51 (edited by rocketresto 2009-05-07 11:14 AM)

Re: Lame-o unoriginal car choice penalties?

A lot of people here are under the assumption you can't find anything cool and reliable at the same time.  I strongly disagree.  As owner/mechanic/driver for the 67 Size Matters Fury the only mechanical breakdown we have had to far was an alternator going out.  For those who say big 'Merican cars cannot be competitive look at the Malibu at Altamont.  We have finished 22nd, 12th, 12th and 5th and that is with our drivers unable to stay out of the judges booth (this poster included).  I will say having a big car in the race is a huge disadvantage.  We tend to get hit by other cars just because we are big and they think it won't hurt us (it won't but we still get penalized)  Since we are the biggest car out there the corner workers tend to notice us more than other cars as well.

The Faster Farms Chicken Belvedere was doing great until they flipped it.  Heck, they flipped it and drove it home!  I'd like to see an E30 do that.  The 73 Fury that ran at Altamont last year made it to the end.  Obviously I have a Mopar bias but to say you can't find anything but the same lame cars is just not correct.  To say they cannot be competitive is not correct.  To say they are not reliable is also not correct.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

rocketresto wrote:

The Faster Farms Chicken Belvedere was doing great until they flipped it.  Heck, they flipped it and drove it home!

Not only did the Faster Farms car drive home after the race, one of the team members has been using it as his daily driver ever since.

MurileeMartin wrote:
rocketresto wrote:

The Faster Farms Chicken Belvedere was doing great until they flipped it.  Heck, they flipped it and drove it home!

Not only did the Faster Farms car drive home after the race, one of the team members has been using it as his daily driver ever since.

wow.  But that poor guy hasn't scored with a (non-trailerpark) chick in quite a while then...

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

That said, my personal preference isn't to see a track full of Citroën CXs, Lancia Scorpions, and Citation X-11s (though I'd be overjoyed to see such a sight).

Hmmm.  Well, you'll see the Citation X-11 in Stafford.  What an absolute piece of crap it is, too.  Morons R Us for bringing it to a race...

To get that out of our system later in the year, we'll be bringing a bone stock POS Miata to Nelson Ledges...

A Citation, wow. I always thought the Citation was the spiritual successor to the Corvair. So there will be at least two crappy Chevy's at the Stafford Event.

Your Corvair is in far better shape, LOL

Nice car, BTW.  We considered a Corvair but wondered how tough it would be to get parts and passed...

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Another point to make is that this anti-E30 kick is a more recent trend.
As much as a year ago, the vitriol was focused squarely on Mazdas. Miatas, RX7's, and Protege's were absolutely killing it every single race. People were clamoring for a Mazda penalty.

If those M for Mullet guys hadn't gone and won with a Mustang, my team would probably be way more under the radar going into the next few races. Such is the ebb and flow of Lemons.

The fact is that nobody on my team is good enough with a welder for us to entrust our lives. The deciding factor was the availability of a bolt in roll cage (Thanks Autopower).
Parts availability and model interchangeability (what DIDN'T ford put a 302 into?) was a happy bonus.

Huey Newis and the Lose
Don't Start Believin'

Jer wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:
rocketresto wrote:

wow.  But that poor guy hasn't scored with a (non-trailerpark) chick in quite a while then...

Actually the complete(ish) story is:

-Bought from a junkyard with a salvage title by a guy in El Sobrante
-Sold to some dude in San Leandro
-Red-tagged on the street in San Leandro on a Wednesday
-Rescued by Faster Farms team captain Adrian on the following Sunday
-LeMons-prepped and driven from Alameda to Thunderhill (140 miles)
-Rolled at the Arse-Freeze-Apalooza '08 and driven back to Alameda
-Used as a daily driver
-Shown at the Hillsborough Concours d'Elegance, May '09.

-Official Pace Car, Lemons Reno, May '09
-Will be shown at the Mopar Alley show, June '09

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3569/3505063121_80dfdceb4e.jpg?v=0

Jer wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:
rocketresto wrote:

These guys are my heroes. I wanted to drive the Bee up to Reno, but everyone else in the world convinced me I was an idiot.

I'll make up for it by commuting with it after the race. Maybe take my embarrassed-spouse out for dinner at a valet type establishment etc...

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

These guys are my heroes. I wanted to drive the Bee up to Reno, but everyone else in the world convinced me I was an idiot.

I'll make up for it by commuting with it after the race. Maybe take my embarrassed-spouse out for dinner at a valet type establishment etc...

When we were having difficulties finding a tow vehicle and trailer for Thunderhill, I volunteered to drive the Porcubimmer up there.

The thought of crossing the Grapevine in December in a car with no heat, windows, or any real muffler wasn't particularly attractive.  Or the 9 hours I'd spend in it total.

But, you know, I'd have done it.  Because like all the rest of us, I am completely retarded.

The Homer, by Porcubimmer Motors:  Noch Ein Scheiß-E30

ajslideways wrote:
"Sparky" Pete wrote:

When we were having difficulties finding a tow vehicle and trailer for Thunderhill, I volunteered to drive the Porcubimmer up there.

The thought of crossing the Grapevine in December in a car with no heat, windows, or any real muffler wasn't particularly attractive.  Or the 9 hours I'd spend in it total.

But, you know, I'd have done it.  Because like all the rest of us, I am completely retarded.

"But, you know, I'd have done it.  Because like all the rest of us, I am completely retarded."

Spoken like a true Lemons junky!!!  Aside from the folks that 1 Lemons was enough for them, we're addicted.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Jer wrote:

We considered a Corvair but wondered how tough it would be to get parts and passed...

Corvairs are easy to get parts for, probably easier than even an E30. Clark's Corvair Parts has a 500 page catalog and the Corvair club, CORSA, has active chapters all over the country.

As you can guess I own a Corvair, a 1966 Corsa convertible in far too nice shape for Lemons. I've seen a few $500 ones out there though and it is tempting, it's only the difficulty of finding 3-5 other people out there that can drive a car that oversteers that has kept me from trying.

62 (edited by Ottobon 2009-05-09 05:46 PM)

Pujo! wrote:

it's only the difficulty of finding 3-5 other people out there that can drive a car that oversteers that has kept me from trying.

oversteers a bitch

(Top of the page)

Ottobon wrote:
Pujo! wrote:

it's only the difficulty of finding 3-5 other people out there that can drive a car that oversteers that has kept me from trying.

I haven't had the pleasure yet but these look promising

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog … p;page=165

(Top of the page)

Shhhhhhh, you're giving away our secrets..... geeez. There are more leaks here than in the CIA.

64 (edited by Ottobon 2009-05-09 05:49 PM)

UDMan wrote:

[
Shhhhhhh, you're giving away our secrets..... geeez. There are more leaks here than in the CIA.

what secrets!?!

On a totally unrelated subject, you guys haven't read up on a certain Steve with a thing for doorstops and all those phillips screw driver heads?