Topic: Camber on a MacPherson strut car

We have a typical MacPherson strut front end car.  We haven't added camber plates on the top of strut, all we did was use the eliptical camber bolts.  The car is a little lower than stock.  When pointed straight we have almost -3.0 neg camber.  Now at Thunderhill I noticed (as an observer) that under hard cornering the front wheel looked like it had positive camber.  Does lowering the car slightly and adding camber boltss have a ngetaive effect on camber under hard cornering??  Also the guys pitted next to us took a tire temp reading and the outside of the tire was about 20 degrees hotter than the inside, this would mean we need more negative camber, but we have -3.0 now, any toughts?

Re: Camber on a MacPherson strut car

yeesh, that's already a lot for static camber. Focus on roll reduction instead. At the end of the event was it still worn more on the outside? A lot depends on suspension design, but generally -3 is a fair bit for an endurance event due to straight line tire wear, and it impacts braking too. I run less than that, but my car has a much more advanced suspension.... I run about -2.5 on my "real" race car which is struts tho. I'd go for roll control rather than more camber. Run more positive caster too, which gives negative camber in a turn, without the straight line camber penalty.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Lots of issues at play here... One that some miss is the tire. If you have a soft and or tall sidewall you can lose a lot of that built in camber as the tire deforms under load.

In addition, you need to take into account how your suspension acts during compression.

For myself I am a fan of trying to add camber at the tower as its effects can be moar betterer and also help some geometry issues as well.

Daniel Sycks

dsycks wrote:

Lots of issues at play here... One that some miss is the tire. If you have a soft and or tall sidewall you can lose a lot of that built in camber as the tire deforms under load.

In addition, you need to take into account how your suspension acts during compression.

For myself I am a fan of trying to add camber at the tower as its effects can be moar betterer and also help some geometry issues as well.

depending on car, it may benefit to actually raise rather than lower. without custom control arms, mounts, etc, you can ruin geometry wif too much low.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

We have low sidewall 255/40/17 tires. How can we change the castor? When you say limit roll stiffness, you mean with stiffer springs? The tire wear was pretty good

BREDatsun wrote:

We have low sidewall 255/40/17 tires. How can we change the castor? When you say limit roll stiffness, you mean with stiffer springs? The tire wear was pretty good

Springs & sway bar(s).

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Add caster. Lots of it. get rid of some of the decamber, raise the car a bit... you need to look at the lower arm angle under cornering - use a half dozen Samoans to sit on the "outside corner" of the car then jack the inside corner up about three inches to simulate full hard corner loading... check camber then, with the wheel cranked about how you would think it was when you were at maximum Gee.

You can also change caster at the strut tower as well.

Just think outside the box a bit and all will become clear.

Daniel Sycks

I know how to adjust the caster on the Galaxie, but how to you go about measuring it?  It doesn't seem as straight forward as camber measurement.  Is it best just to go to a shop?

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

It's called "poor camber curve", very typical with McStrut suspension.

A proper sports car with a double wishbone suspension (or one of those other more complicated designs that it hurts my brain to think about) is designed such that the camber goes more negative as the suspension compresses so that you can run "conservative" static camber settings for good highway/street wear, but have the negative camber that you need to give you a flat contact patch under cornering. That would be a "good" camber curve... something like a Miata will gain about a degree for every inch of suspension travel (and they only have about 2.5" of travel).

The McStrut doesn't have a good camber curve (in general, it can't), and in non-performance applications (such as most FWD Lemons cars), the camber curve may actually go POSITIVE under compression, as yours does.

As someone mentioned, one way to deal with this is with roll stiffness. Big ol' front swaybar or stiffer springs/shocks. No roll = no camber change. That can be good. But, the big front bar comes with some negatives, such as inducing understeer. You can counter that by stiffening the rear even more than you did the front to get the balance of the car back. Then you won't have an understeer bias, and you'll have camber for a good contact patch... but the car will be super-stiff and unforgiving to drive. Decisions, decisions!

I like dsycks suggestion better. If you simply wanted more negative camber from slotting the top strut mounts, you'd slot inward... to get more caster (and thus more negative camber when the wheel is turned), you'd want to also slot rearward. I'd try slotting the upper mounts inward and rearward at about 45 degrees to get maximum negative AND maximum caster. Set it as far as it will go and see what you end up with and how it feels.

Don't forget to correct your toe after messing with the camber!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

11 (edited by BREDatsun 2011-08-15 11:12 PM)

One problem I think we have is we have stock spring diameter and perches, (no coilovers) the stock spring size don't have much clearance so if I slot the strut tower the spring may rub against the strut tower. I really need some coilovers, but I have to room under my residual value. We're stuck with what we have I guess

Then you're back to...

Springs & sway bar(s).

DC Doug wrote:

I know how to adjust the caster on the Galaxie, but how to you go about measuring it?  It doesn't seem as straight forward as camber measurement.  Is it best just to go to a shop?

Caster is pretty complicated to measure.  You can use "turn plates" which are basically metal plates with bearings and protractors to measure the angle and caster of the wheel when you turn it.  They're not terribly accurate and they're expensive.  There are electronic tools for ~$200 - $300.  It's kind of a black art to me, no matter how much I read about it I feel like it's vague.

Do a google search and prepare to be lost.

http://www.google.com/search?q=caster+measurement

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dsycks wrote:

Lots of issues at play here...

On our first car we hacked the strut tower tops up pretty bad and finally had to move the lower control arm mount hole out and up to get the last degree, this current build was going to leave the top alone and just move the bottom.. My question, what is the drawback? Wheres the bettterer part?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

BREDatsun wrote:

One problem I think we have is we have stock spring diameter and perches, (no coilovers) the stock spring size don't have much clearance so if I slot the strut tower the spring may rub against the strut tower. I really need some coilovers, but I have to room under my residual value. We're stuck with what we have I guess

Find smaller diameter rear springs off a small car with a motion ratio less than 1 (so the spring has to be relatively stiff).  If you figure out the length you need for a given rate, you can figure out approximately what coil wire diameter you need for X number of active coils and then just find something close.  I see ~3.5" diameter springs on the ground at the junkyard all the time.

We extented the control arm at the bottom where the ball joint bolts on.  Now have -2.6 deg camber without touching the upper strut mount.  Our strut assemblies are one piece with the spindle, not bolted together, so we can only change camber by changing the angle of the strut, thus move the bottom out or move the top in.  With stiff springs and some negative camber, the Star Specs wear like iron.

Struts work OK if you don't let them move.  Use really stiff springs and a big front bar (at least on a RWD car).

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

To break things down even further...

If you look at the lower control arm and the strut at rest:
if the LCA is angled down - as it moves toward horizontal it actually moves the bottom of the strut away from the center of the car and increases camber.
if the LCA is parallel to the ground or angled upward as it continues up it will move the strut toward the center of the car and decrease camber.

Since the LCA is always the same length, and the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, the bottom of the strut must move in and out, as the LCA moves up and down, and the camber angle is going to change as it does.

For best results you want it to move from slightly downward to parallel, as that will add camber through its motion.  The change in angle will be least closest to parallel.  If you have lowered it to the point where the LCA is angled up all the negative camber is going to get used up by the LCA changing the angle as it rolls.

How did you lower it?  Cut springs?  What kind of car is it?  Lowering it anyway except with smaller tires still means the LCA angle will change.  Why not raise the front 1/2" and run a 225/50-15 tire for a net change in ride height of zero.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Quick ????  Do you have strut tower brace?  IF you don't....MAKE a strong one....its possible that part of the camber issue is from chassis flex......the strut brace should help this....

I also like Daniel's idea of much more castor and more camber...3.0 sounds like alot....but with a 20F differential to the outside, clearly there is an issue.....  However your tire wear is good....so it can't be that bad? 

More roll control is also a great idea....stiffer springs or stiffer roll bar can't hurt..BUT adding stiffness to the front will INCREASE understeer too....which tends to be a limiting factor in FWD cars.....so be sure to increase the rear at the same rate, assuming you want the handling to remain the same....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

18 (edited by X-args 2011-08-16 08:55 AM)

We ended up raising the Cavalier back up a little just to get back on the good side of the LCA angle issue, plus moving the strut tops in with ghetto camber plates (drilling a new set of holes in the strut tower!).
That left reasonably even tire wear and good handling, but strut cars will always have the lack of camber gain problem/workarounds.

We added enough rear spring and sway bar that the inside rear wheel was often in the air, that's pretty much as far as you can go...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

Somehow Porsche makes struts work pretty well.

GM just changed a few things around on their front suspension and did a "HiPer Strut" as well... VERY cool stuff.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/11 … -tech_dept

Daniel Sycks

Wow good stuff everyone, thanks,

The car is a Maxima, stock wheels are 15", but we bought the car with 17" Z-car wheels , we run 255/40/17 tires, the LCA looks parallel.  The previous owner installed some slightly lower / 20% stiffer than stock springs, stock anti-roll bars front and rear, the car was dropped maybe 1.5" all around (though we did cut the rear springs to drop the rear more) The car still pushes bad, feels like forever before we can pick-up the throttle for corner exit.  Too soon and it pushes off the track (and a black flag), too late and speed is effected all the way to the next corner.  I and my 'mates just don't have the expertise to re-drill the strut tower holes for better camber/castor without running the danger of really messing things up, then again, the springs are so wide, there isn't much room.  To compound the problem, we can never get a residual value under $499.99 so buying even junkyards parts is out. I guess we just have to make do. I have read that a properly set-up FWD racer will lift the rear inside wheel, since our car is so friggen heavy, I doubt that will ever happen, LOL!!

Thanks again, good stuff

If you disconnect the front swaybar you will lift the rear tire. Your car isn't any heavier than a SHO.

22 (edited by BREDatsun 2011-08-16 01:48 PM)

Sergio,

Hay, yea, I think I'll give that a try and see if the car rotates better.  That is easy to do at the track and doesn't cost anything, Hmmmm.  Will that cause MORE front roll and MORE positive camber (what we want to get rid of in the first place)?  Definately worth trying

23 (edited by jrbe 2011-08-16 03:34 PM)

With McPherson struts usually you can measure from the center of the strut top to the center of the axle to read caster.  This doesnt always work as some struts dont follow the caster line very closely or at all.  The angle changes slightly as the suspension comes up.

With double a arms you measure the angle of the outer ball joints centerlines "leaning back" for caster measurement.

Pulling the front bar will make it push less but will allow it to roll more.  Beefing up the rear bar if it has one can help.  Using soft swaybar bushings and links up front or stiffer ones on the rear could help slightly too.

If you could find a way to raise the rear ride height a bit it may help (more weight forward, less in the rear) but can throw suspension geometry out of whack.  Check toe, camber, etc. if you do change ride height.

You could add tall soft bump stops to "raise" the the rear spring rate which effectively puts more weight on the front outside wheel when cornering. Search "bump stop spring rate" and you can find a bunch on the internet.

If you can get rid of weight in the car this can help everything a lot.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

A fully caged maxima should be able to get down to around 2500# and maybe a hint less if put on the right diet.

Also... bump stops as extra damping? Are we putting ALL our secrets on the forums now?

Daniel Sycks

I yanked the front bar on my old Mk4 Golf and loved it. The feel of turn in was a bit soft as the car took a set but once it bit it ate its way to the inside of the turn. It also let me put power down much sooner as the inside tire had much better bite which was actually an issue with TDI torque.

I find this to be a better option than taking grip away from the rear tires which is what happens when you lift a rear wheel. Then again for some drivers the lack of feel and feedback would be so troubling that they would lose their minds inside 30 mins of track time.

Your mileage may vary.

Daniel Sycks