Topic: Houston - Track Day for Practice Aug -09 -- Join in the fun!

Everyone,

We can do a track day at GrandSport Speedway down by the dog track:
http://www.grandsportspeedway.com/

We're looking at a Friday or weekend date in August.  There will be cost involved, but it should be very reasonable.  This includes an ambulance at 75/hr, insurance 750/day, & the track from 9-5.
As many cars as we want!   It will depend on how many cars we get but I'd like to get cost down to $400 per car, or like $100 each for a team member of 4 per team!  Compare the amount of track time to commercially available operations and you'll see what deal this is.

We will be there with our Speed Racer Mach5.

You can email me scott.snowboard at gmail., or here on the forum although I don't check this as often. 

Invite anyone you know who wants to do a track day, you don't need a full roll cage or fire suit, etc.  You can drive the family truckster or your new 'Vette, motorcycles, whatever.

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

Re: Houston - Track Day for Practice Aug -09 -- Join in the fun!

Man wish I was closer id be all over this

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder here.

I can't make any promises about this yet but I talked to Leslie at MSR about an early Test & Tune day.

We talked about late a September or early October date.

Basically, I asked if she would allow Lemons teams to come out and run on a member weekend and run the course clockwise like we race.

TWS has various options to run on their track too.  They have been offering 4 hour open track events on Fridays for like $200.

They have various Test & Tune days too which may be additional options.

Harris Hill road has also offered Test & Tune days for Lemons in the past.

I'll let you guys know about MSR.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

No harm - The estimate on cost at the proposed August test day may go down if we have enough participants to spread the cost adequately.   I have not heard much interest here so I also added to the Chump Car list and also talked today to some folks who were going to give the info to a corvette club and porsche club, who would could let sully our session if we need some extra cars to make it affordable.  I also sent a note to a friend who does autocross with the local BMW club, so if there is interest we should know soon.

Stovebolt

----------
Scott
Houston TX

Oh yea, I did the HHR test day in San Marcos TX and we loved that track.  It was great fun, lots of elevation, and from the pits you see nearly the entire track as the pits are high and the track in a valley below mostly.  A bit of a drive that ate up some diesel getting there and back but we loved it.  I don't think they are open to outsiders much, but more would be fun.

----------
Scott
Houston TX

HHR is starting to put on DE's which will give you more opportunities to run out there.  They have offered severl Lemons Test & Tune sessions in the past.  I'm on the west side of Houston and it took me about 2.25 hours to get there.

HHR hasn't sold thier LeMon car yet that I am aware of.  Maybe they will decide to race again in October.

TWS hosts lots of DE's and is about 1.25 hour from me.  Takes about the same amount of time to get to MSR. 

They have a Test & Tune day Friday, July 31 before the nASA race.  I think it's $200 per car for the day.  You'll have to contact them to see if they will let you run.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Test and Tune is Booked!

August 22nd - Just south of Houston on the way to Galveston TX

we just reserved the date.  The cost is going to be 3350 to include track, insurance, & ambulance.

http://www.grandsportspeedway.com/

Rules are:
1. No alcohol
2. Must have SA2000 or newer helmet (on your head!) FYI: motorcycle helmets won't work!
3. Nomex if you are in a race car.
4. Long pants (no nylon workout pants) such as cotton or jeans for people driving street legal cars.
5. No passengers are allowed unless you are a licensed instructor.  (insurance stipulation)
FYI: If you want to show someone the fastest line; have them do a "lead and follow" at 60% full speed to be safe.

We have the track from 9-5
Gate opens at 8am.
Mandatory Drivers meeting at 8:45

Some of the buildings were lost in the hurricane but they do have port-a-potties.
I suggest bringing some tailgating popup tents for shade and coolers with tons of water, etc. 

Email me at:  dozenne at gmail.com if you want me to put your name on the list and let me know when your check was mailed!

Gonna limit it to about 20 cars as we don't want to much traffic.

Cost will be 250.00 per person - but remember depends on how many we get.

If we get more then I will refund cash to everyone.
If we get less than expected/ bring money or your check book.

We will be creating a google doc that I will share with those that want to come so you can see who is coming and what they will be driving.

----------
Scott
Houston TX

So 5 drivers in one car is going to be $1,250?   
Did you mean $250 a car?

9 (edited by cc 76 2009-07-28 02:10 PM)

What are the rules as far as open top cars that have not had a cage installed yet?

Team Apex Vinyl: 1977 Toyota Truck
Gator-O-Rama 2009 Dangerous Banned Technology
Yee-Haw 2011 Index Of Effluency
Gator-O-Rama 2012 I Got Screwed