Re: OK - Tire questions..

RobL wrote:

Yeah, I don't know what the curbing situation is in Nelson ledges, but at Heartland Park if you get a wheel over the curbing on the inside it's as good as cut.  It ends your sprint race right there.

The videos seem to indicate a near total lack of curbing at Nelson. Many of them often indicate that if you get two off, you'll very soon find yourself four-off.

Maybe we should all be installing mudders on our rides...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Curbs are not an issue at Nelsons. What will eat tires is the perponderence of right hand turns.  Plan on eating left front tires. Also, if you run too much negative camber you can burn up the inside of your right front tire.  If your doing a proper race alignment you normally run extra camber on the left and less so on the right.  Zero toe or very slight toe in is good for the front.  Nelson's is a 'momentum' track more than a 'point and squirt' track. 

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

To the guys running the full size van ..... holy s _ _ T!!.  Are you really bringing a full size van????

I once drove the Ledges in a van during a drivers school 'orientation ride'.  I was going 6/10ths max and scared the crap out of myself.  You guys are in for a VERY long 24 hours.  I will be amazed if you manage to keep upright the entire time.

Please make a PROMISE to keep that big rig on the OUTSIDE line all the way around the track.  I can't ever imagine what would happen if you got inside of a car and then started to wallow for the bushes. You'd bounce us like a cue ball out into the swamp. 

Believe me. I'll be giving you guys plenty of extra room.

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

29 (edited by King Arthur 2009-07-29 04:57 AM)

Spud,
  Don't worry, we're here for fun and the spectacle of things. AND we're racing what began as a full size van, it has been dropped 7.5 inches, has a wider stance than a hummer.Now it handles like my pick up. We are just looking to finish. Here is where you might worry, I can't take my ADD medicine that day cause it makes me sleepy.
Dave

King Arthur wrote:

We are just looking to finish. Here is where you might worry, I can't take my ADD medicine that day cause it makes me sleepy.

I'm going to attach something shiny to the back of our car....

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

King Arthur wrote:

we're racing what began as a full size van, it has been dropped 7.5 inches, has a wider stance than a hummer.

So it's going to be a really wideand boxy and slow rolling chicane? Yay!

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

32 (edited by King Arthur 2009-07-29 06:30 AM)

wide, yes. boxy, kinda in a former life. slow, nope!!!! Well maybe kinda.......

.....but 2 out of 3 ain't so bad n'at

RobL wrote:
King Arthur wrote:

We are just looking to finish. Here is where you might worry, I can't take my ADD medicine that day cause it makes me sleepy.

I'm going to attach something shiny to the back of our car....

the shinier the better!!! it's just dave you need worry about. now if it was a target, you might have to worry. we have anger management issues too.

Haha, just make the van as wide as the track surface and you will be okay.. hahah

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

yeah! yeah!!! as long as we get out first, don't run out of gas, don't have to pee, we'd have a shot at winning too!!! that's a sweet idea!!! we could put a ramp on the back and you could launch over it???

36 (edited by MagnumPI 2009-07-29 09:21 AM)

Hah, now thats an idea hahaha, Cant wait to see the van! smile

This is a great idea...throw in a jack, tools and tires and you can take your pits with you

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Full size van?   Did you see the first several Altamont events with the FULL SIZE HEARSE?  I think they must have gotten a weight wavier, it didn't corner too badly, and it wasn't the slowest thing out there either...

saabsgonewild wrote:

Full size van?   Did you see the first several Altamont events with the FULL SIZE HEARSE?  I think they must have gotten a weight wavier, it didn't corner too badly, and it wasn't the slowest thing out there either...

It acted as a moving understeer net as well.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

jimeditorial wrote:

This is a great idea...throw in a jack, tools and tires and you can take your pits with you

Well if he gets a flat - he could just pull off somewhere safe and perform a tire change.  I think thats awesome..  I think they should take a spare tire and mount it on the back of the cage like on the Baja trucks hahahah

MagnumPI wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

Well if he gets a flat - he could just pull off somewhere safe and perform a tire change.  I think thats awesome..  I think they should take a spare tire and mount it on the back of the cage like on the Baja trucks hahahah

we'll consider that for sure, however it may restrict our egress in case of killer rabbit trying to fornicate with other objects.

We've run I forget now, at least 3 times, bringing two cars (both Toyota's) and they had no trouble running a whole event (and more) on one set of tires. Our FX was initially set up kinda bad, so chewed some, but when lowered and aligned properly it stopped eating the tires. Even then one set on and a spare should be enough for the light cars.... My Lexus LS400 on the other hand... not sure how that's gonna go.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

A van eh?  It will be either...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfa3NPZsUgU

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH59U0Srf-U

Our Team ran the azenis Rt615's in Octobers yeehaw texas. These tires proved well on the first day but on the second day they started to get greasy and by the end of Sunday, they had no where the grip compared to the first day.... the tires did get some flat spots due to panic stops but other than that they held up decent....

In Feb gator o rama race we used Hankook rs2's and these tires IMO did a better job. i will admit though that due to mechanical issues the car wasn't as quick and probably was easier on the tires...

I think y team is thinking of just re using the old tires we have to save some pennies since times are tough....... but if we do opt for more tires, then the Rs2's will be in our book...

if i had a heavy car (van for instance) i would probably opt for a higher treadwear tire, since softer tires WILL wearout faster... its something to think about for sure.