Topic: Windshield repair/replace?

We're Lemons newbies and our 90 Acclaim's windshield has seen better days. There is a small star on the DR side that does not obscure the view. The star has spider webbed out recently from the heat in the mad science workshop.

Can we just remove it and call it a day or do we need to replace it with something? If tech would fail us for it I'd rather just remove it now to save everyone a step. I realize the windshield is considered safety equipment so it doesn't count towards the $500 total. We'll be racing at CMP in September if it makes an difference.

www.pleasestartracing.com

Goals for the Plymouth Acclaim : 1. Brake more 2. Break less

Re: Windshield repair/replace?

Hey if you're located in Texas I have a 1994 Acclaim that I'll sell for $250. It's a complete car so it would be good for spares.

The Crank sensor is dead but everything but the heater works. Even A/C...

As for the ruling. I have seen cars running with nothing above the shoulder line. Big Body cars with no glass at all. Kind of like destruction derby. But you might get tired of the wind beating you up.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Just put some clear tape over it and run it.  If it were me, I would rather have something blocking the wind for those long stints.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

Our Z has a few cracks on the driver's side as well.  We have a good spare windshield, but we'd have to buy a new seal to install it which isn't going to happen.  I guess we look through the cracks.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Thanks for the direction guys. We'll tape it and move on to the next of a million other tasks this crap can needs. If we get any words about it in tech we'll remove it with extreme prejudice.

www.pleasestartracing.com

Goals for the Plymouth Acclaim : 1. Brake more 2. Break less

I agree live with it, we have a crack from top to bottom on the drivers side right in the middle, when you're driving you don't even notice it.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

If you want to change windshields, all you need to buy is a tube of windshield adhesive from the parts house of your choosing.  3M makes it and it is about 20 bucks or so.  Just a thought.

Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

cpmskinny wrote:

If you want to change windshields, all you need to buy is a tube of windshield adhesive from the parts house of your choosing.  3M makes it and it is about 20 bucks or so.  Just a thought.

Not on old cars.  The glass would fall right through the sheetmetal opening.  The seal must be used and when they are 35 years old, they are no longer flexible so they can't be removed without cutting them.

'74 260Z

On the older British stuff there's a lock strip in the rubber molding...pull it out, use lots of silicone spray lube and you can ease out the glass then re-use the rubber...If there's an inside lip to keep the glass out of your lap, you could always use the 3M stuff then add windshield tabs, NASCAR style...pass any tech anywhere

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Jeff G 78 wrote:
cpmskinny wrote:

Not on old cars.  The glass would fall right through the sheetmetal opening.  The seal must be used and when they are 35 years old, they are no longer flexible so they can't be removed without cutting them.

How old of a car we talking about here?  Just curious, ours was an 88 and that messy crap worked just fine, there were tabs already there.  Welding the tab on the inside would be a rather elementary fix if one did not want to purchase an expensive seal.

Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

cpmskinny wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:
cpmskinny wrote:

How old of a car we talking about here?  Just curious, ours was an 88 and that messy crap worked just fine, there were tabs already there.  Welding the tab on the inside would be a rather elementary fix if one did not want to purchase an expensive seal.

It's a '74 260Z and that body started in 1969.

'74 260Z

Jeff G 78 wrote:
cpmskinny wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

It's a '74 260Z and that body started in 1969.

Note taken.  I guess I never realized that windshields were just relying on a rubber seal to hold them in back in the day.

Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

Don't worry about slight chips or cracks in the windshield.  We ran Toledo with a cracked windshield- many cracks- and they were okay with it.  As long as there is suitable visibility and the windshield is securely in place, you should be fine.

People with the gasket-type seal, you'll find the rubber seal is total crap when you pull it out.  So I recommend "reinforcing" the seal by gooping it with 3M Windo Weld.  This is pure urethane rubber in liquid form.  Caulk-gun it into the gap between the seal and the car windshield frame.  Also pump it under the seal, between the seal and the windshield glass.  You'll be shocked how well this sticky sticky STICKY goo shores up your old flexy-floppy windshield

Kevin