Topic: open source data aquisition/display/logging project ideas

I am daydreaming about an Arduino ( http://www.arduino.cc/  ) based open source project for collecting, displaying, and using some basic data... mostly as an excuse to buy an arduino board and get my geek on.

I have no formal training or experience on this stuff but i kind of understand what input signals are available, the data displays and logging capabilities, etc. and how that info can be useful to both driver and crew.

Project 1 will be a shift point light.  It will probably cost me over a hundred bucks in parts and dozens of labor hours to figure it out because of the learning curve.

Other projects on my daydream list include

Display via led or lcd of various inputs like temps, oil psi, etc.
Idiot lights
Data logging of temp, oil psi,
Driver inputs logging
Gps logging etc.

Thoughts, ideas, resource links would be welcome an appreciated.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Re: open source data aquisition/display/logging project ideas

Do it. Look at Maker Shed and sparkfun, they've got a ton of Arduino stuff that would be perfect for this project. Like a GPS shield...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I'd certainly be adding an accelerometer (ADXL335) to the future plans list.  Sounds like an awesome project.

~sam

Rusty Tear Racing "Rally" Fiero
2010 Stafford 2011 Summit, Stafford 2012 Loudon, Loudon Class C Win!
2013 Monticello, Loudon, Loudon 2014 NJMP, Loudon 2015 NJMP, Thompson

IgnoranteWest wrote:

I am daydreaming about an Arduino ( http://www.arduino.cc/  ) based open source project for collecting, displaying, and using some basic data... mostly as an excuse to buy an arduino board and get my geek on.

Have you been snooping on my email?  I was just talking about this very thing to someone else.

Actually, my full project, which never got beyond some rough sketches, was based on an Arduino board, an add on GPS module, some sensors to tie into instrument gauges (tach, temp, pressure, etc), and an Xbee Pro board (2 mile outdoor range) to radio live telemetry back to the pits where a receiving station would receive the transmissions.

The Arduino would require a bit of programming, but ultimately it should be minimal as all it is doing is collecting data and sending it over the radio, some error checking for dropped packets would be about all that might be needed (he says without having built the thing).  The more involved piece would be the receiving station that displays the telemetry.

Turns out, the receiving part I actually started working on this weekend while parsing through some GPS data and trying to create a video overlay, none of the apps I found for this worked on a Mac, so I'm writing my own tool for this, and realized this AM that I'm going to be about half way done with what I need for the receiver by the time I have this working.

Likely it would be several weeks before I'd be starting in on this, but the project seems to be building steam...

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

Jimbo, you briefly mentioned a wireless data project the other day when we talked, but not sure if you mentioned arduino? I'm sure that our conversation about data display and laptimes and videos fed the ideas.

I learned about arduino a few months ago when I stumbled on some references to Defcon badges and i was sufficiently curious to spend a day watching videos about open source hardware.

I completely forgot about it until this past Saturday morning when I was surfing youtube again and stumbled onto an arduino project with temperature logging and plotting over time.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

At the end of the day, all this data is going to tell me what I already know.that the car is basically a pile and the drivers dont know how to drive.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

I just want something that will alert the team in the pit that something is wrong: low oil pressure, high temperature, etc.   The theory is that the driver might be to busy/distracted to notice the problem, but a call on the radio might save the car from further damage.

In a perfect world, we could monitor all vital parameters in the pit, along with the car's current GPS location.   And ring an alarm bell when something important happens -- off-track excursion (is GPS accurate enough?), zero oil pressure, zero forward speed, etc.   Oh, and all this for a Lemons price!   smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

IgnoranteWest wrote:

Jimbo, you briefly mentioned a wireless data project the other day when we talked, but not sure if you mentioned arduino? I'm sure that our conversation about data display and laptimes and videos fed the ideas.

I didn't, but I was talking to someone else this AM and did mention it then.  But the one definitely got me thinking about the other.

IgnoranteWest wrote:

I learned about arduino a few months ago when I stumbled on some references to Defcon badges and i was sufficiently curious to spend a day watching videos about open source hardware.

I came across it while looking into building a quad-copter with a camera for getting some interesting shots of Lemons races.  That's when the thought of telemetry came to me, and I never got back around to ordering hardware.  Having our car blow up put a few things on the back burner.  wink

IgnoranteWest wrote:

At the end of the day, all this data is going to tell me what I already know.that the car is basically a pile and the drivers dont know how to drive.

Well, that simplifies things greatly, you only need to illuminate one lamp on the dash...

http://wrightthisway.com/images/yousuck.png

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

9 (edited by RThodal 2012-02-27 03:36 PM)

I actually did this last year on our Saab powered Nissan 300zx. See the picture below (sorry for the poor quality its from my phone). Its based on an arduino uno. It has 3 digits for speed, 2 digit minute timer and a whole row of led's across the top for rpm. The led's all flash when you hit your shift point. I think you'll find that you'll run out of i/o pretty quick. If you do this with an arduino you'll probably be best off with a mega.

I've stopped developing ours to switch over to an android dash to exploit the gps, wireless, etc. capabilities. I'm using bluetooth ioio modules for expandability.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/RThodal/photo.jpg

Team Rust in The Wind #301
1987 Nissan 300zx 2.3L Saab Turbo
https://www.facebook.com/RustinTheWind24HOL

Jimbo, google “arduino auto pilot" someone sells an autopilot shield for rc that will fly predefined gps coordinate patterns

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

RThodal wrote:

I actually did this last year on our Saab powered Nissan 300zx. See the picture below (sorry for the poor quality its from my phone). Its based on an arduino uno. It has 3 digits for speed, 2 digit minute timer and a whole row of led's across the top for rpm. The led's all flash when you hit your shift point. I think you'll find that you'll run out of i/o pretty quick. If you do this with an arduino you'll probably be best off with a mega.

I've stopped developing ours to switch over to an android dash to exploit the gps, wireless, etc. capabilities. I'm using bluetooth ioio modules for expandability.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/ … /photo.jpg

Wow awesome.  Where were you getting tach signal from and did you have to do anything to condition it upstream of the input?

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

I did a row of 12 LED’s for progressive shift lights with an arduino. I can send you the code, it used interrupts for speed. Using a megasquirt, I sent the tach signal to the arduino after conditioning it on the proto area with a transistor.

Bear in mind most car sensors are resistance measuring devices. The computer sends a voltage to the coolant temp sender, for example, and measures the returning current. Only 1 device can actually “measure” the returning current, so you would have to double up on sensors. So the only option you have is to place your arduino in line to make it an amp meter so that it can measure the same current as the gauge. This will introduce a small error (the resistance of the measuring resistor in the amp meter) to the Gauge but nothing too big. You should also use the arduino to measure the applied voltage (across the sensor) and you can then calculate the resistance.

Also, I built a “flash to pass” on the steering wheel which clicks a relay on/off 4 times per second for 2 seconds, which goes to the headlights. I saw it on TV on the Le Mans LMP cars when passing those slow GTE cars : )

olaaf

Flying Rat Motorsports- Turbo Taxi, RIP

The Arduino Uno is a great tool.  Super easy to use.  I'm doing a top secret project with one of these for my car.

My main goal is to get a fuel meter that actually works.   

http://ic2.pbase.com/o2/51/415951/1/141 … rduino.JPG

Pete

Olaaf, thanks for the sensor info, that's what I was wondering about, but didn't know how to define or describe... you post explained it better than I could after a couple hours of browsing and researching that I did.

And flash to pass, how sweet that idea is.:-)

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

RThodal wrote:

I've been looking for an arduino driven Android dash. All I've found is obdii Android dashes. There are some cool outgauge projects for racing Sims. I was thinking it would be cool to drive the gauges and have the LCD in the center display trip computer/fuel left/fuel time remaining. The other outgauge projects drive an Android. I would definitely be interested if you did an Android dash and you were willing to share.

Racechrono for Android is in beta testing, there is a datalogger that connects to it through Bluetooth. It will also Bluetooth to an obdii vehicle iirc. It doesn't display the info on the timer screen but logs it. there is a wish list for Racechrono, predictive lap timer like rumble strip racings lap timer, Android to Android data sharing to see lap times. I'm not sure if the Bluetooth datalogger will spit the data to the other Android as well as lap times. It would need some data connection though.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Track master will do some live laptime reporting

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

17 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2012-02-27 06:27 PM)

happy happy joy joy.  radio shack sells the arduino uno board, I just picked one up.  No sleep for me tonight!

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

18 (edited by EyeMWing 2012-02-27 06:42 PM)

If you want to collaborate on this, let me know. I've been planning a similar project for our cars with OBDII integration (because we're bastards and drive 'new' cars)

I just haven't been arsed to actually start it, because, hey, it's a ton of work. I'm a trained software developer and have a bit of hobby-level experience doing the hardware engineering side and some theoretical experience actually laying this project out on PCBs (I got really fucking bored)

Oh, and I have a nearly unlimited supply of freebie cop-car GSM (old skool 2G) modems if you want to get stupid.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Stupidity is a relative thing.  Let's get stupid.

Are the send and recieve frequency ranges of those modems such that two modems could talk to each other without towers in the middle?

my background is that I'm just a sales monkey slinging software applicationS B2B and B2G. Oh and I flunked out of the UTA EE program in my first year of college. Psshhht like math is important or something.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

I've got a dormant software project that I'd love to have the motivation, and time, to complete. I think it would be something that could be used here.

Link: http://www.kstreetstudio.com/software/bs4tv/index.html

It was originally being developed for the GTech Pro, because that is what I had, but I had plans to adapt it to work with any system's data, even fictitious data. In the later versions I would have the data load into a spreadsheet that included lots of motorsports functions, such as speed from GPS data or from RPM and tire size, aero power losses, etc. Once you had the data the way you wanted it you just assign a column from the spreadsheet to a gauge or other display, the press replay. I'd also try to find a way to eliminate the blue screen step and let you merge your video and data in my software, but hat could be a big headache, trying to keep up with evolving video file standards.

I was also talking to some of the guys who develop extensions for the old Viper Racing game, to get them to provide sounds. Don't like the sound of your 4-banger, how about a Ferrari, or Viper with straight cut gears?

21 (edited by EyeMWing 2012-02-27 08:05 PM)

Unfortunately, these modems require cell service. There are some rather inexpensive options for direct point-to-point radio, though.

It's not like you'd have to be married to any particular remote link technology - a properly designed protocol couldn't give a rat's ass about what sort of connection it's being transmitted over. In this case, doing development and testing on just a direct serial connection would work just as well.

Just for the hell of it, I'll get an arduino (mega) and an OBD chip ordered in here over the next few days and get them talking. After that, my most pressing concerns would be IR temperature probes for evil things like brakes, followed by a good accelerometer and gyro setup (everyone can tell you how many lateral G's they pulled - but nobody can tell you just how fast they managed to get the car to rotate!)

m610, I love it. Eliminating the blue-screen step shouldn't be that hard, since there are only two or three formats worth supporting these days. Divx and friends, H264 and friends, and VP8.

Team FinalGear

ppressle wrote:

The Arduino Uno is a great tool.  Super easy to use.  I'm doing a top secret project with one of these for my car.

My main goal is to get a fuel meter that actually works.   

http://ic2.pbase.com/o2/51/415951/1/141 … rduino.JPG

Pete

Have you seen this?  http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/MPGuino

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

23 (edited by ppressle 2012-02-28 01:40 AM)

Thanks, I hadn't seen that.  Looks interesting.   I wonder if that could accurately be used to measure the fuel consumption.

Any idea how they are measuring the injector pulse duration?  Must be interrupt driven to have any accuracy.  I guess the code is out there. 

For a Lemons car, the main goal is to know how much gas you have left and thus, how much longer you can stay out.  I have been approaching it from the other direction.  Smoothing on the fuel level readings and ignoring readings when there are larger acceleration forces.

The arduino/Maker stuff is great though.  You can google up a device, find a working sample, buy the hardware for cheap on the web, assemble it and then it basically it just works.  I have so many things hanging off the uno at this point, I am out of I/O lines.

ppressle wrote:

I have so many things hanging off the uno at this point, I am out of I/O lines.

And this is why you use the Mega.

Just for shits and giggles, I did a PCB layout for a Mega shield with just about everything under the sun on it.

I ran out of room to route traces on a dual-layer PCB before I ran out of I/O.

Team FinalGear

Damn, more geeks here than I thought!  I've said it before, I'll say it again, I love this forum...

Looks like I'll likely be ordering some Arduino parts pretty soon, I just need to narrow down exactly what I need, and which model Arduino I'll get.

I found a pretty cool GPS module called GeoShield, it includes a GPS, compass, and accelerometer all on one shield.  Price seems a bit steep, though.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Venus GPS and a separate 3-axis accelerometer, but I'm still up in the air on choices.

olaaf wrote:

Bear in mind most car sensors are resistance measuring devices. The computer sends a voltage to the coolant temp sender, for example, and measures the returning current. Only 1 device can actually “measure” the returning current, so you would have to double up on sensors. So the only option you have is to place your arduino in line to make it an amp meter so that it can measure the same current as the gauge. This will introduce a small error (the resistance of the measuring resistor in the amp meter) to the Gauge but nothing too big. You should also use the arduino to measure the applied voltage (across the sensor) and you can then calculate the resistance.

Excellent points, and something that I was planning on struggling with.  I was planning to tap into the aftermarket gauges we have installed on the Sentra, finding the best way to do that without introducing errors and then calibrating the output from the Arduino may be a bit of a challenge.

I need to throw out a question, though.  When I was researching this all last year, I came across an alternative to the Arduino, it was similar to one of the models, but it had bright green screw terminals for all of the I/O, and lots of I/O to boot.  Problem is, I can't recall what the board was called, and my googling the last few days hasn't turned up anything similar.  Maybe the product didn't take off, or it has already morphed into something else?  Does this board ring a bell with anyone?