Topic: 2017 Rules Update?

We're going to have a work weekend in a little over a month from now on our car, and need to know if there's going to be any rules updates for 2017 that we may need to plan for.  Our car (the Tunachucker LTD Landau) currently meets 2016 rules, and has passed tech at the CMP Spring 2016 race. 

Any updates from 2016 to 2017?

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Re: 2017 Rules Update?

I'm starting to wonder if there will be an update this year, since its already decemeber and its still not out.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

There was a FB post (and in direct discussion with him regarding my Imp) where John indicated collapsible steering columns would be required and older cars without DOT/laminated side/rear glass would require them to be replaced.  Basically minor things that don't affect very many cars.  Only possibility of a major change was requiring onboard fire suppression but a decision hadn't been reached.  It is getting late in the year though for them to announce this stuff.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

...collapsible steering columns would be required... minor things that don't affect very many cars.

I agree this wouldn't affect many cars, but retrofitting a collapsible column into an older car with, say, a column shift would not necessarily be a minor matter.

Happily the factory column in my four-on-the-tree '67 96 is collapsible, as otherwise that might spell the end of its racing days. Not that I've done much with it lately anyway.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

...collapsible steering columns would be required... minor things that don't affect very many cars.

I agree this wouldn't affect many cars, but retrofitting a collapsible column into an older car with, say, a column shift would not necessarily be a minor matter.

Happily the factory column in my four-on-the-tree '67 96 is collapsible, as otherwise that might spell the end of its racing days. Not that I've done much with it lately anyway.

For the people like me (Imp) where they made the things for 13 years but the factory never installed collapsible steering columns and the steering rack is essentially under my feet, I would agree that it's not a minor change.  I've known about it for most of the year and I'm still not set on how I'm gonna do this.  When I said 'minor', I meant the overall rule changes for 2017 as a whole sounded like they would be minor.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

I've known about it for most of the year and I'm still not set on how I'm gonna do this.

When I was giving some thought to an inexpensive Crosley Hotshot that mercifully disappeared before I could buy it, I was pondering something along the lines of an offset second steering column, joined to the first by sprockets and a chain, in order to accommodate a central seating position. Something like this, but with a horizontal offset:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=1398024&stc=1&d=1430537020

I have no idea whether something along these lines would be too sketchy for Lemons HQ.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Yep, this could make our slow-and-steady upgrade path for the 1948 Plymouth jump a few steps...like all of them that involve retaining the stock drivetrain.

In case anyone missed the email.  the rule updates have been releases.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/images/2 … pdates.pdf

Facebook Page

Retrofitting a steering column is really easy.  We do it all the time.  Getting a V-8 engine stuffed around a I-6 engine compartment and steering box is a bit of a challenge.

This space for rent.

NSF wrote:

Retrofitting a steering column is really easy.  We do it all the time.  Getting a V-8 engine stuffed around a I-6 engine compartment and steering box is a bit of a challenge.

While they already have collapsable steering columns, 89-97 Tbirds have a mod where you relocate the steering column slightly to create more room next to the engine for long tube headers.

While I dont' care enough to add further complication to my life just for long tubes, the idea is that you move the rag joint over using parts from Flaming River.

FROM
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy188/Rayo187/94-97ThunderbirdSteeringShaftAssembly.jpg
TO
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy188/Rayo187/89-97ThunderbirdSteeringShaftMod.jpg

For those of you forced to move the non collapsing shaft aimed at your center section, perhaps this DIY can give you some ideas.
http://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspension/1 … t-mod.html

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

I need to check on the Rover. The column is a different set up. I found this on the Rover design. I think we are okay, but should probably double check w/HQ.

The P6 steering box is located just barely forward of the firewall, with the track rod running behind the engine to a bell-crank relay, and thus forward to the steering arms on the "swivel pillars". To comply with the federal "Safety Act of 1966", other automobile manufacturers were obliged to install collapsible steering columns. Rover was exempt from this mandate because their design already provided the same benefit.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Basically the genesis of this was after the ranchero got blasted at Sears Point this year, they realized that Mr Odell would have been skewered if the hit had been on the left front instead of right front.

FWIW, when I spoke to the Evil one, he was pretty forceful in his assertion that fully homegrown solutions wouldn't fly for a collapsible steering column.  So if anyone is thinking of doing something like removing a section of steering shaft and replacing it with a piece of tube pinned with shear bolts, that's not gonna make him happy.  For instance, I'm thinking of maybe sectioning in the squirrel cage portion of a bug collapsible steering shaft into the Imp but before I do so will be running my solution past him.  It just looks to me like the steering column angle is too steep where the typical shaft within a tube collapsing column will do much good nor do I think I have enough distance to introduce u-joints without having a weird steering wheel angle.  As such, my options are a bit more limited than just buying something off the shelf from one of the hot rod suppliers.

Gone bye-bye

The fire system wording amuses me. How much force does an EXCEEDINGLY STRONG recommendation hold? Does this mean they're going to be required in 2018 and HQ wants to give everyone as much warning as possible? I assume if that were the case they'd just say so, like they did with SA2005 helmets this past year. Or is this one of those things that they'll fail you for if other aspects of your car are marginal? My car already has a fire system, but I'm just curious. I can't help but think of that argument from A Few Good Men.

"Your honor, I object."
"Overruled."
"Your honor, I STRENUOUSLY object."
"Oh, well, in that case I better think about it..."

I understand why they made the steering column rule, but I am still grumbling loudly about it. ("My got-dang right as an AMERICAN to race with a spear pointed at my chest...") I'll stop short of grumbling EXCEEDINGLY LOUDLY about it, though. I just hope this doesn't discourage teams from bringing more awesome old Detroit iron to these races.

Helmets have always had an expiration period. I suspect that the fire suppression is just that, a warning that they will be mandatory come 2018 so start your budget now.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

SpaceFrank wrote:

The fire system wording amuses me. How much force does an EXCEEDINGLY STRONG recommendation hold? Does this mean they're going to be required in 2018 and HQ wants to give everyone as much warning as possible?

You guessed it.  They are politely saying GET ONE NOW, because in 2018 it will be required.  They aren't expensive, it's a good idea, so just do it.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

They're saying it will be required without opening up the door for lawsuits saying "why did you say they would be required in 2018 but not require them in 2017 if it's needed to be safe?"

At least, that's my reading of it.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

VKZ24 wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

The fire system wording amuses me. How much force does an EXCEEDINGLY STRONG recommendation hold? Does this mean they're going to be required in 2018 and HQ wants to give everyone as much warning as possible?

You guessed it.  They are politely saying GET ONE NOW, because in 2018 it will be required.  They aren't expensive, it's a good idea, so just do it.

Yup. Similar with HANS, they provided some heads up.

And also... just do it:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports … -fireball/

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

chaase wrote:

I need to check on the Rover. The column is a different set up. I found this on the Rover design. I think we are okay, but should probably double check w/HQ.

The P6 steering box is located just barely forward of the firewall, with the track rod running behind the engine to a bell-crank relay, and thus forward to the steering arms on the "swivel pillars". To comply with the federal "Safety Act of 1966", other automobile manufacturers were obliged to install collapsible steering columns. Rover was exempt from this mandate because their design already provided the same benefit.

I have a Pinto column we can graft into the car if needed.  The car needs a removable steering wheel too.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

I'm still surprised having a removable wheel isn't required per the rules.  Having one makes ingress much easier, not to mention if you need to get out quick, not having the steering wheel in the way surely helps.

Captain

-SDR- wrote:
chaase wrote:

I have a Pinto column we can graft into the car if needed.  The car needs a removable steering wheel too.

Bill

The problem is the column in the Rover is really short. I'm already in contact w/HQ. We  need to get them some pics.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

VKZ24 wrote:

I'm still surprised having a removable wheel isn't required per the rules.  Having one makes ingress much easier, not to mention if you need to get out quick, not having the steering wheel in the way surely helps.

Honestly?, I think it would be really bad.  When I was doing 50-70 races a year, it seems like at least once a year someone would write off a car because they forgot to ensure the wheel was on all the way and stuff it in the first corner.  So if the people who are in and out of the car at least one day a week screw that up, can you imagine the screwup rate when people are racing only 3 or 4 times a year?  And then add in hurried pitstops?  If you need a removeable wheel to get in/out, by all means put one in the car but please don't mandate it.

Gone bye-bye

I think a lot depends on the car.  I can't think of anyone ever having issues with the steering wheel when exiting my car.  Being an old cheap mid sized sedan probably has a lot to do with that.  Not saying if it was a rule i would be upset about having to do it, but yeah I"ve seen too many cars come in because they went off the track because the detachable steering wheel came off.

Facebook Page

cheseroo wrote:

When I was doing 50-70 races a year, it seems like at least once a year someone would write off a car because they forgot to ensure the wheel was on all the way and stuff it in the first corner.

I know it happens, and never say never, but it's never happened to my team.  Our removable wheel will only go on one way (indicated by a pointer) so it's either on or it's not.  Using that logic, we probably shouldn't use lug nuts since some teams forget to tighten theirs.

I guess it doesn't really affect me since ours cars have always had one since the first car we built 10 years ago.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

When I was doing 50-70 races a year, it seems like at least once a year someone would write off a car because they forgot to ensure the wheel was on all the way and stuff it in the first corner.

I know it happens, and never say never, but it's never happened to my team.  Our removable wheel will only go on one way (indicated by a pointer) so it's either on or it's not.  Using that logic, we probably shouldn't use lug nuts since some teams forget to tighten theirs.

I guess it doesn't really affect me since ours cars have always had one since the first car we built 10 years ago.

Interesting analogy but tires/wheels are not something that are removed at every stop nor do all removable steering wheel hubs lock positively every time.  Not sure why you had a go at me because I shared my experiences and expressed my opinion that mandating removable steering wheels is a bad idea.

Gone bye-bye

VKZ24 wrote:

Using that logic, we probably shouldn't use lug nuts since some teams forget to tighten theirs.

Actually the rules don't say you need to use lug nuts.  Some teams use the factory studs.  I want to say one team welded their tire on once when they broke their studs and couldn't find a replacement or something.  Either way you are free to attach your wheels to your car however you are pleased according to the rules.

Facebook Page