Topic: More Rules Clarifications please!

"All seatbacks must be securely attached to the seat base and braced or otherwise restrained against rearward failure."

If we're using a full race seat, do the large hips support areas that triangulate the back to the seat base cover this rule? We're working in a mid-engined car with little to no rearward movement of the seat possible even if it did fail.

Thanks everyone!

Re: More Rules Clarifications please!

Hey nice name magnum.

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

Damn, Magnum must be a popular theme.

<---Team Magnum PU

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

Yeah we're magnum P.I.G. smile

Anyone have info about the seat brace???

Thanks
Tom

They don't want the seat back flexing under a hit.  If you have a sturdy one piece seat, that is usually acceptable.  If you have a two piece seat where the back has a lot of play in it, don't expect it to pass tech.  At Stafford this year, I fixed about 4 seats that didn't pass tech by welding the reclining mechanism into one solid piece.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

TomSelleck wrote:

"All seatbacks must be securely attached to the seat base and braced or otherwise restrained against rearward failure."

If we're using a full race seat, do the large hips support areas that triangulate the back to the seat base cover this rule? We're working in a mid-engined car with little to no rearward movement of the seat possible even if it did fail.

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, a one-piece race seat that can't tip backward in a crash (stopped by a seat brace, appropriately positioned harness bar, or rear bulkhead), should be good to go assuming it's properly mounted to the floor. The quick-and-dirty test is grabbing the top of the seat and giving it a good shake. It should have minimal play.

We had an FIA seat properly mounted at Stafford but tech still wanted something to prevent the seat from falling back.  The sliders had enough adjustment to reach within 4" of the harness bar which satisfied the 6" maximum.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

Awesome. Thanks everyone!!! It sounds like we'll be fine but I'll bring some extra steel juuust in case. And by that I mean besides the extra steel already being brought smile