c clamp ftw!

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

Re: Cheapo bumper-mounted timelapse still camera works well

ecugrad wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:
ecugrad wrote:

Never fear, we thought it was such a good idea, we are seeing if we have a camera that can do the same thing smile

The timelapse feature isn't very common on cameras you can get for cheap... and a cheap camera is best for mounting in the crash-prone locations that get you the best low-vantage-point shots. Of course, if you can find a camera with a remote shutter option, you can easily rig up your own timer device for it.

Crap, I just checked out my personal camera and it does have a crude time lapse option but you have to keep the shutter button depressed sad

Bummer

Zip ties, duct tape and a marble...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

MurileeMartin wrote:

... Courtesy of eBay, I found a late-90s-vintage Kodak DCS-290 camera ...

If it's not too much trouble, could you double check that model number? From what I saw on Kodak's website, the DCS series is a discontinued line of high end SLRs??

Thanks!

RoadRunner wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

... Courtesy of eBay, I found a late-90s-vintage Kodak DCS-290 camera ...

If it's not too much trouble, could you double check that model number? From what I saw on Kodak's website, the DCS series is a discontinued line of high end SLRs??

Thanks!

http://www.thaidphoto.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=371555&stc=1&d=1248889734

Whoops, I meant DC290. Looks like there are no cheap ones on eBay at the moment. Anyway, it was kind of a PITA to deal with- really maddening, slow late-90s interface. The CHDK scripts for Canon Powershots seem intriguing, so I might take that route for my next BumperCam.

MurileeMartin wrote:

he CHDK scripts for Canon Powershots seem intriguing, so I might take that route for my next BumperCam.

success!

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

jerjozwik wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

he CHDK scripts for Canon Powershots seem intriguing, so I might take that route for my next BumperCam.

success!

Have you actually made the CHDK code work on a camera?

MurileeMartin wrote:
jerjozwik wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

success!

Have you actually made the CHDK code work on a camera?

It is really easy if you have a card reader... you just boot it up each time you want to use it, unless your memory card is under 4gb - in this case there are autostart scripts.

it is nice to boot it up though, this way - each time your turn your camera on it starts normally - then you can go into CHDK mode if you feel like it.

Uberbird!

FatBraff wrote:

It is really easy if you have a card reader... you just boot it up each time you want to use it, unless your memory card is under 4gb - in this case there are autostart scripts.

it is nice to boot it up though, this way - each time your turn your camera on it starts normally - then you can go into CHDK mode if you feel like it.

I'll try it on my SD850, though there's no way in hell I'm bolting that camera on a Lemons car's bumper. I don't quite get the "boot from card reader" part, though- you mean boot from the memory card, or via USB cable to an external card reader attached to the camera?

http://cache-foo-01.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/08/504x_LBW09-Top-14-500px.jpg

http://cache-foo-02.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/08/504x_LBW09-Top-07-500px.jpg

http://cache-foo.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/08/504x_LBW09-Top-21-500px.jpg

Quite a few BumperCam photos on the Top 95 Lemons Of Buttonwillow Lemons post. You can't miss 'em!

nice!

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

Thats just awesome!!

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

http://cache-foo-08.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/08/504x_LBW09-Top-31-500px.jpg

http://cache-foo-07.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/12/2009/08/504x_LBW09-Top-27-500px.jpg

A couple more.

I love those shots!  I'm definitely going to have to make a camcorder mount for the rear of the Colt.

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

the trojan rabbit volunteers it's services for nelson ledges, our steel bumper(front or rear) is still 80%+ steel so you would have a good mounting surface...
                    Dave

Link: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
Camera review site with a nifty tool to lookup cameras by feature. If you include discontinued models, there are a bunch that have the time lapse feature, but I'd steer clear of all the ones with really small lenses... IMHO, the bigger the lens, the more light gets in, the less hard the electronics has to work to clean up what hits the receptor.

Now if y'all would stop outbidding me on the Kodaks on eBay... wink
(Actually, that's what prompted me to look for a Plan B.)

OK, I just tried out the CHDK intervalometer script on my Canon SD800, and it seems to work as advertised; I can get the camera to shoot every X number of seconds, with any settings I want. Now I'm going to find a cheap used CHDK-compatible Canon and will plan on putting it on some bumpers at CMP.

Look at the big hole between our taillights:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/eyesoreracing/Lemon/P1030232.jpg

Our radiator vents partially through the trunk, necessitating this big hole. That means we can put the camera safely inside the trunk and shoot through the hole. It will be a little warm in there, but still safer than the outside of the car... We'll be at T-hill if you wanna try it.

-Dave

43 (edited by theallpowerfulme 2009-08-23 09:58 PM)

Gopro cameras have a function where they will take time-lapse photos. However, you cannot simultaneously record video, it is only one or the other.

MM, you are welcome to throw a cam on the SVX @ cmp. Unfortunately, the brief on-track stints may make it not worth the trouble. We did just put on new brakes, so you know, one less thing.

OK, will take note of all camera-mounting volunteers for upcoming races. Thanks!

Hey, this was a great idea!  I used to have one of these Kodaks (my first digi camera) and never thought about such a novel use.  I think I gave it to my sister...I wonder if she still has it...

Murilee, it looks like the zip ties should have gone over the camera...

OverStimulated wrote:

Murilee, it looks like the zip ties should have gone over the camera...

I did have zipties holding the camera to the 2x4, using the metal rings originally made for the carrying strap mounts. They broke.