Topic: My Experence at Gingerman (for those who are intersted)

Hey there,

I got back from Gingerman this past weekend and wanted to express how excited I am to be a part of that group of people come spring! (Assuming I get accepted)
Me and a friend of mine went and took up space at the track as spectators for the two days, probably getting in everyone's way the whole time. We got to see all the things we hadn't considered that we would've completely failed to deal with come spring. There were also some opportunities to  take some cool pictures, which I'll have to post at some point. We did get invited to talk to a couple teams (Thanks Apocalyptic Racing and Team Bad Decisions) but I'm anti-social and chickened out. It was slightly awkward as well, considering we knew absolutely nobody there personally and neither of us are the introduce-ourselves-to-complete-strangers people. We actually skipped the Potluck/BBQ because we felt so awkward about being there as spectators but not attached to any teams I can't imagine there was a large number of people in a similar situation there, nor people that drove six hours just to watch. On top of that we're in our early twenty's and a lot of people seemed much older than us. We did get to sit next to Jay for a while on Sunday while he watched the race with his posse which was cool, but we were in our car and didn't want to bug him. I didn't know how acceptable it would've been to walk over to the penalty box to say hi to him and judge Phil either or I would've. Altogether though it was a wonderful experience and I couldn't recommend it enough to friends and family and it made me super motivated to get going on the car a bit more.

Re: My Experence at Gingerman (for those who are intersted)

If you read the post link below to the end, you will find 2 people like you who had the same concerns.  In general, even the competitors who may be a-holes on track will be personable when the track is cold.  If people are trying to make their pile run or preparing for a pit stop, they may blow you off.  The rest of the time, they will be dead bored waiting for their time to drive.   You would have found Jay quite engaging to talk to.  To some, Phil may be intimidating mostly because he may spontaneously engage in a soliloquy where you don't understand what the hell he's on about.  If that happens, smile and nod.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=33853

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Yeah...about 70% of the folks running cars will be older than you.  Had you expressed those concerns I would have hooked you up with Priority Fail.  I got my Lemons cherry popped with them and they are all now pushing 30 but very young at heart.  The teams I am partnered with are all in their 20's (but one), on their first big boy jobs and run a Saturn and the horrible RX7.  Heck, one of my drivers is in his 20's.  Yeah, I look like a 60 year old homeless man but we have hosted drivers from 19 years old to 65.

Socially awkward...yeah, we got that too.  I won't out anyone but there are few guys that only "blossom" at the track among their piers and are otherwise about as introverted as possible without actualt living in their parents basements living off Cheetos.

Next time, strike up a convo with EVERYONE.  You got absolutely nothing to loose with this crowd.

I am not the guy that knows everything, but I am the guy that knows most of the teams that will have what you need if your car breaks at the track. I beg you to use that resource once you bring your car.  We can often get you back on the track while your guys are running to the parts store for the "right" solution
(which they should still do).

cheseroo wrote:

You would have found Jay quite engaging to talk to.  To some, Phil may be intimidating mostly because he may spontaneously engage in a soliloquy where you don't understand what the hell  he's on.  If that happens, smile and nod.

FTFY

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Judge Steve is not for the timid but in a lot of ways the funniest of them all once you get to know him.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Judge Steve is not for the timid but in a lot of ways the funniest of them all once you get to know him.

He had me in stitches Friday night with his stories!

To the OP -- I was in your shoes back in '11.  A buddy and I drove five hours to watch the Gingerman race in July, and we did strike up a conversation with a few teams.  It wasn't much more than "Hi, we're interested in doing this" and the advice and conversation flowed from there.  Based on this, and what we saw at the track ( MX6 beer blimp, 66 Impala wagon with roof cut off in the middle of a cage install, etc. ) we started our car search the next day, and was racing the next year.

Most of the "experienced" teams would be happy to talk to you about Lemons.  We may even poke fun at you a bit...........

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

If we didnt want slightly weird people to come up and strike up a conversation with us we probably wouldnt build such ridiculous cars. Also probably wouldnt have spent all of our race prep time building a motorized picnic table with a kickin sound system!

Next time come by the Lowballers paddock and say hey! We love having people stop by paddock. Bonus, if you come by we will probably offer you food or beer!

Knoxvegas Lowballers - Team Mom: unfortunately that is my circus and those are my monkeys.
www.facebook.com/KnoxvegasLowballers

The other thing was it was difficult to figure out whose paddock was whose without the car there. I did see some signage from a couple teams, but for many I had to wait for the cars to come in at the end of the day. I'm hoping I'll be more courageous next time.

Valid point on the paddocks.  Showing up Friday helps but a lot of it is just familiarity...or not caring and just talkin to everyone.

Our paddock has a whole "living room" set up with seats removed from our racevan, a console TV and VCR, etc.  There is also the large (normally) fluffy yellow dog that will bark at you unless you come pet her.  Ours is unusually identifiable but again, doesn't matter...we are all friendly.

The racing is fun and all but I keep burning a huge chunk of my income in this completely insane hobby because I have never met group of people more easy going and enjoyable to be around.

If there is one thing that combines the hugely diverse hoards of Lemons racers, it's that we're attention whores. We love talking about our stuff.

Idle Clatter is a pretty young team. Most of us are in our mid-20's. Hyatt and I spectated CMP Fall South 2012, and ended up hanging out with the Tuna Chuckers. After a night of moonshine and bullshit, we knew we had to race. The next year, we ran our first race. We were clueless, but had a blast, and it's only gotten better. We're happy to provide any advice that our feeble minds can. We're Idle Clatter Racing on Facebook if you ever have any questions/wanna bounce ideas off of us.

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

I can identify with the whole being too shy to talk to strangers thing, especially when you're afraid you'll be bothering them. I'm fairly introverted, and was also very shy until some time in my mid-20s. (Somewhere along the way I also learned that shy and introverted aren't the same thing.) Back in college I would tear my shirt off and sing karaoke when surrounded by friends, but if I didn't know anyone at the party I'd hang out by the punch bowl.

One thing that helps in my experience is having a more extroverted friend to walk around with, so you can play Silent Bob to his Jay without feeling weird while you get slowly acclimatized to new people. A little booze can also help, of course. Aside from that my only advice is to say that like everything else, it gets easier with practice.

This race was my 19th one and I'm still too shy to talk to most people unless they talk to me first, them I'm fine. That's just my nature. When I race in the midwest I'm fine but when I race in other regions I'll just mind my own business and hang out with the few people I know.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

SpaceFrank wrote:

I can identify with the whole being too shy to talk to strangers thing, especially when you're afraid you'll be bothering them. I'm fairly introverted, and was also very shy until some time in my mid-20s. (Somewhere along the way I also learned that shy and introverted aren't the same thing.) Back in college I would tear my shirt off and sing karaoke when surrounded by friends, but if I didn't know anyone at the party I'd hang out by the punch bowl.

One thing that helps in my experience is having a more extroverted friend to walk around with, so you can play Silent Bob to his Jay without feeling weird while you get slowly acclimatized to new people. A little booze can also help, of course. Aside from that my only advice is to say that like everything else, it gets easier with practice.

I would be on the shy side, not so introverted. I just don't have a friend who isn't the same way. Also, I don't partake in the beverages as of yet, so that doesn't help much. Next race I'm just going to have to walk around shaking hands with everyone I make eye contact with or something. Nothing gets you over your shyness faster, or gets you to have a panic attack sooner, than shaking hands with 50+ total strangers.

Even better you could try and hook up with a team. Then you have to interact with people.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

Even better you could try and hook up with a team. Then you have to interact with people.

Yep...We do a walkaround most nights (and I do not mean just my team).  Thursday nights might be a bit early but is the least crowded and people usually haven't broken yet.  Friday night at the April races has 70% of the teams there with other 30% hiding in their hotel rooms with a lot of the 70% saying hello to folks they have not seen in months.

In the past we had a 19 year old driver that was shy in the extreme.  We brought him around on the Friday and Saturday night roving paddock parties and introduced him around.  We also picked him often to run around the paddock to the South while I headed North in search of (insert random tool, nut or bolt here) when we would break down.  I won't say any of this cured him of shyness but he did become comfortable enough with the Lemons crowd that it was a non-issue at the track.

Final option...use a prop.  Come steal my giant fluffy yellow dog for an hour.  Roxy will get everyone talking to you whether you want it or not.  For Gingerman, do it about 10 AM Sunday when all the teams are up and likely puttering around doing little stuff on their cars during the quiet hours before we can start our engines. 

Another prop is come meet tSoG the Bacon God and hang out next to the bacon table (likely with Roxy).  Everyone comes to see him for his meat candy.  Soggy knows everyone and is more than happy to introduce you and might even hand you a plastic jack-o-lantern of bacon to take to the judges.  Soggy usually bunks down in our padock and cooks the bacon there as well.

As a generally shy person who started racing in his mid 20's, just go talk to people. When we started my whole team was roughly 24/25, we knew no body, and we just jumped in. As our car failed and failed hard people around us started jumping in and helping. That helped me get over my "don't interact with anyone" nature. A few races in and I had no issues going up to any team and saying hi. Best thing I've ever done for myself. I've gone from being heavily introverted to decently comfortable with weird, new, public settings. So much so that i'm now teaching strangers things like CAD and welding. The idea of doing that 6+ years ago was unthinkable.

The trick is just to recognize when might be a bad time. If some team is frantically pulling an engine, maybe come back later (unless they're looking for parts, in which case, help). But if they're just sitting around and goofing off I have yet to find a team that doesn't want to talk shop and BS about cars.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

17 (edited by fleming95 2016-10-18 10:53 AM)

Interesting thread we got going here.

Lemons was much the same for me - it was so novel to show up and see so many different teams and types of personalities, and since it was my first race _ever_ I thought I was way out of my element. 

Then you start helping to wire a 300ZX kill switch, see how broken Honda axles come in and out in a jiffy, refuel a few cars. . . it's a quick apprenticeship - and you realize that people think you actually might know something.  And maybe then you realize that you do.

. . and I remember clearly at Sears one of the Rolex team asking for advice on a guibo-y engine mount dohickey on their Rover/Lexus smashup and thinking 'these guys actually ask me for help, listen, and trust what I'm saying.  Amost no one ever does _that_ in the real world!'

At this point I wander the pits which _always_ have good hospitality, asking teams 'how the heck are you so fast?' (Volvo 245 teams, still have no idea, they downplay it heavily), or 'what kind of idiot are you?' (Jaguar/K/usual suspects) and it's all good.

I THINK you guys stopped by our pit to say hello.

Tiger Camaro!

We are from Wisconsin as well, keep us in the loop with how things go for you guys, we are here to help.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

fleming95 wrote:

Interesting is right. This was not at all what I envisioned happening with this thread.

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

I THINK you guys stopped by our pit to say hello.

Tiger Camaro!

We are from Wisconsin as well, keep us in the loop with how things go for you guys, we are here to help.

We "stopped by" a couple of pits to look at cars but never bothered anyone with a hello. People are scary, cars are cool. I wish there was a list you could find with all the teams and their locations. Then we could actually reach out to people and actually consider hanging out or something, that way when we show up we wouldn't actually be going there knowing nobody.

There is a list of teams Eric Rood posts on Hooniverse with a link to the entry list.
Like this one for the current race this weekend.

http://hooniverse.com/2016/10/20/24-hou … n-supreme/

As for locations. Yea there are no assigned locations. some people reserve spots for power, but most of us roll in and just find a spot.

Also you have this handy dandy forum to get in touch with people prior to the race.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

fleming95 wrote:

Lemons was much the same for me - it was so novel to show up and see so many different teams and types of personalities, and since it was my first race _ever_ I thought I was way out of my element. 

Then you start helping to wire a 300ZX kill switch, see how broken Honda axles come in and out in a jiffy, refuel a few cars. . . it's a quick apprenticeship - and you realize that people think you actually might know something.  And maybe then you realize that you do.

. . and I remember clearly at Sears one of the Rolex team asking for advice on a guibo-y engine mount dohickey on their Rover/Lexus smashup and thinking 'these guys actually ask me for help, listen, and trust what I'm saying.  Amost no one ever does _that_ in the real world!'

At this point I wander the pits which _always_ have good hospitality, asking teams 'how the heck are you so fast?' (Volvo 245 teams, still have no idea, they downplay it heavily), or 'what kind of idiot are you?' (Jaguar/K/usual suspects) and it's all good.

If you are talking about our 245 (the only one there)  I am total honest about that car, and don't downplay anything. There just isn't anything done to it worth noting. Although, to be fair I did take it to a dyno once, and picked up 10% because our fp was way off, but can't drive it on the street.  That brought us up to 110 whp.  Not bad for a 2800 lb car.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

22 (edited by phyveaux 2016-10-23 06:25 PM)

OnkelUdo wrote:

For Gingerman, do it about 10 AM Sunday when all the teams are up and likely puttering around doing little stuff on their cars during the quiet hours before we can start our engines.

Unless the team you want to talk to has a velvety smooth and quiet Lincoln Mark VIII with full factory exhaust! They might have the "race engine" started up and humming along while getting it warmed up!  smile

IOE Fall Gingerman 2018 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

That may have been the quietest Lemons car I've ever seen, even more so than the Jet Electrica.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

The F*#king New Guys run the full factory exhaust on the Monte Carlo.  You can't hear that thing running.  Hopefully with the new engine they'll lose some of the exhaust system.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Having run a car with little to no exhaust I will say that having a quieter car is definitely better on my long term hearing.

Wisconsin Crap Racers #113 E36
I.O.E. Winners 2023 Gingerman
2016 and 2017 Cure for Gingivitis Champs!
30+ time Losers!