Topic: Rental Transponder install questions

I'm totally new to all of this.  How do you install the rental transponder in the race car?  Do I need to make sure I have a 12 volt power point ready to wire it in or is it a self sufficient unit that only needs to be attached to the car somewhere?

Re: Rental Transponder install questions

They have their own battery. You have to mount it vertically within about 12" of the ground with no metal right below it. It was suggested to mount in to the side of the spare tire well, which is what we did. A single bolt, although a washer would be a good idea for next time. You're responsible if it falls off and gets destroyed. Just bring a cordless drill and some bolts and work it out at the track.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

Long strong zip-ties also work.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

We use 2 zipties on the top and bottom holes.. it's worked for 4 races so far

Come on, they should hang it off the front or rear bumper with dental floss.  It only cost like $500 to replace.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I'll tell you where you should NOT mount it: zip tied to the dash bar on the car, ~36" off the ground.

That cost us at least 8 laps on top of the 8 that were recorded...

We'll chalk that one up to rookie effort...

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."