Topic: INDE

If a race happened in AZ and nobody even mentions it, did it still happen?

All of you who did not attend this, missed out on a fun time!

Most laid back crap can race I have ever participated in.

Good times

craZee

Re: INDE

Oh, it still happened.

Some rambling highlights:

I'm getting good at seeing the judges' rationale at picking the non-laps trophy winners. As soon as I saw Q bolt the SU to the wood adapter plate... heroic fix, right there.

Ditto the 944 Turbo Carbeque. What says "I got screwed" more than burning your car down on Saturday morning?

And the Volvo IOE winner? It's 1944 technology, even if built in 1965 or so. Anything that looks that much like a 1942 Ford is a lock for the big bag of nickels.

I'd agree that it was the most relaxed race I've been to in forever.

Too relaxed, in the case of our team. So relaxed, in fact, that when we were running 5th overall, communication broke down to where our driver was in the hot pit unable to rouse anyone to fuel the car, and The judge ( Jim?) is cracking wise about charging rent for the hot pit space. Yes, at one point the big tank Benz had only 4 cars keeping it out of P1. Then all our strategy went right out the (Pillarless hardtop) window.

One part of our strategy that paid off: that track eats tires like nothing I've seen before. We went through our customary Star Specs last year by Sat night. Then mounted a pair of new Michelin Pilot Sports... Corded the left rear by Sunday night. This plan wasn't working. We decided to go halfway to spec D (Douglas Xtra Trac, that is) and stopped at 320 tread rating. BFG G Force Sport Comp2 were what we tried. EXCELLENT tires for a tire eating track, at least if you have the heaviest car in the race and want to run at "top of B class" lap times. Very "talkative" tires; I could hear them speaking loud and clear through the start/finish bumpers and around the long sweeper, in a way that Star Specs never did. We bought six BFGs and mounted them, it paid off... Never used two, and I'd say we have a Saturday worth of tread on the complete set (did a left/right swap sat evening). Might want to think about these tires if you run a heavy car on a "hungry" track.

Oh, and As Judge Phil immortalized me on video, "Car numbers are hard" but they may well save you from a false flag. Someone got mistaken for us, that's how we got flagged for a big trans fluid leak despite the fact that our car was dry underneath. Make sure yours are legible. smile

OMG Racing '94 Benz S500 #140: https://www.facebook.com/pages/OMG-Raci … 2774944199
Judges Choice and Regional Award winner! Chuckwalla '12, Buttonwillow '13, BFE GP '15, Miller '14 & '15, Sonoma '13,'14,'15. Inde '16,17.Finisher of the inaugural LeMons Rally, in the black Jag.... and IOE in the Super Snipe back in '12...look for the #820 Audi back on a track near you in 2017!!

Re: INDE

We had an absolute riot, and we're just pumped that we finished this go-round. There are going to be some talks with our other drivers about track eddiquite, and not overdriving the car. I heard from several teams that one of our drivers was a little over the top out there, and we apologize for that. All-in-all, it was a great time, and we hope to make it to at least one more event before the end of the season.

4 (edited by Type44 2017-04-10 11:57 PM)

Re: INDE

Sketch wrote:

We had an absolute riot, and we're just pumped that we finished this go-round. There are going to be some talks with our other drivers about track eddiquite, and not overdriving the car. I heard from several teams that one of our drivers was a little over the top out there, and we apologize for that. All-in-all, it was a great time, and we hope to make it to at least one more event before the end of the season.

No harm and no foul where our team was concerned, but that was some amazing dorifto you guys had going on at times. A little squirrely, and then some...

OMG Racing '94 Benz S500 #140: https://www.facebook.com/pages/OMG-Raci … 2774944199
Judges Choice and Regional Award winner! Chuckwalla '12, Buttonwillow '13, BFE GP '15, Miller '14 & '15, Sonoma '13,'14,'15. Inde '16,17.Finisher of the inaugural LeMons Rally, in the black Jag.... and IOE in the Super Snipe back in '12...look for the #820 Audi back on a track near you in 2017!!

Re: INDE

Oh good, it really did happen. I was afraid I was just dreaming. I spent too much money for it to be only a dream! LOL

6 (edited by cheseroo 2017-04-11 09:20 AM)

Re: INDE

Drove Spank's mini this race.  Had a blast doing so.  FWIW, the car was painted up as a copy Jeff Glenn's race mini of many years ago.  It was a typical C car journey.  Almost everyone in class was faster so just tried to make laps and hope they didn't.  Car had contact with the wall early Saturday.  Bent suspension.  Quick repair.  Came out buried in the standings.  Late afternoon had a cracked oil line.  Quick repair again and back out.  Ended the day with class C lead over Johan's High Plains Drifters Toyota after everyone else had bigger problems than us.  Sunday was fairly uneventful.  Car shut off midday Sunday but was quickly fixed.  Johan's car was our competition so tried to stay close to it and ended up taking the win.  Only gripes I heard were how slow the Seville held the field during the 30 or 45 minute caution on Saturday while they tried to sort out the timing/scoring failure.  A lot of people behind got fumed out.  The Volvo was a bit blocky I got the liney.  They almost ran me off the track once while it meandered from side to side and others in the slower cars complained about them as well.  Very well run race by the winning Camero.  They were very courteous on track.  As I pointed out elsewhere, if I'm in a class C car and you acknowledge my point-bys, pass without using me up to do so and acknowledge my point-bys, you will find that I will give you the corner every time I see you coming.  In the long run that's going to save you time so be nice to the little guys out there.  Cerveza, Eyesore and now the Black Bird team have earned that privilege.  Once again judges did a good job, everyone who got an award deserved it.

Oh, and this is how you are supposed to take the checkers in Class C

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii80/cheseroo/Lemons/20170409_150743_zpshpzqcnxn.jpg

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita" 
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)
1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless)
1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites) (Sold -> Houston.  Gone and forgotten)

Re: INDE

Type44 wrote:

Oh, it still happened.

I got to drive the Yugo and the Moke. Spank charitably praised my lap times as "consistent." It definitely happened.

Type44 wrote:

As soon as I saw Q bolt the SU to the wood adapter plate...

I, for one, can't think of a better fix for a Porsche's fuel injection system. Or for any fuel injection system.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'LeMons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 LeMons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP

8 (edited by Spank 2017-04-11 10:12 AM)

Re: INDE

cheseroo wrote:

Car had contact with the wall early Saturday.  Bent suspension.  Quick repair.  Came out buried in the standings.  Late afternoon had a cracked oil line.  Quick repair again and back out.

You're too kind.

It should read, "Spank tried to stick his nose where it had no place being, overreacted to a car that proved to be stocked with Serious Racers all weekend long, lost control of the mini, and were it not for the wall would have likely recreated the Humber Super Snipe V1.0 @ Chuckwalla." 

You also forgot the part where you ran the mini out of fuel on Sat and you (ches) had to run up to the pit space in full gear, visor still down to get us to bring fuel to pit lane.

I think it was a classic Class C battle of Hot-Potato between the Mini and the Dorifto wagon... We each were battling for second place, trying to give our opponents the lead all weekend long.

And Judge Phil was totally unwilling to put the mini in Class C because it has won it's class before, back in 2013 (when it was a 1-day only race on a Monday and there were only like 4 Class C cars). So LOOK OUT Class B... if the mini comes back out for a LeMons event ever again, we'll be gunning for ya!

http://www.jagpromotions.com/racing/archive/autox/mini1.jpg

http://www.jagpromotions.com/racing/archive/autox/autoxmini1b.jpg

Re: INDE

Spank wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Car had contact with the wall early Saturday.  Bent suspension.  Quick repair.  Came out buried in the standings.  Late afternoon had a cracked oil line.  Quick repair again and back out.

You also forgot the part where you ran the mini out of fuel on Sat and you (ches) had to run up to the pit space in full gear, visor still down to get us to bring fuel to pit lane.

I did forget about that.  Pull into hot pit.  Um Hello?  Anybody?  Unstrap.  Look around.  Start the 200yd trek to the paddock spot to get fuel all the while wondering if they tow abandoned cars off the hot pit.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita" 
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)
1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless)
1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites) (Sold -> Houston.  Gone and forgotten)

Re: INDE

cheseroo wrote:
Spank wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Car had contact with the wall early Saturday.  Bent suspension.  Quick repair.  Came out buried in the standings.  Late afternoon had a cracked oil line.  Quick repair again and back out.

You also forgot the part where you ran the mini out of fuel on Sat and you (ches) had to run up to the pit space in full gear, visor still down to get us to bring fuel to pit lane.

I did forget about that.  Pull into hot pit.  Um Hello?  Anybody?  Unstrap.  Look around.  Start the 200yd trek to the paddock spot to get fuel all the while wondering if they tow abandoned cars off the hot pit.

That was contagious. At least You guys came back to win, we also parked on the pit for 20 mins, looking for gas in all the wrong places, and B class victory slipped through our hands, probably forever... I KNOW that 15 more minutes of lapping would have got us past the Escort Service Geezers, and I'm pretty sure it would have gotten to parity with the MR2.

OMG Racing '94 Benz S500 #140: https://www.facebook.com/pages/OMG-Raci … 2774944199
Judges Choice and Regional Award winner! Chuckwalla '12, Buttonwillow '13, BFE GP '15, Miller '14 & '15, Sonoma '13,'14,'15. Inde '16,17.Finisher of the inaugural LeMons Rally, in the black Jag.... and IOE in the Super Snipe back in '12...look for the #820 Audi back on a track near you in 2017!!

Re: INDE

Congrats Larry and Lance!

Did they do the same layout as last year?

Re: INDE

blinded wrote:

Congrats Larry and Lance!

Did they do the same layout as last year?

Yes. The only place where you can achieve your highest finish yet... By switching from 200 to 320 tread rating. Tire rotation is the name of the game...

OMG Racing '94 Benz S500 #140: https://www.facebook.com/pages/OMG-Raci … 2774944199
Judges Choice and Regional Award winner! Chuckwalla '12, Buttonwillow '13, BFE GP '15, Miller '14 & '15, Sonoma '13,'14,'15. Inde '16,17.Finisher of the inaugural LeMons Rally, in the black Jag.... and IOE in the Super Snipe back in '12...look for the #820 Audi back on a track near you in 2017!!

Re: INDE

Type44 wrote:
Sketch wrote:

We had an absolute riot, and we're just pumped that we finished this go-round. There are going to be some talks with our other drivers about track eddiquite, and not overdriving the car. I heard from several teams that one of our drivers was a little over the top out there, and we apologize for that. All-in-all, it was a great time, and we hope to make it to at least one more event before the end of the season.

No harm and no foul where our team was concerned, but that was some amazing dorifto you guys had going on at times. A little squirrely, and then some...


Thanks for not hating us! I know a few teams don't feel quite the same. Haha

The back end of that car is definitely WAY too tight though. I think a lot of that came from the spring wedges I jammed in it to lift the rear after I cut the springs too short. Luckily I have a parts car to pull another set from. Our engine is definitely on its last leg as of right now. It made it through the race just fine, but it started dropping power on the back straight during the last stint on Sunday. I drained a liquid disco ball out of it today, so it's to me to hit Craigslist and pick-a-part!

Re: INDE

When we were fast, that was the A&D hotshoe. When we were squirrelly, it was probably me (or other family).

We came in on the hook twice for gas... The only gauge that worked was the speedometer... something that we unplugged or bumped when installing the SU, I guess.

We'll keep going to Inde as long as LeMons keeps coming back.

The tires we chewed up mostly lasted... on the inside. But they were old. If I had a tire changer, I'd have swapped them on the rims and used the other side up, too.

That guy

Re: INDE

I gotta tell ya Sketch, your car was SKETCH-Y (har har har) day one, early afternoon! I followed you guys around for a looooong time because I was afraid to get next to you guys! This was my second lemons race in two weeks, and I'm hooked!

Re: INDE

DirtyDuc wrote:

When we were fast, that was the A&D hotshoe. When we were squirrelly, it was probably me (or other family).

We came in on the hook twice for gas... The only gauge that worked was the speedometer... something that we unplugged or bumped when installing the SU, I guess.

We'll keep going to Inde as long as LeMons keeps coming back.

The tires we chewed up mostly lasted... on the inside. But they were old. If I had a tire changer, I'd have swapped them on the rims and used the other side up, too.

IWhat, you had such directional tires that you'd notice if you were running them "backward"? Ours got rotated Sun morning LF to RR and RF to LR, end result 4 tires that probably have 1 day of racing left.

Our approach wouldn't work as well on a wet track, I imagine.

OMG Racing '94 Benz S500 #140: https://www.facebook.com/pages/OMG-Raci … 2774944199
Judges Choice and Regional Award winner! Chuckwalla '12, Buttonwillow '13, BFE GP '15, Miller '14 & '15, Sonoma '13,'14,'15. Inde '16,17.Finisher of the inaugural LeMons Rally, in the black Jag.... and IOE in the Super Snipe back in '12...look for the #820 Audi back on a track near you in 2017!!

Re: INDE

Squatty Potty Racing had a ton of fun. Our tires survived exceptionally well considering the track. We ran Dunlop Direzza DZ102 up front (460 treadwear) and Hankook Ventus R-S4s (200 tradewear) in the back. We even lent our Friday/Saturday back tires to F Bomb who ran on them all day Sunday. Black Bird was extremely gentlemanly on the track. I gave him the line every time because he was.

Re: INDE

Type44 wrote:

IWhat, you had such directional tires that you'd notice if you were running them "backward"? Ours got rotated Sun morning LF to RR and RF to LR, end result 4 tires that probably have 1 day of racing left.

Our approach wouldn't work as well on a wet track, I imagine.

No, only the outside half went down to the cords. I rotated like you on Sun morning, but the outside is still the outside when you do it that way. I'll take a pic tonight.

That guy

Re: INDE

DirtyDuc wrote:
Type44 wrote:

IWhat, you had such directional tires that you'd notice if you were running them "backward"? Ours got rotated Sun morning LF to RR and RF to LR, end result 4 tires that probably have 1 day of racing left.

Our approach wouldn't work as well on a wet track, I imagine.

No, only the outside half went down to the cords. I rotated like you on Sun morning, but the outside is still the outside when you do it that way. I'll take a pic tonight.

Oh, I see. I was focusing on eliminating cords appearing on the left tires' edges. You mean if you race a 2000 lb car and not a 4000 lb one, right side tire wear is also a concern? I can't relate smile

OMG Racing '94 Benz S500 #140: https://www.facebook.com/pages/OMG-Raci … 2774944199
Judges Choice and Regional Award winner! Chuckwalla '12, Buttonwillow '13, BFE GP '15, Miller '14 & '15, Sonoma '13,'14,'15. Inde '16,17.Finisher of the inaugural LeMons Rally, in the black Jag.... and IOE in the Super Snipe back in '12...look for the #820 Audi back on a track near you in 2017!!