Topic: Extending control arms for more camber

So I think quite a few people are doing this.  Any tips?  It seems like a simple enough concept to just cut the front control arms (one per corner on rx7) and then just weld in a extension of three inches or so.

Pics?  Advice? 

We need camber baaaad. (already slotted shock towers)

Thanks!

ES-CAR-GO 1st gen rx-7 ( formerly Maz-Stache)
Real Hoopties 2012
Capital Offense 2012

Re: Extending control arms for more camber

I have no idea what the underside of a RX looks like but the car we have uses a 1 bushing lower control arm, move the mount hole for that bushing outward.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

3 (edited by Spinnetti 2012-06-23 06:54 PM)

alex3000 wrote:

So I think quite a few people are doing this.  Any tips?  It seems like a simple enough concept to just cut the front control arms (one per corner on rx7) and then just weld in a extension of three inches or so.

Pics?  Advice? 

We need camber baaaad. (already slotted shock towers)

Thanks!

Sure. Cut, extend, weld, reinforce. Will probably need to do same on tie rod end though. Even Toyota did that to factory parts (TRD) back in the day.... I have some.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

3"? really, thats a bit much.

vwdmc16 wrote:

3"? really, thats a bit much.

Oh, yeah?  (Not my car.  Not my style, either.)

http://www.tsg.cc/user/tuned/civic-ed3/bosozoku_socal_civic_ed3_017.jpg

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

We were thinking about making some trick control arms, then we just slotted the struts instead.  Worked great.  Didn't even have to mess with the towers, not that there was any room in there anyway.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

I shouldn't be telling you this... It is our "secret weapon"!

On a first gen, you can usually just drill another hole further out in teh crossmember where the arm bolts on.  You just need an inch or so.

That's what we did with our 555 car (1st gen RX7).

Rob R.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

wvumtnbkr wrote:

I shouldn't be telling you this... It is our "secret weapon"!

On a first gen, you can usually just drill another hole further out in teh crossmember where the arm bolts on.  You just need an inch or so.

That's what we did with our 555 car (1st gen RX7).

Rob R.

Quoted for genius! (although team inifinni wrote it first) This seems like a much easier solution.  Thanks!

ES-CAR-GO 1st gen rx-7 ( formerly Maz-Stache)
Real Hoopties 2012
Capital Offense 2012

Whatever you do, do it well, there are serious loads through suspension points and stuff breaks, especially on the racetrack.   I don't want those mods failing on track.

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

We have homemade spacers that are like this:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/Performance-West/242%20Ghetto%20Test%20Bed/IMG_3871.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/Performance-West/242%20Ghetto%20Test%20Bed/IMG_3873.jpg

That much offset of the ball joint, plus the strut mount pushed all the way in (factory camber adjustment on the volvo 240), plus slotting the holes further, got us -3 degrees.  Normally with just the mod to the strut tower, we might get -1.5.  the inner tie rods were cut and extended too.

we didn't box the control arms til before the race about a week ago. no issues in 6 prior races like that with the wider front track.  however, I have seen a rusty control arm crack and fail on a 240, so if you have stamped control arms like this, box them and inspect for cracks.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!