Topic: Safety Gear Customization

I just got my second hand Lemons Pyrotect kit from Ceemonk (A++++!!  Would buy again!!) and I don't want to look like a carbon copy of this guy:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-14891464457018_2064_1521112

I figured I'd either sew some vintage automotive patches to the suit, or just stick a bunch of Jonas Brothers vending machine stickers to the helmet.  Nothing crazy, and I won't cover any of the certification areas, but I'd like to to know in advance if even that's okay.

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Re: Safety Gear Customization

Yes, patches are fine, if that's your thing. Sew only to the top layer of the fabric. Don't sew through the quilting or  you may compromise the fire rating.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

We used iron-ons like vintage STP and MG patches, including a Lucas patch on my ass. They were fine with it.

Now if you tend to go overboard and end up looking like a Clamper, you might want to rethink the patch thing...

http://goldrushcam.com/images/2007/LG/clampers/clampers14gr.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

EvergreenDan wrote:

Yes, patches are fine, if that's your thing. Sew only to the top layer of the fabric. Don't sew through the quilting or  you may compromise the fire rating.

Just make sure to not use nomex thread and use regular cotton instead. Nomex won't burn which is good but as it's doubtful that your patches will be fireproof so all that will do is ensure that your flaming patch won't fall off. Better to use cotton thread so it will burn through quickly and fall off.

Solracer wrote:
EvergreenDan wrote:

Just make sure to not use nomex thread and use regular cotton instead. Nomex won't burn which is good but as it's doubtful that your patches will be fireproof so all that will do is ensure that your flaming patch won't fall off. Better to use cotton thread so it will burn through quickly and fall off.

As messed up as that is, the thought of flaming patches is quite hilarious!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners