Topic: Floorboards Holey, whats a proper lemon fix?

Ok if this were any other Camaro I'd be spending money on floorboards but this is a Lemon racer.  What kind of fix is mandatory for a Lemons car?  Stop sign welded to the bottom?  Surely bondo won't do...or is it a safety issue, that doesn't add to our $500 bottom line?    I know its a bad thing to have holes but this is Michigan and everything here is rotted to death so whats an approvable floorboard hole?

Maybe a giant spreader plate lol

Re: Floorboards Holey, whats a proper lemon fix?

Bud can, doubled up, riveted in place. Forgive me, great ghost of Billy Dee Williams, but it works every time:

http://tarpblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/budcansm.jpg

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I cut the entire floors out of our 240Z they were so rusted.  Than I used flat sheet metal and made my own.  They took 1/3-1/2 the sheet so technically they cost about $15. 

No one said anything and I think they would be a safety item.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

harddriveracing.com wrote:

Stop sign welded to the bottom?

You know that stop signs are Aluminum, right?

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

we patched the holes in our Fox with 2 Fanta cans and a Diet Coke can.  It works!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

plywood?  or if you're feeling fancy you could rustle up some nice wood floors...maybe throw an small area rug on the passenger side.  some stained 1x3 pine would be sweet.  wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

plywood?  or if you're feeling fancy you could rustle up some nice wood floors...maybe throw an small area rug on the passenger side.  some stained 1x3 pine would be sweet.  wink

You're coming over on Sunday, right?  This will be your job.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Some rusty extruded metal always works! Then you get to see stuff go under the car like in the glass bottom tourist boats at Catalina Island.

Pen

RobL wrote:

You're coming over on Sunday, right?  This will be your job.

LOLZ.  yeah, i'll be there.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

we're using remnants of a used 55 gallon juice drum.

mmmmmmm citrusy.

Rudy - rudedog - Team Fall Guy Stuntman Association

11 (edited by Stan in Bham 2020-07-13 08:40 PM)

Deleted post.    Not sure how my "theme" post landed here.

We just overlaid the questionable areas of our floorboards with 14ga sheet steel (its what we had around) and perimeter welded them in place.  Given that the patches were in the drivers foot well, we smoothed everything out so we didn't have anyone hanging their feet up when driving.  Adding heavier material also made us feel a little better after seeing what happened to the foot well of the Camaro that crashed in MN a few years back.  We know we stand little chance of winning so extra weight was not a concern over safety.

Old license plates.  Rivet gun.

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

harddriveracing.com wrote:

Ok if this were any other Camaro I'd be spending money on floorboards but this is a Lemon racer.  What kind of fix is mandatory for a Lemons car?  Stop sign welded to the bottom?  Surely bondo won't do...or is it a safety issue, that doesn't add to our $500 bottom line?    I know its a bad thing to have holes but this is Michigan and everything here is rotted to death so whats an approvable floorboard hole?

Maybe a giant spreader plate lol

fixing rusty floors isn't going to go against your $ total. What year Camaro? We run an 88 Firebird... anyway i would not rivet the floor in. It  is part of the frame. Welds won't flex in the turns and will be safer if you wreck. I'd use any metal the same thickness as the floor. Of course you can  buy the pan for $105 on ebay.  That will save you time and aggravation.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"