Re: Bat-sChIT(ROËN)-Crazy?

How about a cat-litter box ziptied under the engine with a windshield-washer pump pumping the leaked water back into the radiator? Such pumps are easy to find in the junkyard.

Emergency rooms use a similar device to pump leaking blood back into gunshot victims.

52 (edited by typHOON 2010-12-27 09:55 AM)

RV and marine stores sell and stock a wide variety of 12V pumps.  When my Syclone's $300 Bosch intercooler pump went south, I replaced it with an Aereator pump I got at Walmart for under $30, plus a few bucks in miscellaneous plumbing fittings.

http://www.iboats.com/Tsunami-Aerator-P … e+Shopping

It won't be a long-term fix because the cheap pumps aren't designed for high temperatures.  I don't think you would want to do an endurance race with one, but it might get you to the track.

A shower pump would be more durable, but also more expensive.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-p … -pumps.htm

Home depot sells electric bilge pumps, and an inverter.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

if the seal's failed, what about the homemade head gasket trick? piece of sheet copper, trace out the seal on the copper, and just snip/exacto knife yourself a new one? there's always RTV...

the pump itself is still OK, right? it's just the seal?

I have a friend who made a pump to drain a temporary bathtub in the middle of a warehouse floor (no drain plumbing) using a small-block Chevy water pump rigged up to an electric motor. He cut a piece of sheet metal to block off the face that bolts to the engine (using the factory gasket), then rigged up in/out hoses. The whole thing was built on a scrap of plywood and moved water like you wouldn't believe. A small-block Chrysler pump should work, too.

So, if Spank can get to a rudimentary-tool-equipped garage, he can rig up a powerful 12V motor with a pulley and belt, get a $39.95 rebuilt SBC pump/gasket, attach the whole mess to a piece of plywood, and go. What could possibly go wrong?

Or he could just pull over every 15 minutes and dump a jug of water in the radiator.

It is actually the internal seal on the shaft that is bad. They have a carbon ceramic surface and a flexible spring seal that hold pressure so making one out of something is pretty hard and the pump has to be pressed apart to do it.

Perhaps a 20-gallon tank in the trunk with a small pump and 15' of 1/4" hose running to the radiator. As long as he can replace the water that leaks out, he's OK... until the bearing on the Citroën pump burns out.

58 (edited by Serj 2010-12-27 10:14 AM)

Judge Phil wrote:

I have a friend who made a pump to drain a temporary bathtub in the middle of a warehouse floor (no drain plumbing) using a small-block Chevy water pump rigged up to an electric motor. He cut a piece of sheet metal to block off the face that bolts to the engine (using the factory gasket), then rigged up in/out hoses. The whole thing was built on a scrap of plywood and moved water like you wouldn't believe. A small-block Chrysler pump should work, too.

So, if Spank can get to a rudimentary-tool-equipped garage, he can rig up a powerful 12V motor with a pulley and belt, get a $39.95 rebuilt SBC pump/gasket, attach the whole mess to a piece of plywood, and go. What could possibly go wrong?

use judge phil's idea except just tack-weld a cheap 12v cordless drill to the pump shaft, run leads from the contacts on the drill to the battery. what could possibly go wrong?

I wonder if it's a common size shaft?

The seal sounds exactly like a swimming pool pump seal.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Looks like he may have got his hands on a RV pump that can handle hot water so he may be set

I just started calling El Paso junkyards and it's clear that others have been calling them as well. Last guy was wondering why everyone wants Citroën parts all of a sudden.

So once he gets an electric pump, will he just block off the overflow holes on the Citroen pump and remove the belt? Or does he have to get a block-off plate made to replace the pump?

Just remove the belts and wrap some rubber around the holes on the pump and clamp it down should work for the rest of the trip or until he can get the pump fixed or replaced in Florida.

There's a harbor frieght in El Paso - They have a "12v Marine pump" with a METAL case. I tried fwd'ing message to him but I'm a slow texter...

Alternate at HF is a "clear-water" pump powered by a gas engine for $169 - it uses 1" npt, which is about the diameter of his radiator hoses inside-to-pipe-outside.

Just chatted w/him - he's at Home depot - looking like a "utility pump" and some fittings - as a back-up for the next ??? miles until the oem pump gives up the ghost for sure.

Judge Phil wrote:

So once he gets an electric pump, will he just block off the overflow holes on the Citroen pump and remove the belt? Or does he have to get a block-off plate made to replace the pump?

Citroen is wise -the pump is stand-alone from the block...

67 (edited by TexanIdiot25 2010-12-27 11:36 AM)

French Revolution (512-750-5122) in Austin TX, can't get a hold of. Left a message.

edit: My all knowing old junk yard man knows no one here in Houston either.

Advanced Auto has a part # for it

Gardner-Westcott WATER PUMP
Part No. 56468-H
Part No. 56467-H
Part No. 10-56467-H
Part No. 10-56468-H

I think I'm going to have to send spank my 'certified masochist' award from doing autobahn & gingerman back to back. This is waaaay more painful it seems.

69 (edited by Dave 2010-12-27 12:01 PM)

Pendejo wrote:

Just remove the belts and wrap some rubber around the holes on the pump and clamp it down should work for the rest of the trip or until he can get the pump fixed or replaced in Florida.

Just mix up some JB Weld for them holes. No, seriously I use the stuff all the time. (Drills right out)

It Ain't My Fault

70 (edited by pennintj 2010-12-27 12:46 PM)

Scud.Ig wrote:

The latest Prius has an electric water pump, no?

There's an auxilliary Bosch 12v water pump for various German cars floating around. A quick search shows mk3 VW with Vr6 but i think the one i had came from an old Porsche or BMW.

The right junkyard should have a couple.

This one:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem … 0540297358

-tom

-=HFC Tom

Any updates on spank's pump saga? I'd call but I figure it'd be REALLY annoying to have a dozen guys calling him while underneath the car

2001-09 Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen with rear heat & A/C have a 12v aux coolant pump mounted on the frame near the right front upper control arm.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

He was @ Harbor Fright about 12:30 pst

Spank wrote:

Still in el paso hoping to be underway shortly. got backup electric pump from harbor freight, fittings from Home Depot,52oz of coffee from Starbucks, rad sealant, jugs of water, Doritos, bananas. Just need a sandwich, a Coke and gas and I'm off hoping to make Houston b4 needing sleep. anyone in houston have a water pump for a Citroen iD 2 pulley no ac version?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

I've left a message with the bestest Citroen guru I know of in Houston but no word on a pump yet.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.