Topic: Chevy Sprint Turbo to debut at TWS, condition yet unknown

Cross another one off the wanted list.  This was planned as an underground effort, but since Nick posted it on Facebook (with permission) here's the big reveal.  It's caged and hopefully tech-worthy, but after head gasket change #1 it still blows exhaust into the cooling system.  Head is flat and not cracked, block might be warped or cracked.  There's not much I can do from 1100 miles away, but any advice or help would be appreciated by my friends in New Mexico who are building the car.

http://i43.tinypic.com/bhm04l.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/zrdwz.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/23k95w5.jpg

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Re: Chevy Sprint Turbo to debut at TWS, condition yet unknown

SWEET........I remember these........take the 1.3L and add boost.....always a winning combo!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

1.0L.  Actually, 993cc.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Its a looker.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I think that the failure point is boost.  NEEDZ MOHR!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

any other motor bolt up to that?

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Jackasic wrote:

any other motor bolt up to that?

And destroy all the unique charm of a boosted 3 cylinder?

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

weird I know ...

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

obsolete wrote:

1.0L.  Actually, 993cc.

Ha! We go it by 5cc and 1 cylinder.

In addition to having 3 cylinders and displacing marginally less than a liter, both the block and head are aluminum.  It only has one cam, 6 valves, and revs to 6k, so it's not exactly a bike engine.

But does it have pushrods? Real cars have pushrods.

Interesting bit of info is that some mini people put the 3 cyl in as an upgrade to the A series and for the 5 speed trans. Plus it's loads lighter.

At 75hp it's got us by 13 (we dynoed at 62). Would be fun to have them on the same track.

davisriley wrote:

Thats funny cause I was thinking it was going to be driver....

Mike,
Team Reynolds Style
www.teamreynoldsstyle.com

DrunkMike wrote:
davisriley wrote:

Have you spent no time around the penalty box?  It's NEVER the drivers fault.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Ah, most excellent.

I have many fond memories of blasting around town leaving really skinny black marks in my buddy's Turbo Sprint back in high school.

He never grew up.... still has one, as well as a Swift GTI and a Pontiac Firefly Turbo.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

15 (edited by rhorad1 2012-02-02 11:46 AM)

I spent almost a full hour looking over one of these engine transaxle set ups at pull a part.  Lots of very small  parts there, lots of fail. If you use a blow dryer as the boost the axle shafts wont hold up. there is a reason why they were only sold in southern flat states. Wish I had one.

Wetland American Racing (WAR)  #77 Swamp Thang Granada
2011 Cain't get Bayou IOE and Class C winner
Shop Location: Bayou Self, La.

I want one of those "Made in Detroit" stickers, even though: A) I own no products actually made in Detroit; and B) the guy would probably need to be holding a sawed-off Remington rather than a wrench in order for the image to be timely.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

DrunkMike wrote:

Mike, I hope we get far enough to find out.

DrunkMike wrote:
davisriley wrote:

Are you kidding?  We've got a crazy pilot, a girl physicist and two GM-enthusiast Michigan Tech grads.  This is the A-squad.

Team Reynolds Style
Team Turbo Style (RIP)

You have a psychic? Cool! Ask them how this car is gonna run and see what they say. You may be able to use the info to fix what is bound to go wrong in advance!

Daniel Sycks

cszackie wrote:
DrunkMike wrote:
davisriley wrote:

Are you kidding?  We've got a crazy pilot, a girl physicist and two GM-enthusiast Michigan Tech grads.  This is the A-squad.

The inner GM child in you is, I'm sure, weeping into a pillow as you type that...

Mike,
Team Reynolds Style
www.teamreynoldsstyle.com

Pull  the plugs and use a radiator pressure tester to test the system. Look into all the cylinders while testing. Job 1 is finding exactly where it's leaking.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Buzz Killington wrote:

I want one of those "Made in Detroit" stickers, even though: A) I own no products actually made in Detroit; and B) the guy would probably need to be holding a sawed-off Remington rather than a wrench in order for the image to be timely.

I bought some for our Detroit (OK, Illinois) made Lemons car here:

http://www.madeindetroit.com/portal/sto … ypeID=3576

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

TURBO SPRINT UPDATE:  After combining another new head gasket with a LOT of copper spray, the head seems to be holding pressure.  There may be a proper test drive in a few days but sorting out things like the kill switch and drivers seat seemed more important.

At this point I'd say there'a a pretty good chance we'll see a few laps next weekend.

Team Reynolds Style
Team Turbo Style (RIP)

cszackie wrote:

TURBO SPRINT UPDATE:  After combining another new head gasket with a LOT of copper spray, the head seems to be holding pressure.  There may be a proper test drive in a few days but sorting out things like the kill switch and drivers seat seemed more important.

At this point I'd say there'a a pretty good chance we'll see a few laps next weekend.

THUMBS UP!

crushcrushscramtrophytrophyjudgetrophyjudgetrophytrophytrophy....
The legacy continues.

Cool! Good luck!
There are guides online to convert the NA G10 block from the Metro to a G10T if that one is trashed. They have floating cylinder liners IIRC that can make head sealing problematic if damaged. It might even be a good idea to grab 2 extra complete G10's incase something happens during the race. Two hefty guys can swap them out by hand after all.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360