1 (edited by bongle 2012-06-06 08:24 AM)

Topic: WifiLapper - Laptimer, Data Logger, Telemetry Transmitter - Now Free

Over the last winter, I wrote an android app to help friends of mine in their racing pursuits - they wanted a laptimer, and found most of the existing ones were optimized for 20-minute track sessions.  They wanted one that worked well for their endurance racing in Lemons and CCWS.  I ended up writing WifiLapper.  Over the last 2-3 months I was trying and failing to sell it on the android store, with 1 total sale ($5 minus Google's take minus taxes = whoopy.  PS: if you are the guy that bought it, PM me for a refund).  I realized I wanted to have people enjoying my stuff more than I wanted the couple hundred to couple thousand dollars I'd earn in the best sales case, and if it was free I could spam about it with a clear[er] conscience.

It can do:

• Normal laptiming features using GPS - times laps, displays speed/distance graphs, displays live lap delta (how far ahead or behind you are than at that point in your best lap), and a few other display modes

• Analog inputs using an IOIO board - can log between 5 (currently) and 10 (if someone asks for it) analog inputs at varying sample rates

• Optionally supports high-rate GPS using a bluetooth GPS unit.  We use a $80 QStarz 10hz unit, and it works great after some setup

• Optionally supports OBD2 integration using a $20 bluetooth OBD2 unit.

• Data transmission from phone to pits - Using a stock Wifi router, the phone can connect and blast data traces once per lap from the car to a windows laptop in the pits.  Yes, this has been tested at a race, and yes it actually works*

• Can generate race/session summaries for easy sharing to facebook/g+/twitter/etc

• The pitside app can export to CSV data that can be used with dash overlay programs (DashWare is the main one I support, since I owned a copy) or other data analysis apps.

• You can text the app to display messages to your driver, and the driver can tap to acknowledge (with the acknowledgement optionally sending a "acknowledged" text to your phone in the pits)

*Transmission worked for 2 out of 3 phones it has been raced with so far, and the one non-working phone transmitted for 45 minutes, then ceased (although laptiming continued).  I blame Samsung's network drivers.  The Sony and Motorola we used worked fine.  I've got a list of recommended (and cheap!) hardware on the website.

So anyway, if this is interesting to anyone, the website is:
http://sites.google.com/site/wifilapper

The app is here.  It doesn't look like my free-izing of it has taken place yet.  It usually takes a few hours for changes to propagate, so give it some time.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … &hl=en

There's a demo of the dashware output here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKRrQsy0Ugc

There's a single-shot instructional video here, which includes data transmission at about the 6:00 mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40q38Plnz1s

Here's a shot of data collected from my friend's last ChumpCar race using the 10hz GPS.  This compares a good lap's speed/distance chart with a lap when they were having fuel issues:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7085/7253004468_8580ab4b95_z.jpg

Here's a summary page generated for the 3.5 hours the app was running until it crashed (crash fixed now) in my friend's car.  The summary page is still a bit chewy.  I could really use someone with photoshop skills to mock me up a good "target" look for it.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8153/7159630027_62c3736823_z.jpg

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Re: WifiLapper - Laptimer, Data Logger, Telemetry Transmitter - Now Free

Awesome!

I'll going to try and implement this alongside my video streaming. Would be very cool to have telemetry data with the video.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Awesome!

I'll going to try and implement this alongside my video streaming. Would be very cool to have telemetry data with the video.

Alas, the wifi stuff is once-per-lap data dumping rather than live-updating.  The radio range on a consumer wifi router isn't good enough to cover a whole racetrack unless it's like a half-mile circle track.

If a connection could be maintained between the phone and laptop though, it wouldn't be that technically difficult to send live data.  One two-minute lap at Shannonville, even with the 10hz GPS, was only generating about 13kb of data.  My friend's car only generated 150mb of data in 14 hours of racing.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

ah, missunderstood. Still cool though. I'll probably still try and get it working.

I'm in the process of trying to get a boosted router setup working so that i can maintain a wifi link from car to pits. Pretty sure i can make it work.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

ah, missunderstood. Still cool though. I'll probably still try and get it working.

I'm in the process of trying to get a boosted router setup working so that i can maintain a wifi link from car to pits. Pretty sure i can make it work.

At Shannonville we were using a WRT54GL with +8db omnidirectional antennas, right along the wall between the pits and track.  It would maintain a connection along the whole front straight and would reacquire the connection when the car came back towards the pits after T3 (on the summary page, below and to the right of the start/finish line marker).  DD-WRT permits you to boost output power from 80mW to about 250mW, but I didn't play with that since it was working satisfactorily already.

Cool. I'm trying to have the router in the car, and the receive antenna in the pits. I do think i can get enough signal boost to cover the range of NHMS. I know my cell phone doesn't have the wifi range needed, so i'll have it go through the router to get to the pits.

I'll stop cluttering this threat with my router talk though, i've been covering it in the live video threat in the photo/video section.

The app looks awesome though, and i'll probably be using it come october.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

any plans to make it available to iUsers?

at ECR, our iPhones worked flawlessly, the non-apple / non-AT&T phones barely worked.

i'm blaming the network, not the equipment....but working is working, and not-working is useless.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

8 (edited by bongle 2012-06-06 07:06 AM)

psychoboy wrote:

at ECR, our iPhones worked flawlessly, the non-apple / non-AT&T phones barely worked.

i'm blaming the network, not the equipment....but working is working, and not-working is useless.

Since it uses the wifi router to do data transmission, coverage shouldn't be an issue.  You just need the router, phone, and laptop.

I don't currently have plans to do an iVersion - I don't have objective-C skills, a mac, or an apple developer account.  And now that I have no future revenue prospects, making those capital investments isn't looking attractive.  I may open-source it if I get the time and git skills, then someone could cough up a port.

And although they're just optional features, the iPhone's method of interfacing with stuff like external OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs is either different or nonexistent, so a port would be noticeably worse than the android version.

bongle wrote:
psychoboy wrote:

Since it uses the wifi router to do data transmission, coverage shouldn't be an issue.  You just need the router, phone, and laptop.

I don't currently have plans to do an iVersion - I don't have objective-C skills, a mac, or an apple developer account.  And now that I have no future revenue prospects, making those capital investments isn't looking attractive.  I may open-source it if I get the time and git skills, then someone could cough up a port.

And although they're just optional features, the iPhone's method of interfacing with stuff like external OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs is either different or nonexistent, so a port would be noticeably worse than the android version.

Yeah, Apple asks for a portion of your soul to interact with any of their i-Anything hardware unless you jailbreak the device.

2011 LA-#53 300zx, 10 OA/3 B; 2012 RHoNJ-Guest Outlaw! #115 Parnelli Jones Galaxie; LA-#53 300zx, 15 OA/5 B; HH-#53 300zx KERBLOOIE!!!; 2013 TGTN-#53 300zx, 30 OA/4 B; LA-#86 golf, 32 OA/7 B; HH-#53 300zx; 2014 HH-#53 300zx
2017 HH-Squidrope #847 BATMOBILE, 9 laps of DOMINATION then Screwed; 2019 HH-#847 batmobile, 42 OA; 2021 Thompson-#847 batmobile, 12 OA;  HH-got Corked (#491 Miata), 72 OA

This sounds fantastic.

If we choose not to set up the router, will the phone just log data to the SD card all day, and we can download it later?

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

11 (edited by bongle 2012-06-06 12:22 PM)

mike944 wrote:

This sounds fantastic.

If we choose not to set up the router, will the phone just log data to the SD card all day, and we can download it later?

Yep.  My buddies with the Samsung phone failed to transmit for 13.25 hours (which was no different than not setting it up in the first place), and it worked fine*.  You can export the .wflp DB to the pitside app for later viewing either via an SD card or via direct wifi transfer when you get near your computer.  Their DB after 14 hours of 10hz GPS and ~50hz accelerometer data was 150mb, so it's totally manageable even on most phone's internal storage.

*It actually crashed after 3.5 hours both days, but I've fixed that bug now and tested up to 15 hours, so I'm going to call the non-wifi behaviour fine.

Another important point is that even if you don't have a wifi router, as long as _someone_ at the track brought one and set it up, you could use that.  I brought a router to Shannonville, and at one point we had Slimer, Johnda, and Bytown all transmitting through it.

LeMons-inspired technology development. We're like NASA (the space guys)!

fair enough, i sorta figured as much.

i guess, since it's not using much in the way of service, i could find any halfassed/partially broken android and run it as a dedicated unit (as much as i like harry's lap timer, taping my only means of communication to the car for 14 hours is a little annoying).

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

14 (edited by bongle 2012-06-06 10:07 AM)

psychoboy wrote:

fair enough, i sorta figured as much.

i guess, since it's not using much in the way of service, i could find any halfassed/partially broken android and run it as a dedicated unit (as much as i like harry's lap timer, taping my only means of communication to the car for 14 hours is a little annoying).

The phone I use is a $100 motorola droid I got off amazon.  Unlocked, no data (or voice or text) plan, has been tested in a race car, slide-out keyboard, no phone plan, the GPS works, it's fantastic (albeit a bit old).
Link: Amazon

The only other problem other than the oldness is it bugs me to sign up with Verizon whenever I completely power it off and on again.  But it's a single button-press to exit that screen.

Well played!

The only fault I see with this approach, is that you assumed these vehicles are all 1996 and newer (e.g. OBDII).  tongue

Joking aside, I'm very impressed with the app.  I've dabbled around a little with Android development, but my hatred for all things java has prevented me from getting too deep into it. 

I will be playing around with your app at Autobahn / Showroom Schlock this weekend in our 1995 (OBDI - HA!) Celica.  I'll be running it in stand alone mode with internal GPS and no WiFi router and let you know what the results are.  Curious to see the accuracy of the stock (1Hz?) GPS.

The Pentastar whisperer

16 (edited by bongle 2012-06-06 10:22 AM)

Bayley wrote:

Well played!

The only fault I see with this approach, is that you assumed these vehicles are all 1996 and newer (e.g. OBDII).  tongue

Joking aside, I'm very impressed with the app.  I've dabbled around a little with Android development, but my hatred for all things java has prevented me from getting too deep into it. 

I will be playing around with your app at Autobahn / Showroom Schlock this weekend in our 1995 (OBDI - HA!) Celica.  I'll be running it in stand alone mode with internal GPS and no WiFi router and let you know what the results are.  Curious to see the accuracy of the stock (1Hz?) GPS.

You could always pick up an IOIO and manually wire in sensors for pre-OBD2 cars.  I've tested the IOIO stuff, but I'm so hurting with electricity that I broke my board about a week after getting it.  Other people in the "open-source data" thread were thinking getting an arduino, hooking up car sensors, and emulating a bluetooth OBD2 reader and connecting that way.

The stock GPS on almost all phones is 1hz, and the accuracy (at least for my motorola) is pretty solid.  You can tell what side of the track you're on.  For maximum laptiming accuracy, you'll want to put your start/finish line where your car isn't accelerating quickly, so at the end of a straight before the braking zone is best.

You can see the smoothness of a 1hz trace in this old summary page from when I was testing it on my bike:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8021/7102383527_070556e27b_z.jpg

Just downloaded it, cant wait to use it at Buttonwillow and see if it'll go 24 hours with a Qstar 10hz unit!

I would've paid $20 for this app smile

Strand83 wrote:

Just downloaded it, cant wait to use it at Buttonwillow and see if it'll go 24 hours with a Qstar 10hz unit!

I'd accept $20 for this app smile
I may make a "donate" version that'll be identical except for costing $5 in case people want to throw me some beer money.

The QStarz unit is a bit annoying - by default, it doesn't send all the GPS data I need (it's missing velocity) - you need to download GPSView from the QStarz site and configure it to send the VTG info.  I made a how-to for that here: https://sites.google.com/site/wifilappe … tarz-setup

Quick question, is there anyway to "store" a race track and then pull it up the following morning?  Would be nice to setup the track during test-&-tune and then have it all set to go on race day.

The Pentastar whisperer

20 (edited by bongle 2012-06-06 12:48 PM)

Bayley wrote:

Quick question, is there anyway to "store" a race track and then pull it up the following morning?  Would be nice to setup the track during test-&-tune and then have it all set to go on race day.

Yep - start a race, track walk while tapping for your splits and start/finish, then end the race (menu->quit or the back button).

Next morning, go to the load-race screen and long-press the race you created (it'll have a track map icon, which I think looks pretty swell).  Choose "resume".  Or if it's a multi-race format, you can choose "new race, same splits".  It'll even remember your best lap from the previous session so your ringer driver's prestige can carry over day to day.

bongle wrote:
Strand83 wrote:

I may make a "donate" version that'll be identical except for costing $5 in case people want to throw me some beer money.

If most people are willing to pay you, why not cut out the middleman (google store) and post up your paypal email address here?
The folks could even send you money via personal payments (Money owed).
-g

I'm going to the track this Friday and will be sure to play with this program.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Another thing to mention - for those guys who want to try it out, if you enter test mode (options menu), it'll do 20-second fake laps and give you an idea of how it operates without you having to do sketchy laps of your neighbourhood.  I have scared many a neighbourhood kid on my bike as I did testing laps: "hey mister, why do you keep coming by?"  "for science!"

23 (edited by ppressle 2012-06-06 06:14 PM)

Wow.  I think I need to go buy an android phone to actually play with this. 

The bare minimum I would need to set this up for an event is:
1. an android phone,
2, power to the phone for 24 hours,
3. this application installed

No need to actually activate the phone? 

Upgrades would be the better gps, arduino integration with the instrumentation, and a router base station?  But those will need to come later.

Pete

And yes, you need some way where folks can shoot you some beer $ if they like it...

24 (edited by bongle 2012-06-06 07:14 PM)

ppressle wrote:

1. an android phone,
2, power to the phone for 24 hours,
3. this application installed

No need to actually activate the phone?

Correct.  Don't forget a real mount for the phone.  It's difficult to macguyver up a mount that is safe for your phone and still visible to the driver.  In a pinch, a team ran my phone with zipties and double-sided tape, but it's better to have a $20 mount setup: part 1/part 2

I use this $100 phone for development, and it has been raced: link.  It bugs you to activate with Verizon, but that's fully ignorable by clicking the back button when the screen comes up.  The GPS (1hz) works, and the bluetooth has worked with the expansions (OBD2/10hz GPS) I support.

Warning on phones: Some phones are locked so you can't use GPS unless it has a data plan.  If you go buy one off craigslist (a mostly-fine method of getting one), make sure you test GPS first before you hand over cash.  I actually started developing this laptiming code in fall 2010, but I got a test phone locked to our local evil carrier, and didn't feel like dropping another couple hundred bucks to get one that worked, so stuff was delayed for a year until my chumpcar-racing friend got a phone with working GPS and I could do some testing.  The motorola I linked above has working GPS without a data plan.

Edit: It's too bad  for this weekend that 1930s-era aircraft engines don't have OBD2...

bongle wrote:

The QStarz unit is a bit annoying - by default, it doesn't send all the GPS data I need (it's missing velocity) - you need to download GPSView from the QStarz site and configure it to send the VTG info.  I made a how-to for that here: https://sites.google.com/site/wifilappe … tarz-setup

I can paypal you $20, just let me know smile

For the Qstarz, I have yet to really test it out but I bought it to use with the Torque app. I just needed a better GPS location when I did 1/10th sec data logging as the app would dump multiple points on one spot when I brought the data into GIS. So with your app, if the Qstarz unit is active, does it not pull any data from the phone?