Topic: Rule clarification on Exhaust

So with the new exhaust rules will it not be legal to run your exhaust straight up. Assuming of course you can make it pass soundcheck?
Our team wanted to do our exhaust pretty much a muffler straight off our manifolds and then a stack a foot or two off the top roofline of the car. Other teams have done similiar setups in the past.
Would such a setup still be acceptable or must we route our exhaust at least aft driver even if there is no fire/heat risk nor exhaust fume risk.

Re: Rule clarification on Exhaust

basic rule of thumb is: don't point your exhaust pipes at your gas tank. i don't see how it could be illegal for you to stick with your plan, unless you have your fuel stored on the roof. It's good you're asking. im sure other people will clarify better than me so wait for them to speak

as I understood the rule exhaust could not exit in front of the driver anywhere

troubleonwheels wrote:

as I understood the rule exhaust could not exit in front of the driver anywhere

Yep, new rule... so what folks did before doesn't matter..

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Yeah that is kinda what I'm assuming. After the little fire I'm sure the insurance company will want that one strickly enforced. Sucks because routing it straight up and out is really dirt simple, and hard to break. Last year we had a good amount of time in the pits due to exhaust violations when our 20 year old downpipe kept on wanting to blow holes out the side of itself from hitting on track debris.

The main purpose of the new rule is to keep hot stuff away from fuel lines and tanks (or both, in the case of the crispy E30 at CMP)--so we're not automatically opposed to the out-the-manifold smokestack. Just make sure it's got enough muffling to meet the noise regs, is tall enough so as not to asphyxiate the driver, and of course doesn't come anywhere close to any gasoline.

7 (edited by rsafier 2009-05-11 08:44 PM)

Yeah we are pretty stupid but think we can manage not completely burning down our E30. Tho last year at Toledo we had a pretty much constant in-cabin fire for the last 4 hours, the car still made it and will live again for the Nelson 24.

Its still a toss up if we will use the front exit exhaust. I'm actually worried more about the heat of exhaust manifold and piping near  water lines we are thinking about routing in that area.

On that note... the exhaust on our E30 is routed the same way as the factory (i.e. it runs right next to the gas tank). We have cut it short and it ends right next to the gas tank, but it has an angled tip welded on that angles the exit away from the tank. Would this be acceptable?

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

9 (edited by Ottobon 2009-05-11 10:09 PM)

I was also wondering, on a car with a considerably poor reputation for exhaust leaks are their any limitations $$$ wise on what we can spend?  I thought as a safety item it was unlimited, but i may have skipped something.

Ottobon wrote:

I was also wondering, on a car with a considerably poor reputation for exhaust leaks are their any limitations $$$ wise on what we can spend?  I thought as a safety item it was unlimited, but i may have skipped something.

Anything behind the manifolds does not count towards the total.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Scott, you were probably OK with the OEM E30 routing--where the crispy car got in trouble was when they used non-OE stuff that was then routed directly at the gas tank. Give the pipe at least 3-4 inches of room to the tank--a little bolted-on sheet metal can also go a long way as a heat shield.