Topic: re: Need some Help from other Volvo teams for Keystone Kops team

Ok so we entered the old 1984 244 Volvo in the upcoming race at Nelsons Ledge in October. Was wondering if we could reach out to some of the other's that have raced Volvo's at the road courses before. Our Keystone Kops car has only run the New England race finished 4th in '08 & 7th in '09 but we have concerns with this larger track and what we may run into. Looking to reach anyone to discuss Thanks SteveO

#240 Keystone Kops 1984 Volvo 244 Sedan
#242 Jew-Wop-E 1979 Volvo V8 Coupe

Re: re: Need some Help from other Volvo teams for Keystone Kops team

Hey, Steve:

Not sure what you guys are running for brakes, but that tends to be the biggest difference between short and long tracks. Higher speeds=harder use of brakes. Race brake pads (even on stock calipers and rotors) do wonders, and high-temp fluid also seems to come in handy.

The Black Metal V8olvo '84 244, which weighs a shit-ton more than a non-V8 240, has run several races (including Reno-Fernley and Thunderhill, both pretty high-speed) and hasn't had any brake problems yet. It's got all stock brake hardware, with hi-temp fluid and Porterfield pads (supposedly it's not a huge challenge to hack RX7 front rotors to fit a 240, but it hasn't seemed necessary). You need to bleed the living hell out of the system, since any air in the lines will cause badness at high temps, and that's a real PITA with the super-safe double-everything 240 brake system.

Back in the days when there was a lot more contact (i.e., Altamont), 240s tended to get hit in the right rear and lose the fuel filler pipe, which led to massive leakage and much time in the pits. It's a good idea to move the filler so it doesn't go through the quarter panel, just in case.

I think the best guys to talk to about 240 large-track driving strategy would be the Bernal Dads, who have run a (Volvo-engined) 245 in many races and have always done well. I can't recall seeing them on the forum, so I'll send an email and see about getting one of them to help you out.

Thanks for the suggestions. Brakes are a big concern. We lucked out and picked up a true 5 speed volvo transmssion today Say good bye to the old 4 speed with electic overdrive. Any one with any help can contact me by email at sowens@keystonemotors.com Thanks for the Help, Steve O

#240 Keystone Kops 1984 Volvo 244 Sedan
#242 Jew-Wop-E 1979 Volvo V8 Coupe