1 (edited by LTDScott 2009-08-18 06:54 AM)

Topic: Apparently our car blends into the background a little too well

...because this dingleberry managed to not see a giant porcupine in stop and go traffic and smacked right into the back of our car on the way to Buttonwillow. His Jeep climbed up on the trailer and lifted our car up in the air. When I pulled to the side of the freeway, his Jeep's front tires were still on the trailer and I was pulling him.

No damage to trailer (thank god, it's not mine, and this happened literally 5 miles after I blew a tire on the trailer too), but the BMW took a good smack which bowed in the driver's side quarter panel and smashed the spare tire well underneath. The car got smacked in that same corner during the race too, so it's not looking so hot right now.

http://www.ltdlx.org/albums/buttonwillow09/IMG_2098_Large.sized.jpg
http://www.ltdlx.org/albums/buttonwillow09/IMG_2100_Large.sized.jpg
http://www.ltdlx.org/albums/buttonwillow09/IMG_2101_Large.sized.jpg
http://www.ltdlx.org/albums/buttonwillow09/IMG_2102_Large.sized.jpg
http://www.ltdlx.org/albums/buttonwillow09/IMG_2105_Large.sized.jpg

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Re: Apparently our car blends into the background a little too well

that sucks.  what an idiot.

"don't tase me, bro."

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

If I remember  correctly, one of the hood latches of the Jeep was found inside the car...  LOL

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

Then again, he was probably concentrating so hard to figure out WTF he was following that he didn't notice it quickly getting closer to him.  big_smile

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

5 (edited by Rob Stercraw 2009-08-18 07:52 AM)

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Then again, he was probably concentrating so hard to figure out WTF he was following that he didn't notice it quickly getting closer to him.  big_smile

Haha, yeah -I heard some kid ask their dad about the "lion fish car" - I never thought of that but yeah, I guess it kind of does look like one.

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

6 (edited by cpmskinny 2009-08-18 08:59 AM)

I wish I had a dollar for everry time I have seen that happen. 

I would be 1 buck richer.

That sucks man

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

I can't imagine the penalty that Murilee and Jonny would devise for that guy. Jzheesh.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Let us know what you get from the insurance company. Maybe you'll get enough to cover your Tecate budget for the rest of the car's racing career!

Mulry wrote:

I can't imagine the penalty that Murilee and Jonny would devise for that guy. Jzheesh.

Tomorrow morning as I'm battling Jersey commuters, I'll daydream of a better world where the boys dole out Lemons justice to idiots on public roads.

With any luck, I won't rear end 12,000lbs of garishly decorated race car, trailer, and tow vehicle as my mind wanders.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

MurileeMartin wrote:

Let us know what you get from the insurance company. Maybe you'll get enough to cover your Tecate budget for the rest of the car's racing career!

All weekend long I thought I had lost the paper where I wrote down all of the info from the other driver. I needed that info to at minimum report the accident to the DMV. But my girlfriend found it, so I'll call up the insurance co today.

Yes, our race car is still licensed and insured!

holy man! good thing he did not knock off any of those hard as rock spikes!

did you guys get the chp to show? if so, what did they think of the porcubimmer?

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

i think you shuld get to add the ins money to your budget.  after all, even though it's not exactly like recouping money by selling parts, it's close.

12+-time loser

No, CHP didn't show, and I'm glad they didn't because my friend didn't leave any insurance info in the truck. If I had to present proof of insurance, I'd be SOL.

I called my insurance co regarding the accident, and they say if I don't want to claim any damage, I just need to report it to the DMV. But if I do want to make a claim, I'd have to inform the insurance co of

1. The owner of the truck
2. The owner of the trailer
3. The owner of the car

Despite the hilarity factor, I don't think it's worth the pain in the ass.

As we always say on the drive home: "Lemons not over."

That kid deserves a darwin award... in the form of a sledge to the skull.

This is why I hate average drivers... the average standard is way below what it should be.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:

This is why I hate average drivers... the average standard is way below what it should be.

All this coming from a guy who earned a Seasoned Lemons status in about a week.

Where did you find such a long list of sponsors?  I need some sponsors damn it!!!

If you think average driver's suck on the freeway, wait till you see average drivers or worse... racing in Lemons!

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

MurileeMartin wrote:

So can they add the insurance $$ to their $500 budget!  Kinda like selling parts off the car.  smile

-Scott

Scott Barton

18 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-08-19 08:14 AM)

or i suppose you could just let neighborhood kids wail on the car w/ a sledgehammer for $5 a pop.  get 10 of 'em to buy in, and you've got $50 toward your budget and a slightly more Lemons'd-out car.

Riktor wrote:

maybe that's why 80% of drivers consider themselves to be "above average."

12+-time loser

19 (edited by VKZ24 2009-08-19 09:35 AM)

I want to know how the conversation went when the dude got out of the Jeep.  I mean did he say "I didn't see the GIANT porcupine' right in front of me?"

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

I want to know how the conversation went when the dude got out of the Jeep.  I mean did he say "I didn't see the GIANT porcupine' right in front of me?"

If I was him I would go with  that I thought it was a hallucination.

I am curious to  out how the insurance claim adjuster would figure out the worth of it.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

VKZ24 wrote:

Well for one he was SERIOUSLY cross-eyed. Even on his driver's license photo. I had to stifle a laugh. The dude had never been in an accident before, so he was super nervous and kind of out of it.

He didn't offer any explanation, and he had no idea his Jeep even got up on the trailer. For a brief moment he said that he didn't think he actually hit the car, because the quills were undamaged. I then made him feel how the quills are practically unbreakable.

That and the fact the I pulled him off the damn freeway with the trailer!

LTDScott wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

Well for one he was SERIOUSLY cross-eyed. Even on his driver's license photo. I had to stifle a laugh. The dude had never been in an accident before, so he was super nervous and kind of out of it.

He didn't offer any explanation, and he had no idea his Jeep even got up on the trailer. For a brief moment he said that he didn't think he actually hit the car, because the quills were undamaged. I then made him feel how the quills are practically unbreakable.

That and the fact the I pulled him off the damn freeway with the trailer!

Wow.  I noticed you said earlier no CHP was involved.  Here in NC if the kid tried to claim on his insurance with no police report to back it up he'd be SOL with most providers.  In over 28 years of driving I've made exactly 2 claims and both times the first words out of the agent's mount were "did you get a police report".  Thankfully I was able to answer yes both times.

When you first exited your truck you should have said "What kind of cross-eyed prick do you have to be to hit a giant porcupine?"  LOL!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

CHP is only needed if there are injuries. I do, however, have to report the accident to the DMV.

Troy wrote:
Riktor wrote:

All this coming from a guy who earned a Seasoned Lemons status in about a week.

Where did you find such a long list of sponsors?  I need some sponsors damn it!!!

If you think average driver's suck on the freeway, wait till you see average drivers or worse... racing in Lemons!

Off topic but any one who knows me can say I get a bit passionate about things I'm interested in... that and I tend to think/discuss/analyze things a bit too much.

To sum it up... I'm a post whore with alot of questions. big_smile

Power-USA.org is my business/website. We're an autmotive enthusiast forum with a goal of unification between sports.

Dallas Enduro Sport, LimeyRacing, and Track ready performance are speed shops I have worked with and went to when my team made the decision to enter Lemons. All you have to do is ask for help in return for endless advertising over a given period. You might be amazed how willing business' are to giving you stuff at cost for a year's worth of advertising.

Monster sponsors our website and a sister website. Their contract is coming up and I have approached AMP for sponsorship. If I can negotiate a good enough deal I may swing them in the direction of Lemons as a whole. So far they love the idea but have yet to be convinced on a solid market for sales/advertising. Red Bull and SoBe are another option but with Sobe's direction towards more mainstream sports; I highly doubt they wan't to work with grassroots any more.

Buzz Killington wrote:

True... and I am the rightful heir to the entire United Kingdom...

Anyone can say they are above average... that doesn't make it so...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:

True... and I am the rightful heir to the entire United Kingdom...

Anyone can say they are above average... that doesn't make it so...

and that was the joke  smile

12+-time loser