1 (edited by evilkiksass 2009-05-28 10:15 AM)

Topic: Local Machine Shops?

We pulled our engine apart and noticed that we had a spun rod and a damaged crankshaft. We will need to have them reground. Are there any Lemons members in the bay area who do this kind of work? If so could they give me a rough estimate on price?

This is an 81 datsun 200sx. The engine is a Z20E.

Re: Local Machine Shops?

Bay Area is pretty large.  If nobody else has any suggestions, I'd try Al Hubbard Machine in Hayward.  Their phone number is 510.537.1885.  I've used them for lots of stuff and they seem reasonably priced.

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

I'll vouch for Al Hubbard, too- had some work done there and it was good and not insanely expensive.

Jacks Engines in San Leandr0 Jacks Engine Supply 442 Hester St San Leandro, CA (510) 569-5690

. Old school - great prices and high quality. They've built several motors for me and done excellent work. 440, 428cj, 351 cleveland, 500 Cadillac, 390 AMC all ran real strong!! The owner also builds jetpacks so he know what he's doin!

I've heard good things about Jack's, too.

Nissan Z20/Z22/Z24 engines aren't hard to find in the junkyards- plenty of 80s Datsun/Nissan pickups out there. If you can wait until the next Half Price Day sale at Pick Your Part (they usually have one each month) you should be able to grab a long block for $100 or so.

You could also buy a wrecked/ugly complete car or truck. That way you'd have a bunch of spare parts. Here's a '74 Datsun pickup in Reno, if you're willing to haul it back.