Topic: cage - saw this firm selling them

These were recommended by a friend, any thoughts.  My only concern is that the front bars don't but into the main hoop, but tie in and sun beside it.  will that pas tech?  It seems to be ok in other race series.

http://www.cscracing.com/ckboth.html

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Re: cage - saw this firm selling them

There are lots of good outlets for cage kits, from $200 and up.  Google "roll cage kits" and 10-15 will pop-up immediately.  However, it's the freight and shipping -- another $150 to $350 -- that ruins whatever price savings you can find.  Most of these cage guys build for NASCAR / ARCA or local dirt track competitors.  For cars like Lemons, look for kits that fit mini-stock or bomber class cars.  Otherwise, you'll find that the main hoop doesn't fit and all the bits are way too long or the bends are too shallow.  Also, watch the tube diameter and wall thickness.  There are a lot of variations to be found among the rules of different orgs.

John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

$438.23 delivered, seems pretty good to me.  They also custom make it to you interior dimensions. 

My main question is how the halo does not butt dirrecty into the main hoop, but ties in to the side of it.

89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

I see what your looking at and I'm not sure that it would pass any sanctioning bodies inspection. I was considering using this company to bend our cage but now that you have pointed that out I don't know if that will work. I suppose my mind saw what it thought should be there.

it seems to be sanction for a lot race series.  Friend runs then a series down here and has no problem wit them.  Thought it best to get Jay and the guys take on it before I bought one.  Here is the same set up from another supplier.

http://www.rollcagecomponents.com/

http://www.rollcagecomponents.com/images/limitedsportsman.jpg

However, Rollcagecomponents.com does build a cage for the Lemons. 
http://www.rollcagecomponents.com/kits7.htm

While there are too many variables when it comes to cage assembly and installation to allow us to pre-approve cages, a lot of these fabricators are quite good. Folks should be aware, however, that we have not officially partnered with any cage manufacturer for "Lemons kits." These guys have probably read our rules and built their cages to spec--assuming they know what they're doing, their stuff works great. We always advise people, however, to make yourself familiar with the cage requirements even if you are going to have someone else build it. In other words, don't automatically assume a Lemons Kit will automatically work for us.

This might sound uncomfortably vague, but the reality is that most of the guys who have cage problems in tech would have been able to see it coming if they were more familiar with the requirements. We've had plenty of rookies figure it out on the first crack simply by doing their homework. (Including my old roommate--and if he can do it, ANYONE can!)

We pass tech with a halo type cage.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Jackasic wrote:

These were recommended by a friend, any thoughts.  My only concern is that the front bars don't but into the main hoop, but tie in and sun beside it.  will that pas tech?  It seems to be ok in other race series.

Bought lots of stuff from CSC over the years...they've done cages for road racing as well as stock cars. Should pass tech in most sanctioning bodies. I've seen their operation and they have the right knowledge and tools...they'll jig build the whole chassis if you have the green.....just remember if you're buying an "econo" kit, you'll really need to chop off the roof and reweld it to make the installation easy

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

The question is not if a halo is okay, it is how the halo is attached. If you look closely at the picture on the csc site the halo does not get welded to the main hoop directly. There is a piece of flatstock welded to the top corner of the main hoop and the halo is welded to that piece of flat stock. Easier to weld but is it the right way to attach one of the primary parts of the cage.

11 (edited by bongle 2009-07-21 05:25 AM)

We got a cage for our Civic Hatch last year from CSC: the hoop fit perfectly, but the a-pillar bars and halo needed adjusting.  If you're getting a cage for a small car, be wary.  Seems like it would have fit perfectly if our car was just a bit bigger, though.

Also, don't forget to specify DOM, because their default steel is ERW.  For us, it cost $330CDN to get a LeMons-legal ERW cage cut, bent and shipped to a business address, which isn't bad.  I don't know how much choosing DOM would drive the price up.

And we ended up just welding the halo directly to the main hoop, rather than use the provided steel.

To conclude: The kit we got was of very high quality, but it didn't quite fit our small car.  We asked about it (since we were newbs at installing) and got the impression that they have a generic "small car" kit, rather than measured to fit in a given car.  Or we're morons.  Both are strong possibilities.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

How did you adjust the A-pillar bars?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

We bought our cage from these guys too ("Jimmy" is the owner/fabricator) and picked it up last weekend.  The cage is car specific using DOM tubing with all members pre-notched including NASCAR-style door bars and foot plates.  We haven't installed the cage yet (next weekend) but we are friends with another team who has bought two cages from them in the past.  They said both fit very well and they were very happy with the workmanship.  The price for ours was about $575 which is very reasonable from what I've seen.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

jimeditorial wrote:

How did you adjust the A-pillar bars?

Had to get new ones cut and bent sad

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Got the Lemons kit on order from Roll Cage Components...supposed to be here next week.
http://www.rollcagecomponents.com/kits7.htm

Wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than buying all the material and tools to bend/notch (already got a welder). And from what I heard, the bending, cutting and notching are the painfully time consuming parts, so this seems like a good middle-ground.

So far, it's gone great. The guy (whose name I forgot) is friendly and helpful.

He's actually running NASCAR-style bars on the door now, which is nice for added peace of mind with all us yahoos on the track.

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

Damn Tim, you're cutting it a bit close!

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

VKZ24 wrote:

We bought our cage from these guys too ("Jimmy" is the owner/fabricator) and picked it up last weekend.  The cage is car specific using DOM tubing with all members pre-notched including NASCAR-style door bars and foot plates.  We haven't installed the cage yet (next weekend) but we are friends with another team who has bought two cages from them in the past.  They said both fit very well and they were very happy with the workmanship.  The price for ours was about $575 which is very reasonable from what I've seen.

We're considering them for our MR2.  Do you mind sharing how your build went and how well the kit fit your vehicle?

Double_Down wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

We're considering them for our MR2.  Do you mind sharing how your build went and how well the kit fit your vehicle?

We are starting the cage installation this weekend.  I'll post back here on how it goes when we are done.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!