Re: Long lost Tyrell-Corvette-Peterbuilt on ebay

You are officially the craziest sumbitch I've ever seen.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

102 (edited by Speedycop 2010-11-16 04:31 PM)

Brian, I owe you a tall cold one! Just a couple grand to go...
Hopefully my coworker pays up promptly for my Polaris 4x4 ATV...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

I can't imagine any Lemons car better than this, although the Yugo Whalemobile would have come close.

Whalemobile was just sculpted fiberglass. This is homebuilt mechanical insanity. Therefore, it was right up my alley.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

....somehow i knew you'd win it, but that's a seriously crack pipe price for a seriously crack pipe car. this thing's gonna do like 200mph down the straight, and 5 in the corner...

So the thing I most want to see on this is the double diff setup in the rear.  Did the guy seriously fabricate a second pinion housing to mesh another pinion to the back of the forward ring gear?

Good luck:

Tuning those carbs
Un-ratting the rats nets wiring
Aligning the car
Adjusting the second steering mechanism
Putting a roll cage in it
Bleeding the brakes
Paying for tires
Going around corners

Can't wait to see it.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

I worry about you some times Speedy. But I really want to meet ya.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

You gonna be in NOLA this weekend?

Speedycop wrote:

You gonna be in NOLA this weekend?

Was planning on it. Even had everything ready to ACTUALLY race...

Then I was informed that I am to be the best man in a military buddies wedding. I MAY... MAY be able to talk the wife into a drive down on Sunday but no promises.

Problem is if I do make it I have to be all incognito since I'll be wearing my human mask and not my natural helmet.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

110 (edited by Team Infinniti 2010-11-16 06:30 PM)

DaveH wrote:

Good luck:

Tuning those carbs
Aligning the car
Bleeding the brakes
Paying for tires
Going around corners

I bet it aint all that bad, the carbs once clean will be fine, the wires look VERY tidy, alignment may have challenges but construction looks fine, cage? easy! the whole frame is sturdy, tie in anywhere, brakes? no problem theres plenty of them, corners? who cares try to pass that thing..lol

The only thing I could not see from the pics was the drive shaft, and yes we are curious how thats going to work

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

DaveH wrote:

So the thing I most want to see on this is the double diff setup in the rear.  Did the guy seriously fabricate a second pinion housing to mesh another pinion to the back of the forward ring gear?

An identical pinion housing bolted to the back, upside down will turn the same direction as the front. There are a few axle housings that will enable you to do this. This must be one of them. It's just like an interaxle diff on a truck.

Good luck:

Tuning those carbs-Likely fine unless they've been sitting with fuel. I found instructions online for them, WITH those manifolds from Racing Beat.

Un-ratting the rats nets wiring-Looks good, but I would expect minor problems. But they are mostly for the spaceship gauge setup so whatever.

Aligning the car-Well, yeah.

Adjusting the second steering mechanism-I would imagine he had them steer at the same ratio. PROBLY not that big of a deal to just run it like that.

Putting a roll cage in it-Gonna be some head-scratching for sure. The whole thing looks to be made from 2x2 square tubing, lol,

Bleeding the brakes-Has dual MC's which SHOULD be operating a front and rear pair each. Not a big deal, hell, he only needs one system to work!

Paying for tires-They look new and shitty. Thankfully, there are 8.

Going around corners-I'm going to predict it to be surprisingly capable. And I don't have faith in many things like this.

I want to know why, after 1000's of hours of work, it's at this stage of completion? I want to know the entire life story of the eccentric that built it. I want to know the condition/build of the engine(s). How much does it weigh?  Why is there 2 gas tanks?

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

The eccentric is dead, build halted.  As for the story, we can put you in touch with the family attorney... he's just as amused as the rest of us.  The rest will follow as soon as we get it out of IL.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

I see the most complicated and math comprehensive challenge will be aligning the front wheels and adjusting proper turn ratio to allow all wheels to follow the properly alignment for turn efficiency (not scrubbing any tires).

It is obvious the front most wheels will turn in a larger radius but tuning the power steering (if not already tuned) will be... interesting.

Sons of STIG

114 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-11-16 08:35 PM)

sorry for your loss.  but i can tell you the car has landed among a group that really, really, appreciates it.

Speedycop wrote:

It's worth it to me to sell off other toys

whaddaya got?  smile

also, you had better get this thing to NJMP, as that is my only Lemons race for next year and i want to see it.  PP on the way to you, you friggin insane bastard.

Speedycop wrote:

Whalemobile was just sculpted fiberglass.

except the Whalemobile made me laugh out loud every single time i saw it.  i won't go into the level of my desire for the whalemobile, but the fact that it was not suitable for living in was what likely saved my marriage.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Someone care to post a pic of said Whalemobile?

'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

116 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-11-16 08:49 PM)

Here is the ad:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/j … ugo-SS.jpg

Imagine seeing that thing in your rear-view mirror on the front straight.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

117 (edited by DC Doug 2010-11-16 09:00 PM)

Buzz, I'm with the group (TPB) that will be campaigning the Tyrellesque-thing. 

Regarding Whalemobile, OMG!  So, did someone Lemonized it or was it a Lemons white whale?  All puns intended.

Bill Heckler had some pretty good thinking at post 16 on the original Tyrell 6-wheeler thread:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 80&p=1

I can see the front end giving you really serious problems at speed if those wheels aren't all turning together properly. I'd think that the scrub would be so bad that it could make it not turn at all.

If I could have made the NJMP race I would have been so all over this. Damnit.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

119 (edited by EyeMWing 2010-11-16 10:06 PM)

Riktor wrote:

I see the most complicated and math comprehensive challenge will be aligning the front wheels and adjusting proper turn ratio to allow all wheels to follow the properly alignment for turn efficiency (not scrubbing any tires).

That is if the original build didn't take care of that already.

There are some truck manufacturers (Western Star, for starters) that have some twin steer models - so there are production systems out there that can be cribbed for parts or design. Only problem is that they may not have been too concerned with tire scrubbing, since they tend to be outfitted to trucks that spend most of their lives off the pavement.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I can't wait to get to work on this thing!!!

I thought nothing would top the Lanc-yota... me of little faith!

Jeff you selling Eleanor?

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Congrats on the purchase.  I was watching the price go up, and up, and up, and thought there's no way you would pay that much.  How wrong I was.

Just do one thing, please muffle this beast.  I've seen rotaries at drag races spin to a few zillion rpm and the sounds they make are ear splitting.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I hate a screaming rotary. It needs to be quiet enough to be streetable.

In the interest of full disclosure, I REALLY wanted the Yugo when it popped up on here. Massive cool factor, but logistically it wasn't practical. This car isn't practical or affordable, but the epicness outweighs those things by a mile.

Team Infinniti wrote:
DaveH wrote:

Good luck:

Tuning those carbs
Aligning the car
Bleeding the brakes
Paying for tires
Going around corners

I bet it aint all that bad, the carbs once clean will be fine, the wires look VERY tidy, alignment may have challenges but construction looks fine, cage? easy! the whole frame is sturdy, tie in anywhere, brakes? no problem theres plenty of them, corners? who cares try to pass that thing..lol

The only thing I could not see from the pics was the drive shaft, and yes we are curious how thats going to work

I was just poking fun at all the problems that come along with this thing over and above the normal problems of a Lemons car.  I'm not sure who Speedcop is going to get to put the cage in, but if Rob is doing it, I work as his tube bender/general minion for a lot of his cages, so I'll end up half doing one of those "good luck" items. 

I also have access to CAD software, so if the steering needs to be redesigned, I can run all the numbers and lay everything out.  I have no problem offering free engineering services just to see this thing on the track.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

So I am assuming multiple waivers will be needed for this to compete or will this simple be a pace/judge mobile?  I can see issues with weight, mass produced 4 wheel vehicles...etc.  Personally I don't care (nor does my team) and understand that exceptions will be given to Speedycop before anyone else because of the pure insanity he brings to the table...but just wondering.

Not bad though...not even home yet and starting with at least 400 penalty laps at the first race. lol.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

Dave I was just defending what looked like a decently engineered beast, glad that Speedy has a backup team like he does.
Good luck!

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!