Topic: Budget lap timers or data loggers?

Amigos,

Currently on our dashboard we have a small ceramic chihuahua and a compass.  We would like to add an additional distraction: Lap timer / data logger.  On the cheap.  And by cheap I mean less than the cost of our car.

Here are my questions:
1. What are you using?
2. What did it cost?
3. Easy to set up?
4. How do these things work? (i.e. how do these magical devices "know" when a "lap" is "done?")

The AiM Mychron Light seems like it might do the trick.  I've seen it for sale for $215.
http://www.aimsports.com/store/product_ … ucts_id=28

Thanks!
Greg

Greg
Quattro Libre '84 Audi (Lemons South '08)
The Slammer '87 Milano (Lemons South '09)
The Slammer '87 Milano (Southern Discomfort '10)

Re: Budget lap timers or data loggers?

If you have a GPS enabled phone (iPhone, Palm, Blackberry etc).. they make some really nice apps for them.

Try this:

http://gps-laptimer.de/

3 (edited by professional.dreamer 2009-05-10 03:27 PM)

Forget the lap timer.  Every lap will incur various impediments that will cause every lap to be so different that it really won't matter.  Consider:

a) plastic Jesus
b) digital clock so your drivers will know when their stint/session is over
c) pine-sol hanging air freshener (to take away the urine smell if your drivers forget when their stint/session is over)

John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

Ignore John.. based on his Resume, I bet he is burnt out on technology smile

Matt -- It's the Castrol R fumes.  Wow!  What a high...

haha - I'm one of those "20 somethings" addicted to any technology.  I look forward to screwing with the data-log software and staring at the pretty pictures in the pits.  That being said, I'm SURE it wont help me be any faster on the track... but it's really cool!

Seat time, Seat time, Seat time

put your garmin nuvi in the car and it will keep track of your fastest speed, you can reset it for Sunday if you make it that far...  oh like we always do....  lol...

Why buy when you can build your own: http://www.ianwood.com/news/story.asp?sid=36

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

professional.dreamer wrote:

Forget the lap timer.  Every lap will incur various impediments that will cause every lap to be so different that it really won't matter.

You raise a good point.  However one purpose of the lap timer is for team management.  You see, this will enable us to identify the weakest link so that we can help him reach is full potential.  Through ridicule.

Greg

Libre Driver wrote:
professional.dreamer wrote:

Forget the lap timer.  Every lap will incur various impediments that will cause every lap to be so different that it really won't matter.

You raise a good point.  However one purpose of the lap timer is for team management.  You see, this will enable us to identify the weakest link so that we can help him reach is full potential.  Through ridicule.

Weakest link?  So... what happens if your "best" driver gets stuck behind some lame driver (like me) one lap?  Then, the next lap, he gets stuck behind some other lame driver (like me)?  Does this make your "best" driver the weakest link?With 100+ cars on the track, no one will ever get a perfectly clear lap.  Ain't gonna happen.  No way.  Impossible.  If they're lucky, they may get a clear couple of corners or a combination with a straightaway.  But a full lap?  I'll bet a bowl of chili on it.  And, if the planets align and somehow, somebody does look like they're having a great lap, I'll make sure to take an early apex at T5 and slow them down all the way to T11.

Personally, as a driver, once I'm in the car, I could care a rat's ass about my lap times.  Consistency, timing and strategy are what I'm focusing on.  I can feel when I'm consistent in my laps times by the cadence of the track and my own comfort level.  I'm also studying the other cars and drivers, trying to match and memorize cars and helmet colors or identify other small idiosyncrasies that tell me I can trust certain drivers or warn me to stay clear of others.  A lap timer would be a HUGE distraction to me.

The best you can look and hope for is consistency, especially in endurance races.  A driver that -- lap after lap after lap -- maintains the same lap times (+/- 1 or 2 seconds) over a 1 or 2 hour stint will be your BEST driver, regardless of how fast or slow he/she is. 

Well, okay -- there is a limit as to how slow someone can go, but if they're an impediment to others, they'll probably be Black Flagged and removed from the track pretty quickly (or punted off).  What I'm talking about is driving at a solid, consistent 80%-85% throughout their stint/session.

This person will be pacing themselves and pacing the traffic, as well as maintaining the car.  That kind of consistency also says that he/she is driving the same line, lap after lap after lap, which means that this person is being consistent with and to the other drivers... everyone will know what to expect from that driver going into or coming out of any corner. 

In an endurance race, you couldn't ask for a better driver.

Professionaldotdriver: too... many... words. Too serious.

FreeRange: Bingo!  That's what we're going to do!  Thanks for the tip.

Greg