Topic: Revival of the turbo eating mx6?

The Houston racers will know most of our story, Red 1st gen mx6. Total of 7 hours on the track between two races...

The issue has spawned from the turbo'ed 2.2l that our car came with. Shaft on the turbo(s) have split in half, we have done it 3 times. There is a trophy sitting on someones shelf made from half of the 1st one.

So while searching for a donar car within reason, and cost, we stumbled on a miata, and ran at NPR in Lousiana with the barbie theme. We are working on a good theme for it in October.

Our Mx6 has everything ready to go to hit the track, save a powerplant. I ended up giving $100 for my brother's old probe GT that has a bad fuel pump and needs a clutch. The kid who my brother sold it to many years ago never finished paying for it to  my brother, and never got the title. So when the city got on to him about having it parked, he called me to get a title so he could send it to the crusher. I bought it from him, thinking maybe it would be a good racecar for a Lemons team, or we could build it, etc.

I got to looking around under the hood, and the mounts look to be in the same place, location and even look about the same as the Mx6's. It may be that it looks close, but I think the powertrain from the probe will drop right in the MX6. I cant find anyone on the web doing it, but we are going to give it a shot.

I can only assume that by the rules, we are still well within budget with a $100 donar car's powertrian and wiring, right? We only spent $175 on the MX6 to begin with, and it has yet to complete a full day of racing. Hell, the kid gave me the clutch that he bought for the probe!

I will post the build progress as we get it started, we would like to run it in the October race, but dont have the time or drivers to fill the need. If there is a Feb race in Houston, we want to take the mx6!

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r119/Baron733/Lemons.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

2 (edited by the head 2009-07-15 06:36 AM)

Re: Revival of the turbo eating mx6?

If they are both first gen cars the MX-6 and the Probe share underpinnings and powerplants

The turbo probe motor has a lot of mazda part number stampings also.  as for the shafts splitting sounds like an oiling problem

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

the head wrote:

If they are both first gen cars the MX-6 and the Probe share underpinnings and powerplants

The turbo probe motor has a lot of mazda part number stampings also.  as for the shafts splitting sounds like an oiling problem

yeah, mx6 is a 1st gen, probe is a 2nd. Should be interesting.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Drop in a Cadillac Northstar v8?

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

TeamDFL wrote:

Drop in a Cadillac Northstar v8?

We actually joked about a 5.3 out of a malibu/impala.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:
the head wrote:

ah, so you're trying to drop the probe V6 into the MX6 (the only made 2 gens of probes...1st gen GT: turbo; 2nd gen GT: 2.5L V6).

why not just prep the probe?

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
Baron wrote:
the head wrote:

ah, so you're trying to drop the probe V6 into the MX6 (the only made 2 gens of probes...1st gen GT: turbo; 2nd gen GT: 2.5L V6).

why not just prep the probe?

Well, mostly due to the fact that the mx6 has an outstanding cage that is done, etc.

prepping the probe would be more work, it hasnt been on the road in many years.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs