Topic: Whats causing my brake rotor shudder?

We have been chasing our tails for the last few years trying to run down a solution, to no result. Fox-body Thunderbird.

Every race weekend, I put on a fresh set of front discs. This is not because I love buying brakes. By the end of the day Saturday, they're trashed. Translation: so much runout it will shake the rearview mirror off the car. I've tried upping the rotor diameter, from GT 10.5" to Cobra 13"s. Two different style wheel bearings, on two types of spindles, old fashioned repackable inner/outer & non-serviceable "sealed" hubs. Different brand rotors, cheapo auto store blanks and Raybestos top-o-the-line slotted. Even different pads. Porterfield R4-Es or Carbotech RP2s. Nothing changes. Even if I'm light on them, they're good for few hours, then its like a paint mixer.

One race, out of curiosity, we pulled the "warped" discs off, wire-wheeled the shit out of them and slapped them back on. They were just as bad as they came off.

I have not yet installed brake ducts; A) we're not experiencing any brake "fade" and B) because of that I figured they'd just clutter up the works.

What am I doing wrong? Am I doing a shitty job bedding the brakes? I can get 2-3 weekends out of set of front pads. Would ducting do anything to prevent my runout problem?

I am at a loss. On our old Camero, the tiny discs got next-to-no attention, got hammered on like a rented mule and never protested. What am I overlooking?

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

Re: Whats causing my brake rotor shudder?

Uneven pad deposits cause shudder. You need brake cooling. Bedding them in really well helps out too.

If they still have issues after brake cooling, then you'll want a better compound.

Brake cooling is one thing to add. Also try another brand of pad like Hawk or PFC.
Also what kind of caliper are you using. You mentioned different rotors, etc. but nothing on what caliper and it's mounts.
Fox Mustang use rubber bushings to hold the calipers. For track use those bushing have to be replaced with SS bushing.
Other calipers use other methods so that's why I asked.

I raced a 1993 Mustang Cobra and open tracked both a 1986 & 1992 Mustang so I know all the brake systems used on the Fox cars.

what pads are you using?

Pads: currently Carbotech RP2, previously Porterfield R4

Calipers are the floating twin piston PBRs from a 95 Cobra Mustang

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

We learned 2 things about brakes at our first race this past weekend in our heavyish Mercedes E Class.

1. Cooling ducts are a must
2. You have to brake properly. Late, hard, and short. If you start braking too early and just drag them they won't last.

And once a rotor is warped there is nothing you can do to fix it. Good luck!

I'd try the ST43's   our shudder went away when we switched from Carbotech to ST43

8 (edited by jiggermyster 2016-05-18 06:09 PM)

Did you actually measure runout and confirm it's warpage that's causing the shake?

As others have mentioned, uneven pad transfer usually causes the "warped rotor" feeling.

Another (less common)  thing is hard spots on the rotor. They'll leave a bump as rotor material erodes around them.

A wire brush isn't going to remove pad material. (ed: oops. You said wire wheel. A power wheel might get it done...)
Use 60 or 80 grit emery cloth and cross hatch the heck out of them. Rough them up good and get all the shine off.

...I'm guessing the uneven transfer comes from racing around getting the brakes all toasty, then stopping for a yellow, or traffic, or something. The melty hot pads sit in one spot on the rotor and leave a blob there.

We had the exact same experience with carbotechs; they bite awesome when the rotors are new, but unless you are running cheatonium rotors, they'll overheat and warp, leading to a terrifying shudder.   We even had brake ducts (albeit not the best). 

We switched to Porterfield R4E's and they'll last a few races (rotors, too).

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

10 (edited by Team Infinniti 2016-05-18 08:10 PM)

Beenthere, I can go on for several paragraphs detailing our learning curve through this issue but I simply do not have the energy to conjure all the details, bad memories not to mention people are likely tired of hearing it again
We ran RP2 for  two years of hell then XP24 three yrs of love then in a pinch back to a old set of RP2. Even with a well developed proven package the problem immediately went back to hell.

Short story, you love those Rp2 pads, they work! they last! They stop like nothing else .................They are the issue............ if you heed this advice you will be free...

You are over-temping the compounds recommended,it is pad transfer, the brake guys do not understand what some of us are asking of their products, add cooling and ORDER XP24
then
literally throw out all old pads as to be never tempted to go back. Results will go from being intimate with the 5 gal paint shaker @ home depo to a casual stroll through a china shop.

Or give these guys a call, http://www.g-locbrakes.com/ tell them you want xp24 and they will give you their equivalent, apparently half of carbotech didn't get along with the other half and they split up, have yet to try em but their price was excellent in comparison.

Oh mention Infiniti it may help us both

Final straw was rotors with no run out that shook so bad the nut holding the valve to strut piston unscrewed.

Note: we have tried carbotech xp8 xp10 proterfield ST43 and ST47

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

11 (edited by Goofracer72 2016-05-18 08:05 PM)

It's most likely uneven transfer layer.  I would say run brake ducting and pick up a set of ST43 pads from porterfield.  We're 2 races in with them on the Cressida and they still have 75-80% life left. And they're easy on the rotors.  We got the car with Carbojunks....they had only been through half a race at that point.  At Thompson they were beginning to pulsate slightly by the end of the day Friday......By the end of the first stint on Saturday they were getting bad.  By Sunday they were terrible.  Switched to ST43s for NH and haven't had a problem yet.  We love em.

Q: Would an underperforming/undersized brake master cyl cause this issue?

I read an article once about upgrade options for fox body tbirds and remember seeing something about needing a larger master cyl when you upgrade calipers. Since you mentioned already having upgraded to calipers for 13" rotors, is the master cyl sized appropriately?

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:

I read an article once about upgrade options for fox body tbirds and remember seeing something about needing a larger master cyl when you upgrade calipers. Since you mentioned already having upgraded to calipers for 13" rotors, is the master cyl sized appropriately?

A undersized master would likely manifest as extended pedal travel/different amount of leg needed to push

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Team Infinniti wrote:
gunn wrote:

A undersized master would likely manifest as extended pedal travel/different amount of leg needed to push

What he said.

15 (edited by dale.furno 2016-05-18 11:43 PM)

Consider swapping out your caliper mounting brackets and see if there is a change. a small bend can make a big difference.

The Super G-Rover has willwood calipers Up front with Chevy Astro van rotors.
By the last stint at NJMP the rotor warp was pushing back the pads so far, the initial pedal push had no pressure.
The second pedal push sent you through the windshield.
Our calipers were contacting the rotor edge when hot, destroying the caliper. the growth from heat was incredible!
Ducting and clearancing the calipers my be our fix.
Just letting you know,
You are not alone.

I think we are to the stage on our e30 where were are just going to plan on front rotors only lasting a day.  They are fine for a day then shutter like crazy if we run them longer than that.  At $40-50 a pair, I'm not sure going to a more expensive pad that may still have the same issues makes sense.  We are running the R4E pads and the fronts have finally worn to the point of needing replacement after three races so on that we are happy.  If rotors are just a consumable like tires, then so be it.  $150 in average consumable brake components per race isn't exactly hurtful.

-Sandow

CPB wrote:

Uneven pad deposits cause shudder. You need brake cooling. Bedding them in really well helps out too.

If they still have issues after brake cooling, then you'll want a better compound.

I'll also add that the uneven pad wear/heat can also eat the rotor unevenly making this issue compounded, no pun intended. I went through numerous rotors and pad combinations before finally adding ducting to my track car.

You end up with a pad that is overheating, but unevenly. That is eating the rotor, unevenly. So it just gets worse and worse.

19 (edited by gtopat 2016-05-19 01:24 PM)

Sandow wrote:

I think we are to the stage on our e30 where were are just going to plan on front rotors only lasting a day.  They are fine for a day then shutter like crazy if we run them longer than that.  At $40-50 a pair, I'm not sure going to a more expensive pad that may still have the same issues makes sense.  We are running the R4E pads and the fronts have finally worn to the point of needing replacement after three races so on that we are happy.  If rotors are just a consumable like tires, then so be it.  $150 in average consumable brake components per race isn't exactly hurtful.

-Sandow

This is what we have been doing for a while now. Its gotten old. I think part of my frustration is I hadn't been able to establish what the underlying issue is.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Looks like I'm gonna switch compounds and add some ducting. I'm looking at the ST43 and XP24s.
I always knew the ducting prevented fade from overheating, but it makes sense it would help inconsistent pad transfer from the same overheating.
The 'bird is parked until CMP this fall; if anything is gonna test brakes, it'll be CMP. I'll report back with what we find.

-Pat

Interceptor Motorsports

I've done the ct xp24's...my suggestion is try the st43 first

This is sadly hard to answer. There are a number of variables the make a big difference that we don't have info on yet.

I assume from the way you talk about this that at the start of the race there is ZERO problem. The brakes work well and have no issues. None?

Once they get hot does it get worse? As they cool off a little does it stay worse? Does cooling off and heating up again make it worse still?

Are you having any issues with signs of too much heat in the pads or are you boiling fluid?

I think that it is indeed worthwhile to look for other signs of problems up front. Look for subtle damage and work at getting some extra cooling up there to help take that variable out of the list of possible problems.

This may be as simple as overheating the rotors and needing better cooling or more thermal mass.

Daniel Sycks

Another vote for pad deposits causing the problem. Even with ducting our team MX3s had this issue with Carbotech pads (small OE rotors and calipers). ST43 pads not only minimized the problem but last longer also with no loss of braking power.

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

@ NSF Racing - Billy causes our brakes to shudder.

This space for rent.

Figured I'd post an update since I used most of your suggestions at CMP a couple weeks ago. I went for broke, fashioned a set of brake ducts and ordered some XP24s. Spent some time on the highway on Friday to make sure they were properly bedded. The result was smooth, consistent braking all weekend long and more than enough pad/rotor to go at least another weekend.

While I'm not sure how much can be attributed to each the ducts and/or compound, I'm happy to report our issue seems sorted for now. If they can survive in a big heavy car at CMP...

I went with the XP24s over the ST43s only because I had a credit with Carbotech that made them cheaper this time around. I'll continue the experiment with the Raybestos' only because the XP24s are so damn expensive, but I'm excited I have a combination that works. Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.

Interceptor Motorsports

gtopat wrote:

Figured I'd post an update since I used most of your suggestions at CMP a couple weeks ago. I went for broke, fashioned a set of brake ducts and ordered some XP24s. Spent some time on the highway on Friday to make sure they were properly bedded. The result was smooth, consistent braking all weekend long and more than enough pad/rotor to go at least another weekend.

While I'm not sure how much can be attributed to each the ducts and/or compound, I'm happy to report our issue seems sorted for now. If they can survive in a big heavy car at CMP...

I went with the XP24s over the ST43s only because I had a credit with Carbotech that made them cheaper this time around. I'll continue the experiment with the Raybestos' only because the XP24s are so damn expensive, but I'm excited I have a combination that works. Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.

Excellent upgrades, saying that, the st 43 will do the same shutter thing, if you MUST go away from a combo that is now proven go right up to st47 to minimize the shake of your decision.

As stated earlier, we have already suffered through this and have won the fight.