Topic: Turbo Probe...what could possibly go wrong?

$500

Not mine, found on craigslist:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ct … 51840.html

I guess the only tricky part is coming up with a theme.

I mean, what could you possibly do for theme with a Probe...

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

Re: Turbo Probe...what could possibly go wrong?

team probulator!!!

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

Relatively sure that first gen probe GT's didn't have factory turbos.... Not sure that would hold up.  It'd be fun though!  smile

Just checked Wikipedia. According to the Hive Mind, they did.

At $500, there's gotta be something wrong.

Aside from being a turbo Probe, that is.

"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

trippinbillies40 wrote:

Relatively sure that first gen probe GT's didn't have factory turbos.... Not sure that would hold up.  It'd be fun though!  smile

Yes they did. I was looking at one back in 89. Bought an SHO instead and never looked back.

As for a theme? The Probenator, use the Probe for everything..........

We've seen at least one Turbo Probe at a Lemons race. I believe it blew up rather quickly.

We've already seen the Come From Behind Probe, though admittedly that one wasn't a turbo car.

Just add lube.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

MurileeMartin wrote:

We've seen at least one Turbo Probe at a Lemons race. I believe it blew up rather quickly.

you don't say.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Troy wrote:

Just add lube.

LOL

Drat! And Double Drat!

Paint the car chrome and dress as aliens.  Bring a cow if you have one handy.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

I dunno, I ran a turbo '89 Probe GT VERY successfully on the dirt track for 1 1/2 years. GREAT motor, the 2.2 turbo. Mine never ran hot, even with a stock radiator in a 50 lap race. They do understeer like a bitch, being wrong wheel drive and all, but they make good power pretty reliably when set up properly. In other words, double check all your hoses!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

they were factory turbo 2.2 liter from 89 till 92 in the GT trim,  Then became a N/A V6 when they changed the bodystyle.

-Martin
Team SHOtime
1986 Formula 1 Benetton racing livery
Old themes - M*A*S*H - Red Rocket Rat car

Speedycop wrote:

They do understeer like a bitch, being wrong wheel drive and all, but they make good power pretty reliably when set up properly.

The obvious answer here it to put that motor in an MR2.

I've seen more MR2 engine or head swaps at Lemons than any other motor.

I'm thinking of a south-park episode...

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

2.2 turbo motor reliable....lol Tell that to Baron and his team (team lost in the dark i think).
during the first yeehaw texas race they blewup 2 turbos, ,one was a rebuilt unit, smoked the ecm and had fuel pump issues.
next texas event in feb they blew the motor up... infact i'm pretty sure they trashed the car and started over... this car was an MX6 but it has the same 2.2t engine.... IMO stay away from turbo rides and just go for good ole n/a engines that prove to be reliable.

the 2.3 ford engine is slow and gutless but she keeps running and running......... i'll take slow and reliable any day of the week over moderately quick and potentially troublesome