Topic: Fuel cell in 1984 bmw 318i or seal rusty tank?

I'm preparing a 1984 bmw 318i for the Lemons south fall race.  I've been having trouble with the fuel tank having rust, old nasty gas residue and other crap in it.  Also the in tank fuel pump is no good.  I'm going to have to acid clean the tank and seal it and find a cheap in tank fuel pump to fix that problem. 

Or I thought of mounting a fuel cell in the trunk of the car.  Would the fuel cell work?  I figure that a good property mounted fuel cell would be better than trying to clean an old rusty gas tank.

Re: Fuel cell in 1984 bmw 318i or seal rusty tank?

Anybody know if this spare tire fuel cell would work?

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/2-Car/3 … -FUEL-CELL

Go with the fuel cell. I tried using the rusty gas tank in the Corvair, but in the end, my team decided for me to invest in a good fuel cell. Just make sure you have it mounted properly, with protection around it.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3287/1481/33215740091_large.jpg

An OE tank or fuel cell both fall under safety.  Replacing the OE tank would be easiest.

Junk yards aren't supposed to sell used tanks here in Texas but you might find an individual parting out a car that would sell you a good tank.  Maybe even with the pump.

Acid washing or pressure washing the tank might get you by as long as it doesn't leak.

Fuel pump ain't safety so I'd start looking on eBay or for a used one.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

thanks for the replys.  I think I'm going to go with the fuel cell so I can use it in another car in the future or sell it.  Plus my wife likes the safety aspect of it.

Aftermarket E30 gas tanks are about $140 here in houston.   I have one on the shelf that was in my car (e30 325 s,ame tank) for about 6 months, we then went to a fuel cell, if you are interested in it shoot me a email. Cheap.....

Apex,

How do you like the cell v the OE tank?  I haven't noticed E30'shaving trouble getting fuel.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z