Topic: Metal fuel lines in cabin, and tank fill pipe

The Fiat has metal fuel lines running through the cabin - the fuel tank is mounted in the trunk behind the rear bulkhead and the metal lines are routed through the cabin along the driver's side frame rail.  Is this acceptable?  I suppose if it's not, I could get some metal tubing and reroute them under the floor, but that seems to make them more vulnerable to debris etc.

In addition, the parcel shelf just above the tank has a bunch of holes in it (was originally covered by the pressboard parcel shelf covering), and the filler pipe passes through the corner of the shelf and is mounted to the right pillar, above the window line (the tank cap is just behind the rear passenger vent window).  In keeping with the rule about a sealed bulkhead between the tank and the passenger compartment, I will weld plating or make hatch doors over the parcel shelf holes, but the metal fill pipe is a problem.  Can I just seal the hole around the pipe where it passes through the parcel shelf and leave the pipe mounted in its OEM location?

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Re: Metal fuel lines in cabin, and tank fill pipe

The rules state that any OE lines through the cockpit are kosher so long as they don't leak and whatnot.  We covered ours with a metal plate for a little extra protection.  Honestly the OE locations are probably the best since they engineered the damn car in the first place...by best i mean for that car,not best in general.
Our little civic has them running right by the driver.  Not great in a side crash but better than 4 inches off the ground running under your seat or beside the exhaust.

"Any fuel, oil, or coolant lines that pass through the driving compartment must be encased by heavy-duty conduit, durable steel or aluminum pipe, or strong metal plate. OE metal lines in good condition in their original location are exempt from this rule, but encasement is still recommended."

3 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2009-08-24 09:26 AM)

One small reminder...
When you weld your cage in place make sure you protect those lines.
A piece of slag or making accidental contact with the welding tip could ruin your day.
Brainofjjj has a good point, it really doesn't hurt to put some kind of shield over the lines. This will also satisfy the inspectors when they start questioning whether your lines are safe or not. If they are rubbing on anything you will want to shield them.
Good luck with the rest of the car.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:

Good luck with the rest of the car.

Thanks, we are going to need it.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas