Topic: To whoever PITed me...

... Just before Bus Stop around 5AM, please come sign the tire mark you left on the 33 Volvo wagon. It was a wild ride into the dirt!

imMobile 1 Racing -  '86 Porche-ish 944T

Re: To whoever PITed me...

What?! You're not running the Sonett? <insert disappointed smiley>

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

That implies the Sonett was running! smile All seriousness aside, we only had 5 drivers, 2 of which would not fit in the Sonett, so Steve decided to bring the wagon. We ran all race and everyone had a good time. Still curious as to how I swapped ends into the dirt, pretty sure I had help in the matter.

I think that happened right behind me.  I couldn't quite figure out how the volvo lost it right there.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

5 (edited by RA Jolo 2012-07-02 09:36 AM)

Ahhh, OK. That was the (formerly?) Swedish Bobsled Team Volvo Wagon, wasn't it?

Yeah, that was me in the Z32 submarine. Sorry about that. I certainly didn't mean to send you off and felt bad about doing so.

If you have the car at Thunderhill, I'll come sign my work....

Jolo

6 (edited by MrEntropy 2012-07-02 01:12 PM)

RA Jolo wrote:

Ahhh, OK. That was the (formerly?) Swedish Bobsled Team Volvo Wagon, wasn't it?

Yeah, that was me in the Z32 submarine. Sorry about that. I certainly didn't mean to send you off and felt bad about doing so.

If you have the car at Thunderhill, I'll come sign my work....

Jolo

*edited for all iPhone typos*

Yes, the former Swedish Bobsled Volvo Wagon. I believe you guys also took off our right hand mirror on the back straight. I must have really done something to piss you off wink. No worries, no big penalty for us, just a forced driver change. I was mostly bummed by being sat down ( and the possibility of my black flag free race vaporized.) I'm sure it was a good show, no harm done. Thanks for owning up. I don't think I personally will be at Thunderhill, but I'm sure Steve would be happy to accept your John Hancock.

Out of curiosity, how did it happen from your perspective? Did I do something particularly asshat like or unexpected? Looking to learn from it.

7 (edited by RA Jolo 2012-07-02 01:56 PM)

Not sure exactly where our contact was. I remember it being in the Truck Stop and figure you apex-ed on the right and then were tracking out before Riverside. I must have gambled on you not tracking out all the way. But, maybe it was the bus stop, in which case I must have been trying to sneak past on the inside and expected you to not apex. In either case, pretty similar: I was where you wanted to be. I tried to slow once it was clear I made a bad decision, but was too far in to eliminate contact.

To me, it wasn't really unexpected, but was typical "all-fault" Lemons contact: I took a chance that you would leave room and you took a chance that I wouldn't be where you wanted to be (or you didn't see me). Anyway, I should have been less aggressive and waited for the straight.

I'm not sure our camera was recording, but if it was, I'll send you the clip.

The mirror incident wasn't me, but it may have been our car. I don't think the bobsled wagon has ever stood out for being anything but cool (and maybe loud), so I don't think anyone had it out for your mirror. We once gained a mirror in a race at Infineon. It was like the other just car drove right up to us and deposited his mirror in our passenger window, kinda like a layup. It was pretty sweet on the in-car video.

FWIW, I've raced against the sub twice now and both times I would rate it near the top of the category of cars I would deem being very aggressive/taking big risks.  Eyesore, the Cerveza and MTGT once again showed me that it's possible to make clean drama free passes in these races.  I think the punk BMW was another of the fast cars being driven well.  I appreciate having those guys out there and give them extra room as a token of my respect.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

9 (edited by X-args 2012-07-02 02:58 PM)

cheseroo wrote:

FWIW, I've raced against the sub twice now and both times I would rate it near the top of the category of cars I would deem being very aggressive/taking big risks.  Eyesore, the Cerveza and MTGT once again showed me that it's possible to make clean drama free passes in these races.  I think the punk BMW was another of the fast cars being driven well.  I appreciate having those guys out there and give them extra room as a token of my respect.

I'll second that. I was in the Judgebusters E30 and it was a little frustrating with the knowledge that the sub would do some hairball move if I got too close, and it's fast enough in a straight line that once past I would have to really hammer it for a few laps to make sure there was traffic between us or prepare to tussle all over again.

I agree on the Eyesore/Cerveza/MTGT: Plenty of room, they telegraph their intent well ahead of time, then proceed to F* off to the next corner.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

10 (edited by Maiden USA 2012-07-02 03:59 PM)

Seemed the Rockstar Supra was a bit aggressive as well....must be the buzz lol....though we felt bad when they got creamed by the bimmer later.....nobody wants to see that kind of impact out there.

Judgebusters....I drive for the IROC Maiden team....had fun racing with your driver on the sunset shift.....we were trying to save the car all day as it was running hot temps (had to pull out with only 25lbs oil pressure and falling at hour 21) but we could race hard for 3 or 4 laps and then had to cruise for 3 to get temps back below 240-250 on oil\water\and trans....enjoyed the head to head with ya.....

Lots of fun out there......we are getting our seat time......we try to race hard but safe hope we didn't get too aggresive on anyone....I know I got rear ended pretty hard checking up for the only second gear corner on the track....turn 3 I believe.....but hey...that's racin'!

THAT's what that was. I was wondering why you suddenly backed off.

Yep, that was a fun dice- it was a little tricky close to sunset with all the glare, but a great race overall.
Glad you enjoyed it too, I thought we were giving each other just enough wiggle room...

Maiden USA wrote:

Seemed the Rockstar Supra was a bit aggressive as well....must be the buzz lol....though we felt bad when they got creamed by the bimmer later.....nobody wants to see that kind of impact out there.

Judgebusters....I drive for the IROC Maiden team....had fun racing with your driver on the sunset shift.....we were trying to save the car all day as it was running hot temps (had to pull out with only 25lbs oil pressure and falling at hour 21) but we could race hard for 3 or 4 laps and then had to cruise for 3 to get temps back below 240-250 on oil\water\and trans....enjoyed the head to head with ya.....

Lots of fun out there......we are getting our seat time......we try to race hard but safe hope we didn't get too aggresive on anyone....I know I got rear ended pretty hard checking up for the only second gear corner on the track....turn 3 I believe.....but hey...that's racin'!

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

X-args wrote:

I'll second that. I was in the Judgebusters E30 and it was a little frustrating with the knowledge that the sub would do some hairball move if I got too close, and it's fast enough in a straight line that once past I would have to really hammer it for a few laps to make sure there was traffic between us or prepare to tussle all over again.

Thirded. Like you said, the tough part was that it had good power so it was hard to get past on the straights.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Maiden USA wrote:

Seemed the Rockstar Supra was a bit aggressive as well....must be the buzz lol...=

It wears off, heh. https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/394621_333580456727859_82696307_n.jpg

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:
X-args wrote:

Thirded. Like you said, the tough part was that it had good power so it was hard to get past on the straights.

fourthed, I'd-a-liked to donuted them more than once, but you'd never notice it on the grey paint. They made WAY too many low-percentage moves during the midnight-to-two stint.

RaJolo. I was driving the Lemonlimo titanic and hit you in the last  hour .
SORRY
I was going full boogie cruise came off limo at 9am

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

LTDScott wrote:
X-args wrote:

I didn't see the sub do anything crazy but many times, it blocked me from passing when clearly the shark was the faster car. As for hairball moves, many of the shark's scars come from self-inflicted asshattery. Around 8.30AM, after our turbo popped its clogs and we were no longer in the mid 20s, I went out just to have some fun and push it. Wound up pinching myself between two cars coming out of bus stop. Almost made it but I got a love tap from behind which put me right in the dirt backwards!

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

17 (edited by Banned wagon 2012-07-03 10:42 AM)

fabtoys wrote:

RaJolo. I was driving the Lemonlimo titanic and hit you in the last  hour .
SORRY
I was going full boogie cruise came off limo at 9am

HAHA I was driving the Z32 Sub at that time!! Awesome!! i got hit buy the limo! oh and I am a compete newbie to the car and racetrack and was probably all over the track. so if you got out there and the sub was not being aggressive and taking a "Line" that made you scratch you had and yell where the hell ya goin? I was probably in the car at the time.. Sub is awesome car this driver not so much..

I had to make several violent jinks, sometimes off track, to avoid being creamed by the Submarine 300ZX.  They were way too aggressive, in really shitty spots.  Not a team I would want to be on track with ever again.  Please stay away from my car on track in the future.  I would have gladly pointed you by moments after you ran me off the road in order not to hit that car.  You guys are doing it wrong, and it's only a matter of time that you try and pull some of that crap with a team that either doesn't see you coming, or doesn't have a problem trading paint.  It's not a good long-term strategy.

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

Where is the peoples curse when you really NEED it??

I'm seriously concerned by the last couple of races and the stories of overly aggressive driving and excessive contact.

We have team members that are not highly experienced race drivers and the last thing I want to see is one of them shaken up or injured by someone being an asshat on the track.

We do this for fun and when it stops being fun we won't be back. The reports from the most recent races don't sound to fun to me.

20 (edited by Mulry 2012-07-03 05:53 AM)

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that if you report  @#!*%  driving to the penalty box in a polite and not hot-headed way, that message will likely get transmitted up to race control and they'll start keeping a particular eye on that car via the corner workers, which could then result in some hot black flag action if the car is seen to be driving in said  @#!*%  fashion. Just FYI.

PS When did we turn on an obscenity converter? The converted word I was using started with a synonym for donkey or the thing that you sit on and ended in hat. Donkey-hat. Funny.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

21 (edited by RA Jolo 2012-07-03 07:21 AM)

X-args wrote:

the sub would do some hairball move if I got too close

TeamPettyCash wrote:

I had to make several violent jinks, sometimes off track, to avoid being creamed by the Submarine 300ZX.... It's not a good long-term strategy.

I agree it not a good long-term strategy and I'm working to move the team in a direction that would prevent this type of reaction. The last thing I want is to be "doing it wrong." As mentioned, our car shouldn't need to participate in such ass-clownery, especially on a track with a long straight like Buttonwillow's. I made a bad decision that started this thread, but before I even contacted the Volvo I knew it was an outlier among what I'll try on track. During the rest of my stint, I tried to keep myself out of such situations.

I would like to make sure the rest of our drivers recognize and avoid those situations, as well. As on many teams, we have a mix of drivers with a mix of experience. Constructive feedback will help illustrate to our guys what's wrong. PM me if you can provide some specifics on an incident so I can figure out who was being an asshat and deal with it.

I've definitely been on the receiving end of bad and aggressive driving and would rather not have my car be on the giving end of that transaction. Sorry for making the race worse, it's definitely not our intent.

Mulry wrote:

PS When did we turn on an obscenity converter? The converted word I was using started with a synonym for donkey or the thing that you sit on and ended in hat. Donkey-hat. Funny.

The "sensor specific words" feature isn't turned on. Just checked to make sure. I have no idea how that substitution happened.

RA Jolo wrote:

I've definitely been on the receiving end of bad and aggressive driving and would rather not have my car be on the giving end of that transaction. Sorry for making the race worse, it's definitely not our intent.

Thanks for your good attitude.  Once I get some video edited I'll send you a link.  Cheers.

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

24 (edited by jimeby 2012-07-03 07:09 PM)

Back to the 33 Volvo which I found very annoying around 1am... I caught, then attempted to pass that car between On Ramp and Cotton Corners at which time they decide to race me two wide into Cotton Corners and use slower traffic as a pik to keep be back. They then proceeded to run two wide through Cotton Corners with whoever was ahead of me. Having well enough of that foolishness I hung back til I got to the Dragstrip where I could soundly put that accident waiting to happen far behind me. So, when I discovered which car was complaining about being punted, my reaction went something like; "gosh, *big* surprise there..."
Dude, if you're not like 3 laps from the finish and a car easily catches you and then pulls out to pass... just let them go. In the overall scheme of things you loose less time than if you make it hard for them to proceed on their (faster) way, piss them off, make them take a risk and end up either punting you on purpose or by accident.
Jim - 666 Camaro 12:30 am - 2 am.

2014 national driving champion.
Retired from all race driving.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/dirty-funny-humor-24.jpg?w=500

i can't believe i got rear ended buy the titanic limo. (dam i suck) how did that happen ?