Topic: how long should our "concept" submission be?

rookie team with a solid concept.

for the "concept" i wrote a synopsis.  my teammate turned it into a short story.

how much do the judges want to read?

i know that if someone submits a resume to me that's more than 2 pages long, i'm not likely to read it.  i want to make sure we have the best chance of getting accepted and not under or over-do it.

-milk

Re: how long should our "concept" submission be?

I think it depends for which race you are applying.  In Texas, there is no wait list.  What you write does not matter.  If there is a wait list, I suspect they may look at for creativity etc.  The right car will get you in regardless of what you write.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

However long it takes to show that you are a group of guys that Lemons HQ will want to hang with for a weekend.  I would think the story is better, especially if its funny.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

One word: Corvair

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

5 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-08-02 12:46 PM)

Since I run the team and come up with most of the hair brain stuff, nobody gets to see our theme as it is created. This year we added a Chuck to our team so I incorporated him into our theme. This was before he was fully on board and the names have not been changed to protect the innocent.

I think three people and the Russians know this exists.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is about a Northwestern family that struggles keeping the illusion of running a real racecar a secret. One evening at a dinner party Chuck Streeter and Misty Jungles go to a party to celebrate the success of the Jagvair, but their parents believe this is the last race for the couple. Throughout the evening Chuck and Misty deflect questions related to the future of the Jagvair and racing. Chuck and his father attempt to reconcile the driving responsibilities of the car, while Misty tries to corner Chuck about his NOS bottle addiction. Misty is jealous of the relationship Chuck has with the NOS distributor. At the peak of the evening, Chuck and Misty inform their parents that they are dying. The only thing keeping them alive is exhaust from the Jagvair that Chuck pumps into their room as they sleep. With the future of the Jagvair in limbo and Chuck and Misty’s parents aware of their mortality, other relatives position for the Streeter fortune. In desperation, Misty yells out, “I’ve bought another Corvair!” The family stunned by this admission, look to Chuck for his reaction. A coy smile stretches across his weather-beaten face as the thought of a two car race team churns in his mind. Misty and Chuck embrace and she whispers in his ear, “Maybe we can get that minivan I have always wanted.”

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix

CPT_Trans_Continental wrote:

--- “Maybe we can get that minivan I have always wanted.”

thanks CPT.  y'all have a sickness... the symptoms of which i am becoming more and more familiar.

milk wrote:

thanks CPT.  y'all have a sickness... the symptoms of which i am becoming more and more familiar.

Does anyone know where I can get a white slip in Grizzly Adams size?

milk wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a white slip in Grizzly Adams size?

Lane Bryant?  i don't know if they make em out of nomex, though.

.... thinking now that question may have been rhetorical.

I mean, a short book can't hurt. Send what you have.

Long enough to convey that you're a bunch of wanna be racers that get what's going on and will be fun to be around for the weekend. Short enough that they don't dread reading it.

Our first one was super creative, had a whole backstory to our theme, promised many amazing things. It was probably a few paragraphs. Now it just says "Hey, we're the same morons that thought a dodge daytona was a good idea." with a few more sentences than that.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Just try and join a legendary team as an add-on car. I did that under Three Pedal Mafia and never had to write a submission. Then again, I ran a 1968 Cortina with original 1.6L so I'm probably in the morons camp with theEngineer.   The right cars are their own theme.

Blackmaven MotorSports -  Supporting the United Leukodystrophy Foundation - www.ulf.org
FOR SALE! '68 Ford Cortina - BUY ME HERE!
'04 Mitsu in the works
BlackmavenMotorsports on Facebook

Just put a Post-It note on a box of Donuts.  Write, "My concept is a...........Oh look, Donuts!" on the Post-It note.

Done!

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

I think I had a friend who lives near Stuttgart write ours the first couple times. Hope you read German!

crashandburn wrote:

Just put a Post-It note on a box of Donuts.  Write, "My concept is a...........Oh look, Donuts!" on the Post-It note.

Done!

Love it.

They Call me RAD CARL -This is all i know

The wheel man?  Change that to Goat Fucker.  Nobody wants to meet thewheelman - wouldn't cross the street, no way.  However, thegoatfucker - that'll draw a crowd.

This is good advice.

This space for rent.

Our first race was in March of 2013, and since our preferred car number tends to be a popular one, I went ahead and registered for the September race at MSR that year before we even went to the first race. I was also really bored at work that day. This is what I put in our application:

Unless our NASA-themed 1964 Dodge Dart rolls over or explodes at any of the earlier races we run in 2013, we'll be coming home to our own backyard with a full crew and (hopefully) the best iteration of our theme yet.

Not really sure what else to put here, as I'm signing up for a September race in February in order to snag the popular car number that our theme so desperately requires. Hell, I don't know who will be there, I don't know for sure if we'll keep the same theme, I don't even know if we'll have the same powertrain in the car! Hopefully, by the time anyone at HQ reads this, we'll be well-known awesome dudes who you just can't wait to invite back.

But since I can't change the Team Concept after this, I better make it good. Let's speculate, shall we? The following is an "artist's" rendition of what our crappy "racecar" will look like in September 2013:

At our first race in March, the butt-terrible 7-1/4" stock rear end in our car exploded into several pieces, igniting all the gear oil and giving our rocketship-themed economy sedan a glorious tail of fire as we screamed back into the pits. Fortunately, the gas tank survived as the consequences of that would be really sad and/or even more expensive. With 6 weeks to go before the North Dallas Hooptie, we pulled the rear axle out of a Chrysler Fifth Avenue. While we were there, we decided to grab the heavier-duty 727 transmission as well. The rest of my team argued vigorously for taking the 318 V8 with it, spewing such blasphemies as "Our car was hella slow at CMP with that goddamned slant six," "They won't notice, we'll say it was stock," and "We'll string you up if you try to stop us, I swear to God." Luckily, I fought off my mutinous teammates with a tire iron and a shard of broken windshield. Once the strongest of them was put down, the others fell back in line.

It wasn't until later that we discovered the difference in starter location between the V8 and slant 6 transmissions, which necessitated a new round of furious cursing, redneck fabrication, and renewed threats of mutiny.

At the North Dallas Hooptie, which may or may not have been 24 hours, our renewed and more reliable drivetrain held up well, allowing us to stay on track most of the weekend and make up the terribly unfair BS penalties inflicted upon us by Judge Phil, which we nevertheless accepted like the steely-eyed missile men we pretend to be. The lack of breakdowns even allowed us to almost make up for the terribly slow pace of our old and tired 6-cylinder, now attempting to put power to the ground through an unimaginably low rear-end gear ratio that you would expect to see behind a V8 if you knew what the hell you were doing when you pulled the thing out of the junkyard.

After an utterly disappointing and boring performance, punctuated by pointing and laughing from air-cooled VW drivers passing us in the straights and capped off by no trophies whatsoever, my teammates' frustration at the horrible slowness of our car finally reached frightening levels. They petitioned; they revolted; they threatened me with death and mutilation. But I held fast to my principles; "This is a LEMON!" I cried. "If you want cheatonium, BUILD IT YOURSELF! But NOT in my car! CLASS C FOREVER!!"

I suddenly found myself the lone member of Escape Velocity Racing. It was a sad time, but there would be months for self pity and recruitment of new drivers. First, the car had to be used as a rolling art exhibit/mobile bar at a regional burn in Texas. Think Burning Man, but smaller and with less desert. If you don't know what that is, ask someone else. Suffice it to say that the trunk lid was removed, a functional bar was installed in the trunk, and many gallons of space-themed jungle punch were served out of it over the course of a long, hot Memorial Day weekend. Along the way, a roiling mob of hippies and weirdos slowly and subtly altered my glorious monument to mankind's triumph of the stars, perverting it into an artsy statement of the human animal's futile quest for glory, a virulent carrier of the human condition, an icon of cosmic hubris.

In a turbulent, peyote-fueled fever dream, I realized these "burners" were right. There was no meaning in exploration or science; these space-age technologies, computers and rockets, were just newer and deadlier iterations of the sword, and wielded just as savagely. The iconic scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey played in reverse, the space station turning back into a club as it descended into the outstretched hand of an angry chimp.

I awoke, shaken to my very core. What good were my principles now? A mockery! What purpose did my steadfast devotion to the idea of a "lemon" serve, but to drive away those poor tired souls who stood with me before, searching desperately for some fleeting moment of happiness or triumph before the void encloses us all? Life is short and meaningless; why suffer under arbitrary "rules" and "budgets" only to stifle one's own quest for happiness? The world is ruled by men who broke the rules! Races are won by douchebags driving E30s, and why should they not be? My shackles were broken. I stood resolute once again, the furious nihilism washing over me. The engine was coming out.

Back home, I set out immediately to find the perfect replacement. It would have to be powerful, reliable, and still look shitty enough that I wouldn't be crippled by penalty laps. I didn't have to search long. My daily driver of several years, a Mercury Grand Marquis, was on its last legs, deteriorating rapidly from months of hard driving, shuttling back and forth to work on my new old automotive mistress. But its heart still beat strong. An unbreakable powerplant, the Ford 4.6L Modular V8, tested time and again. It would never fail, and it's 250ish HP would be more than enough to push my light little A-body to an overall win! I had no idea how to mate this beast up to the Torqueflite, but with my old teammates back with me, we made it work. I still don't remember exactly how. Some new springs, torsion bars, and cheaty shocks were stripped of all stickers and paint and acid-etched to develop a beautiful patina of camouflage. No way would a Judge bother sitting on the fender of this car! Victory will be ours!

So that's basically what happened. Or what WILL happen, I don't know, I spaced out a little bit toward the end of the story. Now I have to get back to work, or else my boss will show up asking where the report is that I haven't finished yet, and if he comes in my office he might realize how drunk I am at work. See you in September! We'll bring bacon!