Topic: cat converters

In general with a 90's mustang 3.8, will busting out the cat materials with a rod to create more flow (and noise!) do anything bad to the computer that runs the engine?  Used to be able to find "test pipes" but not anymore.  Did they get outlawed?  Thanks

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

Re: cat converters

Stovebolt wrote:

In general with a 90's mustang 3.8, will busting out the cat materials with a rod to create more flow (and noise!) do anything bad to the computer that runs the engine?  Used to be able to find "test pipes" but not anymore.  Did they get outlawed?  Thanks

It will not mess up the computer and will definitely improve flow.

Test pipes are still out there just gotta look harder.  It never was legal to install a test pipe on a street car, however not every car is a street car, and therefore its NOT illegal to sell.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Gutting/removing your cat won't have any negative effect on your car other than maybe triggering the check engine light, but there will be no performance loss.

I'd recommend cutting your cat out and selling it for scrap instead of gutting it. Some factory cats are worth big bucks for the precious metals inside.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:

Gutting/removing your cat won't have any negative effect on your car other than maybe triggering the check engine light, but there will be no performance loss.

I'd recommend cutting your cat out and selling it for scrap instead of gutting it. Some factory cats are worth big bucks for the precious metals inside.

OK souinds good.  I was trying to avoid CEL or limp mode.  My neighbor actually has a huge business recycling metals from cat converters, so I know PT/PL is valuable!

Any one found a source of test pipes for mustangs?  Its not a Dahatsui or some other POS, its a domestic POS so parts should be easier to come by!

----------
Scott
Houston TX

Maybe this is why they are hard to find - OBD II doesn't like them?  From a vendor doing CYA on ebay.  BTW, he was only selling the intake side, have not found a test pipe for cat side....
---------------------

"For OBD-II vehicles, the use of any manifolds or test pipes may remove a Catalytic Converter, in doing so this will trigger a Check Engine Light due to Catalytic Converter failure; this sometimes can cause the vehicle to enter into a "Null Mode" which can alter the vehicles performance in a negative fashion. "

----------
Scott
Houston TX

Stovebolt wrote:

Maybe this is why they are hard to find - OBD II doesn't like them?  From a vendor doing CYA on ebay.  BTW, he was only selling the intake side, have not found a test pipe for cat side....
---------------------

"For OBD-II vehicles, the use of any manifolds or test pipes may remove a Catalytic Converter, in doing so this will trigger a Check Engine Light due to Catalytic Converter failure; this sometimes can cause the vehicle to enter into a "Null Mode" which can alter the vehicles performance in a negative fashion. "

Are CEL eliminators not available for a Mustang?  Basically the ECU looks for a slow steady signal from the second 02 sensor and the CEL eliminator provides just that to the ECU to keep it from going into limp mode.

I'm not sure how they work for a Ford, but on my Chevy Z-24 I bought one from Summit and it works like a charm.  In NC the emissions test is doen via the OBD-II port (no visual) so as long as there is no CEL my car passes...since I've deleted the cat about three years ago.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

It's pretty much just a resistor that replaces the sensor.  We did this on the GM L67 3.8 SC cars. 
Do a little research and I'm sure you can find a solution for your Mustang. 

-Scott

Scott Barton

Thanks, will look into the electrical properties of the operating sensor and work that issue, can try it with Cat installed and see if it works before ....  Great idea.  That and the old nascar fire suit link has made this forum a handy thing in last 24 hours! tongue

----------
Scott
Houston TX

VKZ24 wrote:

Are CEL eliminators not available for a Mustang?  Basically the ECU looks for a slow steady signal from the second 02 sensor and the CEL eliminator provides just that to the ECU to keep it from going into limp mode.

They definitely make them for the V8 Mustangs and I'd be willing to bet they'd work on the V6 too.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

10 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-07-09 05:41 PM)

uh...this is Lemons, dude.  they sell "test pipes" all over.  buy a piece of damn exhaust tubing in whatever diameter you need, cut it to length, and weld the thing on.  oy vey.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Or Sawzall the flanges off, slip on some flex pipe and clamp it on....just add a hangar or two to keep it tight

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Sometimes those cats are tough to knock out, but it's way more cost effective than buying a test pipe.  prepare to use every kind of poker and prybar in your tool box.  Don't worry about the CEL.  The cat CEL won't though it in to limp mode.

Put an ohm meter across the O2 in question with the engine up to operating temp (and ideally under load), you will get the resistance value you are looking for. Take that resistance value and get the closest matching resistor at Radio Shack ($0.20), cut the wires from the O2 and put the resistor in it's place. No CEL and no retarded timings.

And instead of gutting the cats, why not cut them out entirely (you might be able to sell them) and then weld in straight pipe.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

Stovebolt wrote:

Don't punch out the material It causes your cat to become a turbulence chamber. Just cut them out and sell them to a recycler. I know of a few recyclers that pay GOOD money for catalytic converters.

Just buy a length of pipe from either a parts store, exhaust shop, or summit for dirt cheap. Cut it to replace the length of the cats and weld in... Easier and no exhaust turbulence.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Yeah, cats can be worth quite a bit.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Yeah, cats can be worth quite a bit.

I got $100 for 2 converters from a recycler. That's way better than aluminum cans.......It's so much better, that thieves are going around and cutting off the cats on trucks and vans.

Damn- I saw the title of this post and thought there was a way to get rid of the old ladies Cats...

#E30 & #325i Mazda Mx-6 and turbo....14psi boost is a good thing right?
#114 1990 Mazda 323- Zoom-Zoom..Boom (Blah- too slow, but my first love)

C.Plavan wrote:

Damn- I saw the title of this post and thought there was a way to get rid of the old ladies Cats...

ROFLMAOPIMP!!!

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"