1 (edited by fleming95 2013-11-30 02:26 PM)

Topic: What 'creative reuse' of stuff around the house gets you in trouble?

So, I'm here prepping for Sonoma by making curtains for the racetruck (hey, it's probably 75 and sunny, and we'll need the shade smile ), and realized that there are some curtains here in the house I'd really like to see. . . elsewhere.

However, even if I promise to bring them back (ha!), I'd be sleeping in the racetruck if I used them, even if they look like an octopus crawled through six colors of paint and then got put through a tie-dye machine.

Stories?

(Bonus points if the story includes the S.O. saying 'hey, that's my (fill in the blank)' at the race!)

-Jeff

Re: What 'creative reuse' of stuff around the house gets you in trouble?

You mean like using the dishwasher to clean SU carburetors or baking out brake pads in the toaster oven?  I've gotten busted on both of those.

snuffy wrote:

You mean like using the dishwasher to clean SU carburetors or baking out brake pads in the toaster oven?  I've gotten busted on both of those.

Who hasn't!  Baking or freezing bearings is another one I just make sure the wife is gone for.

I think he means things that end up on the car or drivers as theme.

This is a good one.

- Anything slated for "shop use" just never comes back (scissors, laptops, every singe flashlight I've ever owned etc)
- As previously mentioned, toaster ovens for various projects
- Cookie sheets for mixing body puddy and or last minute drip pans
- Misc towels lost after I accidently spilled something or wiped my greasy hands on it (we now have a "shop" towel")

• The oven, for drying paint in winter and for a failed attempt at softening and forming lexan.

• The stove, for boiling carburetors

• The sink, obvious, but mostly for non-greasy parts, like lights and lenses.

• The kitchen counter has become something of a lab for electronics and carburetors. One side of the cutting board is for food, the other for projects. I forget which side is for which.

• My scissors are encrusted with fiberglass resin

we took the electric turkey carving knife out to the garage to cut foam for fiberglass molds, posted a photo of our handiwork on FB, and shortly thereafter heard an angry wife yelling "Hey that's my...."

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

snuffy wrote:

I used to clean parts this way for years when I lived in an extended stay hotel.   Guys would laugh when coming over for a beer and I'd pull out  some engine part.

I refuse to incriminate myself.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

The pistons were frozen in the block of the Imp and weeks of immersion in penetrate and pounding did nothing to free them up.  I was alone at the house eyeing the oven one day and thought this might be a good idea.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii80/cheseroo/Imp/Block_zps2f01b99d.jpg

30 minutes later I went back into the kitchen to find this.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii80/cheseroo/Imp/Block1_zps497ddadb.jpg

A few hours of open windows and fans (in winter) reduced the smell to the point where the project manager just casually asked if I was working on the car earlier.  The phrasing of the question allowed me to honestly answer yes.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I was cleaning/refurbishing the intercooler on my Grand National many many years ago when I still lived with my folks, and I threw it in the oven on bake to dry out all the water and solvent (it will never dry out otherwise).  Much to the chagrin of my mother who came home and began to prepare dinner only to find an intercooler meeting her in the oven when she went to put in the chicken.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I've used the oven to heat timing gears so that I could get them back on easier. Being single means not having to worry about disapproval.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I've used the toaster oven bake bearings for a muncie SM465 rebuild.
and for drying dessicant for the gun safe.

I've got my own toaster for the shop now.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

Drdanteiii wrote:

I've used the toaster oven bake bearings for a muncie SM465 rebuild.
and for drying dessicant for the gun safe.

I've got my own toaster for the shop now.

Let me guess, you shop toaster oven was originally your kitchen toaster oven...

Yesss....all these things. Soon, I'm getting my very own house......because of most of all this stuff....and more.... The Lemons forum needs a personals section......

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

SeldomSeen wrote:

Yesss.... The Lemons forum needs a personals section......

No fail possible with this plan!

Fritz

Dahlinboysracing W/Frankenphil  '11 Crown Royal Vic SPWV 73 '12 Tom Sellecka Toyota NJMP 75 SPWV 43 NHMS 65, '13  Toylaren Monticello 120, Daytona 102, SPWV  83 HF! NJMP 41 NHMS 48th '14 Fireball  Integra NJMP 24th NJMP 18th NHMS 90th '15 NJMP 54th Daytona 33RD SPWV 4th Thompson  79th CMP 13th '16 NJMP 43 Thompson 21 CMP 32nd NHMS 24 '17 FB Integra NJMP 68 Cledus Snow Eldorado IGS 118, NCM 24

16 (edited by BoB 2013-12-05 11:24 AM)

dahlinboysracing wrote:
SeldomSeen wrote:

Yesss.... The Lemons forum needs a personals section......

No fail possible with this plan!

Fritz

I'm sure the fact that there are probably like 5 single women involved with Lemons (totally made up that number) and I'm sure they are all smart enough to stay away from us idiots, won't cause any problems with the personals section.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

stupid wrenching male: likes long drives in slow cars, bad ideas, and usually smells like diesel. seeking semi conscious female with lots of money and/or patience to help my, er... his racing habit. must love bacon.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

tSoG wrote:

stupid wrenching male: likes long drives in slow cars, bad ideas, and usually smells like diesel. seeking semi conscious female with no fear of loud noises or fire, lots of money and/or patience to help my, er... his racing habit. must love bacon and men who wear their underwear on the outside.

FTFY

I haven't lit anything on fire or shot it repeatedly, in days

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

20 (edited by yukadas 2013-12-09 07:11 AM)

tSoG wrote:

I haven't lit anything on fire or shot it repeatedly, in days

I hope you get out of the hospital and recover quickly.

"He attacked everything in life with a mixture of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."   -Adams, Douglas.   The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

14x loser @ Gingerman, Autobahn, Summit Point, New Jersey, Road 'Merica, and Barber

21 (edited by fleming95 2014-03-19 01:03 AM)

fleming95 wrote:

So, I'm here prepping for Sonoma by making curtains for the racetruck...

<snip>

However, even if I promise to bring them back (ha!), I'd be sleeping in the racetruck if I used them, even if they look like an octopus crawled through six colors of paint and then got put through a tie-dye machine.

<snip>

-Jeff

Reviving my own thread, now I'm researching what yoga mats are made of, whether they're gasoline-resistant, and wondering how much I could cut off the bottom of one of them without being caught. . .

I have a friend that was caught by his wife now ex using the bath tub to clean and store transmission parts for his 82 200sx. She looked at him and asked is there parts in the tub, he was like ya why? Did not miss a beat straight faced and everything... It was classic.

Anyone can use a brake bleeder to vacuum seal food. 

http://i61.tinypic.com/40wnt.jpg

Speedy Monzales
- Organizers' Choice Dec 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas
- IOE May 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
woo hoo

I bought a $100 CL oven to learn how to powdercoat (still on the list of things to learn).  Why lug stuff all the way up and into the kitchen when you can cook your stuff in the comfort of your own garage?

I get in trouble when I wash my shop rags and work gloves in the washing machine.  Apparently the grease can linger in the machine and permeate clothes that are washed later.  Go figure.  I'm happy to wash my shop rags in the same load as my work clothes.

How about the reverse?  I bought an ultrasonic cleaner from a jeweler who was going out of business to clean injectors and small parts.  It keeps disappearing and being used to clean actual jewelry, go figure!

bs

25 (edited by hotdogwater 2014-03-20 10:27 AM)

Hell yea, rotors in the oven, bearings in the freezer.  Daughter was wondering if they were some new dessert I hadn't shown her yet.  Heat and cool works wonders, haven't had to buy a shop press yet.

Teamgravy Racing > join us please @ http://www.facebook.com/Teamgravy

IOE winner & 2nd place Class C - North Dallas Hooptie 2013
2nd place Class C - Gator-o-Rama 2013