Marc wrote:

my backup plan if the oil is too bad is to merge all 5 pipes and provide an ignition source to just burn it off.

If the oil isn't bad enough, you need to inject some more and make this afterburner shit happen. It isn't done right until the tires on the car next to you start burning.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Are you using an automatic? Torque converter? This would top the Wartburg and Dauphine for wackiness..

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Wow, I just now saw this?

Actually, from what I understand of Diesel EFI is that the rate of air intake is constant and that throttle is controlled by pushing more/less fuel in, so EFI is a great idea.

-71 series Detroit Diesels have no throttle plates. Engine speed is directly controlled by the amount of fuel the fuel injectors push into the cylinder. It's a two-stroke with a blower pushing the intake air through an air box around the cylinder sleeves. Hence, if something goes wrong and oil starts leaking past the blower seals your engine runs away, eventually throwing parts all over at about 5000rpm depending on how well it was put together.

I would use slide throttles just for fun.