Topic: Who takes a parts car to the race?

Just wondering how many teams take a 2nd car for parts. I can buy a parts car cheap and it may be less hassle than taking a bunch of parts individually.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Re: Who takes a parts car to the race?

Last year we took an engine, and this year we'll be taking a substantial subset of a parts car to the race (suspension and engine parts), though not the parts car itself.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

We took a spare E30 to the last 2 races and we actually ended up pulling the condenser and ECU out of it for day 2.

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

4 (edited by RobL 2009-07-30 08:41 AM)

Earlier this year at CMP, I brought a parts car.  At Nelson Ledges, we are bringing a full licensed, inspected, and daily driven car for parts.

At Stafford, we brought a completely spare Lemons car...

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

We are considering a second daily driven car for parts for next event... Problem is finding another 2 Door 93 VW Fox that runs...

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

rnr wrote:

We took a spare E30 to the last 2 races and we actually ended up pulling the condenser and ECU out of it for day 2.

My problem is that I don't have any room to store spare parts, so I have made a deal with a local BMW shop to "borrow" a bunch of parts from them for the duration of the race and return what we don't need, but of course we can only take so much.

Having said that, if other teams like yours are taking a whole car, it looks like it may not be hard to find parts if we need them (which reminds me, Team Red Bear owes me a strut!).

I used to section a parts car with a Sawzall right on the trailer...bring front subframe with powertrain, and a rear axle assembly. the structure in between just takes up space...you don't have to be neat...leaves room for an engine hoist

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

LTDScott wrote:
rnr wrote:

My problem is that I don't have any room to store spare parts, so I have made a deal with a local BMW shop to "borrow" a bunch of parts from them for the duration of the race and return what we don't need, but of course we can only take so much.

Having said that, if other teams like yours are taking a whole car, it looks like it may not be hard to find parts if we need them (which reminds me, Team Red Bear owes me a strut!).

We got a strut from *someone* in Reno, remember?  Did we loan out more than one?

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

We are going to buy a second MR2 chassis and transmission for the low, low price of "get this thing off my driveway by next week and its yours."  We'll either roll that onto the trailer or just take the 4 corners, transmission, radiator, and steering in boxes.  Don't have a spare engine tho. 

I hear there will be lots of MR2s at Nelson Ledges.  We will be happy to jump into that Lemons Parts Pool Lovefest.

Rob Stercraw wrote:
LTDScott wrote:
rnr wrote:

We got a strut from *someone* in Reno, remember?  Did we loan out more than one?

Did you actually pick it up from them? It was the B-team that had the strut but I didn't think we actually got it.

I'm considering picking up a parts car chassis, debating whether it will pay for itself or not...

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Cough-- *Ahem...

http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/20 … t_Saab.jpg

We pull a full parts car with us to ever race.  MR2 doesnt help you though Scott smile

We race a freakin' parts car!

The more races we do, the more spare parts we start to realize need or other teams with similar cars.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

LTDScott wrote:
rnr wrote:

Thats why you do an entire parts car ;-) Our team mate used to park the car on the street outside his house and the only times it runs is when we take it to the races. Luckily all the bits we've taken out so far have been pretty easy to stick back on for the drive back - I'm dreading the day when we have to pull something significant like the rear end.

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

Yeah, these guys totally gutted their daily-driver Saabs as parts cars for the race car.

17 (edited by LTDScott 2009-07-31 06:59 AM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

Yeah, these guys totally gutted their daily-driver Saabs as parts cars for the race car.

I was on that team when that happened (see my name on the #3 car behind it), so I'm well aware. Having said that, I'm not that hardcore!

we take a parts car, doggie style...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/torgysbuick/P1100330.jpg

RobL wrote:

Earlier this year at CMP, I brought a parts car.  At Nelson Ledges, we are bringing a full licensed, inspected, and daily driven car for parts.

Just remember if it's driven to the track you will probably want to drive it home.
You can get pretty crazy when your racing and not think about how to get the daily drive home with no engine or trans. Just a thought.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Unless you do the insane thing like Free Range always does. "See Pic Above"

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

If there's a Lemons event at stafford next year, and if I recover from being unemployed, I already have a second car planned for the event. Yes, it will be another pre 65 Corvair.

So you will have two rolling chicanes....

We are actually thinking about bringing a spare Colt/Fiat/Mitsubishi with us to CMP for the fall race.  Hopefully with the replacement parts it will allow us to run more than 140 laps.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

UDMan wrote:

If there's a Lemons event at stafford next year, and if I recover from being unemployed, I already have a second car planned for the event. Yes, it will be another pre 65 Corvair.

So you will have two rolling chicanes....

Good.  The Craptation still hangs in the balance,  We might breath new life into it and challenge you again!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

cpmskinny wrote:

We are actually thinking about bringing a spare Colt/Fiat/Mitsubishi with us to CMP for the fall race.  Hopefully with the replacement parts it will allow us to run more than 140 laps.

And if we don't need any spare parts off of her, I might just make her my daily driver!  Of course, a second race car might be kinda cool too......

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

25 (edited by cpmskinny 2009-08-03 12:20 PM)

What the F ever Jason Statham.

You would, wouldn't you?

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC