Topic: Pull trigger on roll cage $ versus when get notified made the event

How do others plan for this?  Obviously would be a bummer to put down the money for the roll cage and not be admitted into the event. I guess the question boils down to "how long after registration closes can we expect to be notified that our entry was admitted or not into the event?

BARBIE MUST WIN Racing!
BMW 6 Series ... "All Bitched Out!"

Re: Pull trigger on roll cage $ versus when get notified made the event

You get notified within a few days after registration closes.  That should yield plent of time for the cage (two months plus).

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Last year and this year we've started out building the cage early.  Its a bit of risk, but even if we don't get in, its not like that money is gone: the car is still there, the cage is still there.  Unless you built it to the absolute bare minimum of the current rules and get nailed by a rule change in the following year, you can always try again the next year.

It also gives you a BIG incentive to work your ass off on the theme.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Jer wrote:

You get notified within a few days after registration closes.  That should yield plent of time for the cage (two months plus).

Or you could be like me and wait until 2 weeks before and then drop it off at Robs house in the middle of the night and beg!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Two days later is good news, not a last minute person, but given we wouldn't be able to make the left coast or right coast races, didn't want to be caught with our shorts down

This forum has been dang handy, thanks men!

BARBIE MUST WIN Racing!
BMW 6 Series ... "All Bitched Out!"

Yeah, we didn't start anything to our car until we were officially accepted, well close to it.  I believe we would have little use for a Colt with a cage in it if we were not accepted to race.  8-9 weeks is plenty enough time to do everything to a Lemons car to get it ready with a little bit of dedication.  It will all be a lemony blur, but all of the hard work in crunch time is definitely worth it.  Good luck to you.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

We went with the do all the cheap/easy/free stuff BEFORE the deadline so if we get in, we only have the cage, seat, harness, etc... after getting accepted.

Our interior is stripped (glass still in), sound deading removed, body work done (body work is a bit misleading, beating the shit of the fenders with a hammer is more like it).  Stuff like that takes time and is better done in the beginning, not the end.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

I'm planning for the lamest day. If I don't get in we will just race the car elsewhere. That is part of the upside  of haveing more stringent cage requirments, other racing groups will allow the car in.

We will wait to build the Miata until we are sure that we are accepted in the Lamest Day.  Surprisingly, that deadline is not that far away (3+ weeks!)

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

This is definately a delima.  With the new cage rules, quality is more of an issue than before in addition to the double door bars.  If you are considering a bolt in cage like an AutoPower or Kirk cage, they take about 4 weeks+ to get so keep that in mind.

My car has a Jegster kit which required a lot of cutting, notching and welding.  It was by no means a weekend install.   It's still not all in the car.  Now that I have done one, I could do it again much faster.  My car needed a lot of restoration type work just to put a cage in since the floors were pretty much completely rusted out.  I don't rememebr what the wait time was but when it arrived, some parts were missing and it took another week or two for the freight company to get the whole cage here.

Point is, you can wait on acceptance for the cage but you better have a plan cause you may be waiting a month to get a cage kit and by then your timeline is pretty short.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

RogueLeader wrote:
Jer wrote:

Or you could be like me and wait until 2 weeks before and then drop it off at Robs house in the middle of the night and beg!

This one seems to work for a lot of poeple...

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Found your calling, Rob?  wink

Jer wrote:

Found your calling, Rob?  wink

If it wasn't for Rob team Farfrumwinnin would be watching from the stands thanks to a cage builder who decided after we dropped the car off (100 miles from home, and driven thru NYC no less) and promised it to be done when we made it clear to him we had NO time, decided the next day sorry I can't do it... 

Robs our hero!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Since the cage will be the biggest outlay of ca$h , we are waiting for our acceptance before ordering one.  Hopefully the fabricator won't be too far behind schedule.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!