Topic: The electrical gremlins are at it again

So we have 11 days to diagnose and fix an electrical issue with our car. The motor does not turn over any longer and we can't figure out why. All the usual culprits have been checked: battery, battery cables, and the positive (+) terminal on the solenoid are all good.

Suggestions on where we should look next? Could the wire from the ignition switch be grounding out?

Stuntman Mike
I Wanna Roc

Re: The electrical gremlins are at it again

Chevy starter solenoids often go bad. That'd be my #1 suspect. The good news: rebuilt solenoids are seriously cheap.

Is the starter and solenoid getting power?

Do you know who to by-pass/hot wire the starter?

Have you tested the starter?

Do you have a manual or auto?  Are the neutral and or clutch switches working right?  They are starter interrupts you know.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Bypass the ignition system and short the solenoid post (where the ignition wire is) to the big post with all the wires on it.

Quick google search landed me to this troubleshooting procedure.  Looks pretty solid.

http://www.type2.com/bartnik/starter.htm

I'd bet a lot of money that it's a starter issue.

5 (edited by mjfassio 2009-05-10 10:57 AM)

Troy wrote:

Is the starter and solenoid getting power?
Do you know who to by-pass/hot wire the starter?

Have you tested the starter?

Do you have a manual or auto?  Are the neutral and or clutch switches working right?  They are starter interrupts you know.

Troy,

The starter solenoid is getting power (hot), the multimeter and probe both confirmed it.

It is a manual transmission and the clutch start switch was bypassed by the previous owner. The connection looks good on the starter enable relay.

I haven't pulled the starter to test it yet.

Thanks for the ideas everyone, keep 'em coming!

Stuntman Mike
I Wanna Roc

FreeRange wrote:

Bypass the ignition system and short the solenoid post (where the ignition wire is) to the big post with all the wires on it.

Quick google search landed me to this troubleshooting procedure.  Looks pretty solid.

http://www.type2.com/bartnik/starter.htm

I'd bet a lot of money that it's a starter issue.

Matt,

The link you provided is no longer working, but thanks.

I did short the solenoid from the positive terminal to the solenoid and I hear the starter spinning but the drive pinion doesn't engage the flywheel.

Stuntman Mike
I Wanna Roc

Wierd, still works for me /shrug

Sounds like your starter gear is ether stripped, or its not actually "engaging".  Either that, or your flywheel has SERIOUS issues smile

New starter imo

FreeRange wrote:

Sounds like your starter gear is ether stripped, or its not actually "engaging".  Either that, or your flywheel has SERIOUS issues smile

Yep, it's possible that the lever that goes from solenoid to starter motor is garbooned, or that the starter gear itself is garbooned... or, as FreeRange so ominously suggests, your flywheel has a case of Meth Mouth.

All will likely become clear once you remove the starter and take a close look and/or bench-test it. Rebuilt small-block starters and solenoids are ridiculously cheap (USA! USA! USA!).

for once, I agree with my team mate.  Your starter soleniod is toast.  Happens a lot.  New rebuilt starter should run you $50 or less.  You can also score high-torque starters from about $120, which will be helpfull when your bearings start to get 'tight'.

As for the key not doing anything...what car?  The easiest solution is to run the 12ga wire from the starter solenoid to a momentary switch on your dash, so you know all the safeties are bypasssed.  If you car will push-start, then the ignition side of the electrical still works and all you have to do is get that starter spinning a-la the momentary switch.  If you can't push start it I'd look to the ignition cylinder.

definitely get that sorted out. You wouldn't want to be those guys push starting their race car all weekend

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/315 … be.jpg?v=0

oh shit wait that's us.

Huey Newis and the Lose
Don't Start Believin'

It has been FIXED! Now all we have to do is find someone to tow us to Fernley....

8 time Lemons loser!
Go team Faster Farms! [ http://fasterfarms.blogspot.com ]