Topic: Next stop, penalty box!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/08/ConeCollectingIntegra-800px.jpg

The Lemons Supreme Court became quite familiar with the #555 Integra over the weekend. To their credit (and in stark contrast to so many other racers), they never whined at us- not even when we dumped Clamato Bud Light in their car.

Re: Next stop, penalty box!

That is an awesome shot...

Uberbird!

Correction -- they whined-a-plenty.

But, our constant hammering on their fragile little wannabe racecar driver egos eventually paid off and they began to resemble whipped dogs. Which we like.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

4 (edited by DWS_Andy 2009-08-17 12:41 PM)

Awesome picture! That was our driver Bob (correction - it was not Gabe) - he managed to collect a few black flags all by himself, and I have an in-car video of our other driver earning us that gangsters funeral (I'll post that up soon). We'll do a better job of staying out of the penalty box next time! This was our first Lemons and the whole weekend was awesome and extremely well run!

Judge Jonny wrote:

But, our constant hammering on their fragile little wannabe racecar driver egos eventually paid off and they began to resemble whipped dogs. Which we like.

It wasn't so much whining as just confusion, as in "why are you doing these terrible, incomprehensible things to us?"

They came by after the race to ask about what sort of car they should run next time, having (correctly) determined that Integras are on the boring side. I suggested the Lancia Scorpion.

6 (edited by FatBraff 2009-08-17 09:52 AM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

They came by after the race to ask about what sort of car they should run next time, having (correctly) determined that Integras are on the boring side. I suggested the Lancia Scorpion.

They are not boring when they are on their roof...

Uberbird!

MurileeMartin wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

It wasn't so much whining as just confusion, as in "why are you doing these terrible, incomprehensible things to us?"

I got the distinct impression from them that they felt their seven Ivy League-ish engineering degrees made them feel more they're more clever than we are. Meaning that they were asking you that question only to pull a fast one -- wrongly assuming that we'd black-flag a Lancia less than a fully out of control Integra.

If you can't control an Integra, switching to another car will not cut down on your black flaggage.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

MurileeMartin wrote:

I suggested the Lancia Scorpion.

Been there, done that.  wink  Great car - but boy is that a long-row-to-hoe.  Lots in common with the Fiat, but juuuuuust enough different to make sourcing parts difficult.  Can be done, if you're clever tho.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

Judge Jonny wrote:

I got the distinct impression from them that they felt their seven Ivy League-ish engineering degrees made them feel more they're more clever than we are. Meaning that they were asking you that question only to pull a fast one -- wrongly assuming that we'd black-flag a Lancia less than a fully out of control Integra.

If you can't control an Integra, switching to another car will not cut down on your black flaggage.

Given that they were hella slow in an Acura Integra- which is one of the quickest cars $500 (or, in this case, "$500") can buy- it would make more sense for them to go all-out for the IOE rather than the overall win.

That reminds me... we didn't use all of our "Get out of jail free" cards from the scavenger hunt. Jay told us that we can't use them for another race, but told another team that they could. I need to get some clarification.

We only used one, and that was when another car hit us (yes, really). But we just took our lumps, swapped drivers, and were back out on the course.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:

That reminds me... we didn't use all of our "Get out of jail free" cards from the scavenger hunt. Jay told us that we can't use them for another race, but told another team that they could. I need to get some clarification.

laminate them to the car.

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

Awesome shot!

Hold on to your "get out of jail free" cards.  Like so much else, it is at the judges' discretion to honor them next race.  You should bring it up at BS Inspection at THill.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

I was the guy on the radio who had to relay black flags between the corner workers and the penalty box.  Those of us up in the control tower became quite familiar with the #555 Integra as well.
"Control, this is turn 5.  Car 555, 4 wheels off track."
"Control, this is turn 12.  Car 555, spin and continue."
"Control, this is turn 16.  Car 555, passing under yellow."

I'm pleased to hear that they didn't whine, even when they got Clamato Bud Light (eew) in their car.  I look forward to seeing them at Thunderhill-- with any luck, I won't have to hear their number called so often!

Oh, and a Lancia Scorpion is a cool idea.  Not "Humber Super Snipe" cool, but still pretty damn cool.

Judge Jonny wrote:

I like this guy... +1 for Jonny

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

MurileeMartin wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Careful what you ask for....if they're really Ivy-League they might show up with a Delta Integrale.....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

Careful what you ask for....if they're really Ivy-League they might show up with a Delta Integrale.....

Funny you say that - my brother used to have the Delta HF Turbo with martini stripes. Nice little car, but probably a bean can somewhere now after it met its maker...

I used to have a 70s Lancia Beta Coupe... that would be a CHALLENGING car to get to survive Lemons... that car was so bad.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice