Topic: Could use a 5th driver for the Rod B race (short notice)

Yeah, it's the wrong forum to post this, but the HR forum doesn't get much traffic, and I only have a couple days to sign someone else up. I have two total n00bs (friend + cousin), one guy who did like 10 minutes at Summit Point and was more or less panicked, and myself. Pit crew wise, I have like 5-7 people coming, but I sure could use another driver to defray the cost a bit. If you already have a Lemons 2010 license, and you want to pilot a 1977 Lancia Scorpion that probably won't be finished enough to pass tech until around the time the race is starting, email me at speedycop@comcast.net, or respond here. We're going for I.O.E. with the ULTRA-RARE Scorpion, but at Jay's suggestion for a shot at more than a lap or two,  we're doing it with MR2 power.

Let me know if you want in. $500 arrive and drive (5th position), you bring your gear, Lemons license, a good team attitude, and the ability to run clean and smooth on the track. If my cobbled heap fails to hit the track, you get half of that back (Lemons fees will have already eaten the other half). Otherwise, you take your chances, like the rest of us. I am thinking 20 minute turns the first go around, then maybe 45-50 minutes, if we are that lucky.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Re: Could use a 5th driver for the Rod B race (short notice)

Update:
Still no takers. I realize I could sell it better by leaving out the iffy parts, but I'm a straight shooter. There's been huge progress on the car this week, and my wife even helped me last night. Here's a vid of the car before the swap began:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKJ7GTeE … r_embedded

The MR2 drivetrain is in place, more or less. It's gonna make it. If you were thinking of joining, lemme know---the database closes today!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

I can't fully commit, but I will give you a big maybe :-)

It will mostly depend on if I buy a house or not and I will know by the 18th... 

I don't know if that is to late, or if anyone takes you up on this.

my email is: matt.g.eddy [at] gmail.com

I was at the Bull Oil Race this weekend and had a BLAST!  I am a pretty experienced driver and was turning some of the best times on the team, so I fit teh experience criteria you are looking for.

I think I might know someone who would be interested in running with you if I can't make it.  Ill email him right now.

Take care,
Matt

Lemons Car: '96 "Legs" Neon #69
Track car: '91 MR2 with a 3.0L V6 swap
Blog: http://consummatedriver.blogspot.com/

Woohoo, Lancia Scorpion!

I loves me some scorpion, wish I could join you.  I actually have wheel time with one of them.  MR2 is a nice choice, I always favored the Alfa 164 drivetrain...but mostly just cause its eye (and ear) candy.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Speedycop wrote:

Update:
Still no takers. I realize I could sell it better by leaving out the iffy parts, but I'm a straight shooter. There's been huge progress on the car this week, and my wife even helped me last night. Here's a vid of the car before the swap began:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKJ7GTeE … r_embedded

I know swaps are a habit of yours, but in this case, WHY!? I see it moving, that means it's good enough.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Jay himself said it was incredibly rare for one of them to actually still be running, and likened it to a ticking time bomb. I think we figured his knowledge of low-production Italian cars trumped ours, so we ran with it...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

A certain Chief Perp thought it would help our chances slightly, given that these cars were notoriously unreliable even when brand new. If ANYTHING failed, with no spares or parts available, we'd be done. 12-14 hours each way, $1100 in entry fees, and all the build hassles for that? We're 1 for 4 on epic IOE attempts. This one should be just as epic...

1 for 5, woooo!

They actually aren't that unreliable when properly sorted.  That said, I gots no issue with your plan wink

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

11 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-10-13 04:54 PM)

i really wish i could jump on this.  that should be a lot of fun.

anyone who is considering this should, IMO, have 100% confidence that this car will be on track.  after seeing how jeff got the t-bird up and running at stafford, this should be a walk in the park.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

If you still need someone on day 2, as in the car is still functional, I might do it. Go talk to team rally rolla, the subaru looking corolla on sunday.

Rally Rolla: 2010 American Irony 2010 25th, 2010 Blagojevich 500 11th
Nohow Racing Audi: 2010 Bull Oil GP 22nd?

hey jeff, should i try and bring turkey legs again? hehehehe (my dad will probably hate me for it)

We've got two guys allegedly bringing coolers full of meat, so I think we're good on that front. big_smile
Cheese curds would be most welcome, however.

Two prospective drivers have backed out. I still have an opening. Car is coming along really nicely! Cage is almost done. I have to finish running the welds, but the hard part is making all the pipes fit, and they do. I still need two rear backstays, and one front strut tower bar, but it looks damn good to me. I spent well over an hour on the steering wheel. I took the Lancia wheel off the Scorp chassis, cut out the welded hub, welded a plate, drilled it out, and welded the quick release splined hub to the column. Now all I need is three bolts, and we'll have on original Scorpion wheel with Lancia on the horn button, and pushbutton quick release!

16 (edited by kalpol 2010-10-19 09:40 AM)

I'd do it in a second if I was in the area.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Speedycop wrote:

Cage is almost done. I have to finish running the welds, but the hard part is making all the pipes fit, and they do. I still need two rear backstays, and one front strut tower bar, but it looks damn good to me.

I spent well over an hour on the steering wheel. I took the Lancia wheel off the Scorp chassis, cut out the welded hub, welded a plate, drilled it out, and welded the quick release splined hub to the column. Now all I need is three bolts, and we'll have on original Scorpion wheel with Lancia on the horn button, and pushbutton quick release!

Excellent choice of priorities as always.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Sorry, I won't be able to make it like I had hoped.  Good luck!

Lemons Car: '96 "Legs" Neon #69
Track car: '91 MR2 with a 3.0L V6 swap
Blog: http://consummatedriver.blogspot.com/

Perhaps we can talk Jay into bringing his gear and taking a turn behind the wheel. He still has the Saab race suit that he wore while setting some obscure land-speed record 20 years ago.

Bummer, I'll be in MKE at a wedding.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Judge Phil wrote:

Perhaps we can talk Jay into bringing his gear and taking a turn behind the wheel. He still has the Saab race suit that he wore while setting some obscure land-speed record 20 years ago.

Wonder if the SFI rating is still good on it!  smile

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

You, Nick, or Jay would be most welcome to drive it for a stint.

I finished the cage about 9:30 last night. Now to start on the floor/seat/harness/wiring/cutoff/tuneup/cam cover gasket/brakes/rotors/caliper swap/radiator/fans/mount/doors/etc.  smile

It will be done enough to test drive and then leave tonight. At least I have help today...FINALLY! I'll have plenty more at the track, I'll have more than ten guys there for this.

ten men, 1 hour each= 10 man hours.  You could put a whole work week in just 4 hours!

If only the car was big enough for 10 people to work on at once.

Best of luck to you and the team.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!