Re: What can be done to make Lemons more attractive to spectators?

ninjacoco wrote:

I'd watch the crap out of NSF

(Especially if someone bribed Phil with psychedelic mushrooms.)

Come to CMP.  Bring that fire-suit you aren't allowed to wear...

This space for rent.

It's way to expensive, $30 for a spectator?  Most of my family and friends would only want ta stay for a couple hours. $10 would be respectable.

Except that's a 3 day all access pit and paddock pass under the course and event's liability insurance.

So technically it's $10 a day.

It was nice when they had Day Passes a few years ago.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

Except that's a 3 day all access pit and paddock pass under the course and event's liability insurance.

$30 is fine for people who are going to be there for all 3 days.    Most friends who want to stop by and check it out are only going to be there for 1 day or less.    $30 is a lot to come hang out for a few hours.

The day passes must have been more than a few years ago.    I've been doing this since 2011, and i don't remember day passes.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

mike944 wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

$30 is fine for people who are going to be there for all 3 days.    Most friends who want to stop by and check it out are only going to be there for 1 day or less.    $30 is a lot to come hang out for a few hours.

The day passes must have been more than a few years ago.    I've been doing this since 2011, and i don't remember day passes.

I started doing this in 2011 also and they had day passes the first few years I went. At least here in the Midwest.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

I don't know if it's the same at all tracks, but when we threw a Friday night party at MSR last year, I got the clarification from Nick that Friday-only spectators didn't have to pay anything. If they showed up on Friday and said they were leaving that night, all they had to do was sign the waiver. They paid nothing and didn't get a wristband.

SpaceFrank wrote:

I don't know if it's the same at all tracks, but when we threw a Friday night party at MSR last year, I got the clarification from Nick that Friday-only spectators didn't have to pay anything. If they showed up on Friday and said they were leaving that night, all they had to do was sign the waiver. They paid nothing and didn't get a wristband.

Definitely not.     We just ran at Thompson a few weeks ago.     Fri spectators had to pay the $30 too, and they got a Lemons wristband.    That surprised me.    I thought the Friday test days were always run by the track, not Lemons.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

After going to a 'Night of Destruction' at Irwindale speedway, I think A class leaders should have to pull camper trailers for the last hour of the race.

Front wheel drive cars should have to use skid plates.

And finally there should be a crossover point added to the track, similar to a figure eight.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

134 (edited by ninjacoco 2016-09-22 09:56 PM)

NSF wrote:
ninjacoco wrote:

I'd watch the crap out of NSF

(Especially if someone bribed Phil with psychedelic mushrooms.)

Come to CMP.  Bring that fire-suit you aren't allowed to wear...

But we had ze parsh in town that weekend, which makes it the best weekend of them all. Besides, I got chained to a desk in the media room so I wouldn't steal an LMP1. (I bet I'd fit in Jani's car. DIBSSSSSS.)

(Free Coco, though.)

135 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2016-10-05 09:17 AM)

Does SCCA or NASA have any more spectators than Lemons?  Chump, AER, WRL, etc?

Then answer is no, not really.

We all think our hobby is engaging and exciting, but it's about as engaging and exciting to non-participants as any other hobby or pastime is to non-participants.

Your friends (non-car-guys) dont care, your family pretends to care.  Anybody that really cares is already at the track.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

IgnoranteWest wrote:

We all think our hobby is engaging and exciting, but it's about as engaging and exciting to non-participants as any other hobby or pastime is to non-participants.

Your friends (non-car-guys) dont care, your family pretends to care.  Anybody that really cares is already at the track.

Sad, but pretty damn accurate.  Watching sucks,.  If I couldn't drive, I surely wouldn't want to go either.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
IgnoranteWest wrote:

Sad, but pretty damn accurate.  Watching sucks,.  If I couldn't drive, I surely wouldn't want to go either.

The only way to add spectators would be to sell beer or pot (no limit) and increase the level of violence, either in the stands or on the track. Spectators go to events for the same reason Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo, to get drunk and act like an ass. 'Merica!

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

It'd be better if we increased participants....not spectators..

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

139 (edited by m610 2016-10-26 10:27 AM)

Last weekend at the Sacramento car show (We were exhibiting some Lemons cars.) a dad and his three sons dropped by to tell me that they saw the show last year and because of it went to the December race at Sonoma. They then told me how much fun they had watching the start of the race, going to different sections of track to view the race from there, wandering the paddock watching teams try to fix their cars, returning to the stands to watch some more... They told me it was a load of fun and they planned to spectate at Arse-Freeze again in December. Their description of the weekend was oddly very much like what I wrote in a spectator's guide.

I had doodled up this spectator guide the night before. (I've since added the race schedule.) I made 100 copies to hand out and nearly all were gone by the end of the weekend.

Link: http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/24HO … tating.pdf

Mike

m610 wrote:

Last weekend at the Sacramento car show (We were exhibiting some Lemons cars.) a dad and his three sons dropped by to tell me that they saw the show last year and because of it went to the December race at Sonoma. They then told me how much fun they had watching the start of the race, going to different sections of track to view the race from there, wandering the paddock watching teams try to fix their cars, returning to the stands to watch some more... They told me it was a load of fun and they planned to spectate at Arse-Freeze again in December. Their description of the weekend was oddly very much like what I wrote in a spectator's guide.

I had doodled up this spectator guide the night before. (I've since added the race schedule.) I made 100 copies to hand out and nearly all were gone by the end of the weekend.

Mike

Great job!

Would it be ok to put that on our teams facebook page?

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

Do it. I've been sharing it widely, figuring the team might get a dinner out of it. wink

m610 wrote:

Mike

I like it...
I suggest that you add a Friday section....inspection/tech is a great thing to watch...and everyone is more relaxed on Friday, in general, so mingling with people/teams is more pleasant

I wanted to but was trying to keep it (the original guide) all on one page, and I had already shrank the margins and font.

Maybe I should go nuts and make a magaziney version.

m610 wrote:

I wanted to but was trying to keep it (the original guide) all on one page, and I had already shrank the margins and font.

Maybe I should go nuts and make a magaziney version.

If you go to a two-sized or bi-fold, consider more stupid Lemons pictures like a minivan racing an MR2 and an E30.

Or make it on a legal sized paper, two sided, or something you could fold in half....?
Keep up the good work!

Z

That's a......lot of words.

White space is your friend. Especially if you wan't anyone to read it that isn't acclimated to academic Journals.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

I know I'm late to this, but after reading all 6 pages I have to help reinforce the "leave it alone" point.
Seriously.
Leave shit the fuck alone.

We DO NOT need more spectators. AT FUCKING ALL. None of what we are doing matters. No one actually cares. We're not changing the world or revolutionizing racing. None of us are special. Adding idiots and children roaming wild eyed around the pits is an awful idea.

For those of you obsessed with class C, I encourage you to profitably run a race series on class C entries alone. Disposable income is not something that everyone has, and if you make the return on that expenditure too low, people will find other places to spend that money. Lemons has found a niche in providing great door to door racing value. If you want to meddle with that value for the sake of your preferences, you will lose that income. There really truly is a limiting factor in place: tires. Look at lap times accross the board. My stupid car, Cerveza, Eyesore, Southworst, Blowe's, etc. We all run within seconds of each other despite vastly different levels of HP and various chassis. We've created a limit with fuel capacity as well. Balancing HP, fuel burn, and pit stops is what makes a class A win possible. Driving well makes it happen.

Everyone has their own idea of fun. I'd rather work at McDonald's than build/race/deal with a class C car. It holds ZERO interest to me. I show up at the track to put gas in the shitbox, drink beer, and ride mini bikes. The S&S rule has been the single most detrimental thing to happen to Lemons in my mind. You want to have a fun environment to invite friends to? Ghost ride the Jeep. Let the 808 truck patrol the pits. Bring back Dave Montoya on his YZ80. That shit was entertaining. I don't give a fuck what kind of car it is, watching it go around in circles (road courses still start and end in the same spot, so it's a loop) is FUCKING BORING. Have you ever closed your eyes and listened at a race. The exhaust notes are a droning monotonous miserable tone. I really wish we ran at an 89db or lower limit, but I know that'll never fly.

For those of you who constantly evangelize the Lemons thing, I ask you, why? Do you need to be validated? If someone wants to race, they'll inquire.

Smokey Yunick, Jim Hall, Chad Knaus, and Me...

148 (edited by Guildenstern 2016-10-30 12:59 PM)

Lighten up, Francis.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/syV2LkGpQB0/hqdefault.jpg

Good posting

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

Jalopyshoppe wrote:

For those of you obsessed with class C, I encourage you to profitably run a race series on class C entries alone.
Everyone has their own idea of fun. I'd rather work at McDonald's than build/race/deal with a class C car. It holds ZERO interest to me.
For those of you who constantly evangelize the Lemons thing, I ask you, why? Do you need to be validated? If someone wants to race, they'll inquire.

Some of your post is well written but this goes against the grain of your claiming to each their own.  What you basically, in your own way, are "evangelizing" is what Chump and other "real racing" organizations are selling.  Is it possible that is what you are looking for?

Lemons is about real racing but is also about the absurd, ridiculous and improbable.  If you encourage Class C to seek their own race, you are missing at least 50% of what Jay encourages...and he runs his racing series profitably.

FYI I am one of the original posters that encouraged not encouraging more spectators.