Topic: Simple Seat Q

3.2: Driver's Seat: Driver's seatback must reach above middle of helmet or higher. One-piece SFI- or FIA-rated competition seats very strongly encouraged. All seats must be very securely mounted to the floor or cage to avoid separation during a crash. All seatbacks must be securely attached to the seat base and braced or otherwise restrained against rearward failure.

If we have a basic racing seat, and it's bolted to a plate which is on OEM sliders, are we considered legal?  half of our team is 5' 7-8", the other half is 6' 4-6" and we don't want to have a 6" pillow (although that would be comfortable)

My understanding of the aforementioned rule is that the seat can't recline, but can slide fore and aft, correct?

Thanks,
Chip

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

2 (edited by cpmskinny 2009-08-25 11:08 AM)

Re: Simple Seat Q

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but you don't want your seat to be able to move at all.  The sliders could fail in the case of an accident and, in turn, loosen up the belts on the shorter guys since the seatback is not adequately supported.    Wait until you get some more feedback, but I know I wouldn't want the seat to have the possibility to move while I am strapped into it.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

cpmskinny wrote:

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but you don't want your seat to be able to move at all.  The sliders could fail in the case of an accident and, in turn, loosen up the belts on the shorter guys since the seatback is not adequately supported.    Wait until you get some more feedback, but I know I wouldn't want the seat to have the possibility to move while I am strapped into it.

We used a Sparco slider set made for racing, thats what youd want.  I don't know that I would trust OEM sliders so much.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

NDGeist wrote:

3.2: Driver's Seat: Driver's seatback must reach above middle of helmet or higher. One-piece SFI- or FIA-rated competition seats very strongly encouraged. All seats must be very securely mounted to the floor or cage to avoid separation during a crash. All seatbacks must be securely attached to the seat base and braced or otherwise restrained against rearward failure.

If we have a basic racing seat, and it's bolted to a plate which is on OEM sliders, are we considered legal?  half of our team is 5' 7-8", the other half is 6' 4-6" and we don't want to have a 6" pillow (although that would be comfortable)

My understanding of the aforementioned rule is that the seat can't recline, but can slide fore and aft, correct?

Thanks,
Chip

After going through tech at Reno and one of the inspectors mentioning that our seat passed tech by being within 6 inches of the roll cage. Our seat is The Kirky racing seat, solid one piece design. We attached it to sliders and I think that's why he mentioned it.
Before the Buttonwillow race I put in a adjusting rear seat back support for one of our drivers who was really short, it worked out real sweet and passed tech in a breeze.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

"being within 6 inches of the roll cage". What exactly was meant by this? Our seat almost hits the roll cage.

So does it need to be within 6 inches?

6 (edited by NDGeist 2009-08-25 02:29 PM)

I just took another look through the rule book, and I can't find this rule.  /confused.

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

Our seat is mounted on sliders.  We use a Kirkey Pro Drag.

The proximity of the seat to the roll bar is to keep it from flexing/bending back to far in an accident.

I made an adjustable rear seat support and had it in for the June race.  It's an additional seat slider that attaches between the roll cage and seat.  Use one hand to pull the lower seat release and the other hand to pull the cable for the seat back.  Once the seat is in place they lock shut and the seat is secured as long as the sliders don't fail.

Rear seat braces are not currently required if the seat back is within 6" of the cross bar.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

We have a momo rookie seat (fixed back) with momo sliders and it's only about 4 inches from the cage in the back.

We should be good to go.
Thanks

NDGeist wrote:

I just took another look through the rule book, and I can't find this rule.  /confused.

Dear confused:
I didn't say it was in the Lemons rule book I said "one of the inspectors mentioning that our seat passed tech by being within 6 inches of the roll cage". He didn't even say it was part of the rules, he mentioned it as a note I suppose because I was using the original sliders with a brand new seat. Tech inspectors  make suggestions all the time, at the last race one told me I should put a bracket on my intake air cleaner cause he thought it might fall off. I took that into consideration and built a strap that holds it tighter. These guys know what they're doing and if they make comments or suggestions to me I make it a point to utilize them 'cause most of them make sense. One of my drivers has the seat all of the way forward which in our car puts it about 14" away from any rear support so I took his comment and built the support bracket for added safety. There are a lot of guys racing that are a hell of a lot smarter than me and they will tell you that stock seat supports will fail if given enough front,  rear or side impact. I guess I should have been more clear in why I made a rear seat support.
My Bad!

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

FWIW, we've used the adjustable seat support that IO Port Racing supplies makes and sells and it's passed tech. Cheers.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/m … ry_Code=IH

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

11 (edited by ecniv 2009-08-26 10:31 AM)

I failed tech in Reno because I didn't have a seat back brace. At the time, it wasn't specifically stated in the rules, I would go by what the NASA CCR says for seat mounting/bracing. If you do that, you can't go wrong.

12 (edited by NDGeist 2009-08-27 06:49 AM)

So, based on the randomness of this thread, I *think* we're OK if we show up with our 1pc seat, on OE sliders, as long as the distance between seatback and cage is NTE 6".  In the future, we'll get some sparco or similar sliders to use instead of the OE ones.

Sound about right?

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

We use a cheep fixed back seat bolted to steel plate which is welded to the original OE seat sliders.  We added a small bracket to prevent the seat from being moved forward more than 3 inches.  No trouble or comments passing tech.  I think you'r fine.

Not all who wander are lost.