Re: Car Claiming: What really goes down?

Maybe not a cheap upgrade, but if a team wins I Got Screwed, maybe they should have the ability to claim a cheater for 500$ sans safety gear, i.e. belts, seat, fire bottle etc. or swap their car with a cheater straight up.....still lots of deterrent effect and the poor bastards who prep'd for weeks or months go home with more than a hangover.....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

Maybe not a cheap upgrade, but if a team wins I Got Screwed, maybe they should have the ability to claim a cheater for 500$

Maybe not ANY cheater... but what about a straight up swap with the People's Curse, THEN the 'I Got Screwedmobile' gets front-end loaded?

It's all moot anyway, Not My Race. :-D

Troy wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Only bad thing is, never have a rule that you won't enforce. It disrespects everybody and encourages flaunting all the rules. I'd just quietly remove that clause, and rely on peoples curse and stiff judging penalties.

1.5: Winners and Prizes: Recipient of the People's Choice Award, as determined by totally unscientific, and almost certainly totally unfair, pit-side opinion and chitchat, receives $500.

I've done 3 races and never voted on the People's Choice.  Supposedly we are not competitent enough but we can still vote to curse a car.

Sorry to disappoint you guys, I'm not a lawyer.  Just posted info from a business law class about contracts. 

So, is the issue black and white?  Judging from this discussion, you decide.

Maybe I ain't that smart, but I don't get what you are saying here. Your response to my post is unrelated. What relation does peoples choice have to Jay claiming a car? I've voted Peoples Choice every time as some people have great themes - a bunch of them actually!, but didn't vote people curse every time since the driving keeps getting better. What does that prove? Nothing really. Just no point in rules you ain't gonna use. It doesn't discourage cheaters if you never use it, so why bother?

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

wrote:

Maybe I ain't that smart, but I don't get what you are saying here. Your response to my post is unrelated. What relation does peoples choice have to Jay claiming a car? I've voted Peoples Choice every time as some people have great themes - a bunch of them actually!, but didn't vote people curse every time since the driving keeps getting better. What does that prove? Nothing really. Just no point in rules you ain't gonna use. It doesn't discourage cheaters if you never use it, so why bother?

My point is, there are things in the rules that don't happen or happen differently from the rules.

I also just realized the People's Choice is not worded as something which is voted on like the Curse.  However, they also refer to it as the Organizer's Choice now but it is still in the new rules as People's Choice.

Themes/Team Concepts are also not in the rules.  That's on the entry form but not in the rules.  Theme related expenses however are supposed to count toward the $500 budget but are typically overlooked.

So everything doesn't go by the rules, maybe it's "the spirit of Lemons."

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

55 (edited by Junkyard Dog 2009-06-27 08:11 PM)

Chrissakes, people. Lemons is all about FUN. If you start dragging lawyers and lawsuits into it because things didn't go your way even though you read and signed the statement of the rules of the race, you'll ruin it for those who ARE willing to have some fun and take a chance. Like the rules say: all participants are expected to show a certain spirit and play well with others. If you feel it's that damn important that you have to have a lawyer on standby for a race for $500 crapcans, you obviously don't have the spirit and can't play well with others, do all of us a favor and DON'T SHOW UP.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

56 (edited by troubleonwheels 2009-06-28 08:40 AM)

JUDGES!!!!  This is clearly and opportunity!!!  Pay attention to all the hawk-ish lawer-ish whining-ish folks in this thread...

Then, when you see them in the black flag box, pour a 40oz on em. 

When teams bring you bad beer, you pour it on their car.  When people bring you bad karma, I still say pour bad beer on em smile

Maybe we'll just make 'em copy out the Unabomber's manifesto on their car hoods.

Junkyard Dog wrote:

Chrissakes, people. Lemons is all about FUN. If you start dragging lawyers and lawsuits into it because things didn't go your way even though you read and signed the statement of the rules of the race, you'll ruin it for those who ARE willing to have some fun and take a chance. Like the rules say: all participants are expected to show a certain spirit and play well with others. If you feel it's that damn important that you have to have a lawyer on standby for a race for $500 crapcans, you obviously don't have the spirit and can't play well with others, do all of us a favor and DON'T SHOW UP.

agreed 100%

troubleonwheels wrote:

JUDGES!!!!  This is clearly and opportunity!!!  Pay attention to all the hawk-ish lawer-ish whining-ish folks in this thread...

HEY!  not all of us are anti-fun, ya bastid.  wink  no one in this thread seems like a whiner, anyway.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11