Re: DIY Cool Shirt

thomasfoolary wrote:

Looking to avoid making 4 to 6 shirts and having to deal with connections at driver changes. Probably not as effective as a cool shirt, but would be less hassel.

What hassel?  You just snap in two connections and you are done.  The cool shirt hooks up way easier than the driver's harness.  The result is worth the hassle...trust me.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
thomasfoolary wrote:

Looking to avoid making 4 to 6 shirts and having to deal with connections at driver changes. Probably not as effective as a cool shirt, but would be less hassel.

What hassel?  You just snap in two connections and you are done.  The cool shirt hooks up way easier than the driver's harness.  The result is worth the hassle...trust me.

+1

I didn't think a cool shirt was needed. But after using one, you'll understand. It's not much trouble to make the connections. The level of comfort with a cool shirt is worth whatever it takes.

sergio wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:
thomasfoolary wrote:

+1

I didn't think a cool shirt was needed. But after using one, you'll understand. It's not much trouble to make the connections. The level of comfort with a cool shirt is worth whatever it takes.

Noted. . . .

86 Honda Prelube - Team Inspite: Rabid Hybrid Racing

Cooling the seat may help but it has to make it though our insulated suits!

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

No doubt, I would prefer a cool shirt, but as budget and time are getting tight. The seat might be my best option.

31 (edited by VKZ24 2010-05-27 09:54 AM)

Troy wrote:

Cooling the seat may help but it has to make it though our insulated suits!

I agree.  The cool shirt works because it stays right next to the heat source to act as a heat exchanger.  I don't think cooling the seat will work to well considering the moving blankets we are all wearing.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

We made cool shirts... about $20 for a pump, already had a used cooler, a few bucks for some hose from the rear of the car to the front, and a pair of quick connects... then figure $10 in tubing/quickconnects per shirt...

makes a huge difference

a cool seat will never work with our suits... plus unless your hose is VERY strong, you'll compress the tubes and no water will flow...

E30's should all go up in flames...

33 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2010-06-03 02:18 AM)

Just made this one myself using $15 worth of materials at wal-mart.  My design, based on an ice vest I wore as a mascot in high school.

Mostly good for walking around or working on car when being connected to a cooler isnt practical.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/__x8VDvxJ-GY/TAd3G6AzVLI/AAAAAAAABP0/xbJr6Ha_eRc/s800/IMAG0401.jpg

2 small 100% cotton T shirts(3.50), 8 re-useable frozen cooler packs (1.27ea), iron on fabric bonding tape (1.67)

1)Turn one tshirt inside out.  Lay it flat.

2)Cut the sleeves and collar out of the other shirt, and cut to separate the front and back panels.

3)apply iron on fabric tape around edges of the back panel of the inside out shirt, and then apply tape to make the seams of the pockets, and iron it.

4)Lay cardboard spacers in the grid where the packs will go.  Keep everything flat and even.

5)peel the tape backing and lay down the back half of the second shirt. make sure everything is flat and even. Iron it to bond the shirt to the liner panel

6)carefully use a razor blade to slit the top of the newly created pockets.

7-10) repeat steps 3-6 for the front panel

11)turn shirt outside out. insert frozen ice packs into pockets

12)freeze your tits off

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

I like the ice shirt idea. smile We had a 'real live' CoolShirt setup for our first Lemons event, it worked well but had the drawbacks of being expensive and a PITA to refill.  So we built two DIY coolers for Spring South, that way we could have a cooler ready to go each time we did driver changes. The cooler was held in place with two pieces of 1/4" threaded rod and a piece of 1x1x.090 aluminum angle and wing nuts.

We used the smallest bilge pumps (Attwood Tsunami 500's, ~$18.00) we could get from Wal Mart, 3/8" vinyl tubing, some fittings from McMaster-Carr, some pipe insulation from Home Depot and the 'double six pack' coolers, we had ~$35 in each cooler by the time we were done. We used the rear Cool Shirts since each of us had bought our own for previous events and rigged up a toggle switch with a quick disconnect plug. Having used the real deal before, I can say our homemade setup worked as well as the real deal. Its drawbacks: the top does not seal well, easily fixed with foam weatherstrip tape. That could be a problem, since I know that at least 1 team got blackflagged for liquid which turned out to be from their cool shirt.  The 'double six pack' coolers are too small for 1 1/2 hour sessions, we will rework this with some bigger coolers for next year.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

I can tell you first hand that the COOL SEAT idea does work.

We made a COOL SEAT which we used at summit point.  We sewed 1/4 ID vinyl tubing straight to the back of the seat.  We had about 5 parallel circuits on the seat which were fed by inlet and outlet manifolds we made from plumbing parts.  Our pump was capable of 3 gal/min.

We had the same concern expressed by a few people on this thread; that heat would not move efficiently through our multi-layer suits.  We figured our setup would just "take the edge off", and make it slightly more bearable.  This was not the case at all.  It worked tremendously well.  It was over 100 F outside on Sunday, and sitting in that chair felt like someone pouring ice water down your back the entire time you were out on the track.  At one point one of our drivers actually had to turn it off... it was too cold.  It really made the driving enjoyable, none of us ever complained about the heat while driving.

I think the key is volume flow rate.  A cool suit can't be bulky since it has to fit inside your racing suit.  The inlet and outlet fittings have to be small and flexible, so you are limited in terms of flow rate.  A cool seat on the other hand can be any size you want since everything is permanently mounted to the car.  Our main inlet and outlet hoses were 3/4 inch ID.  So you can make up for the poor heat transfer of a multi-layer suit by using a massive water flow rate. 

Our cooler was about 10 gallons which we kept about half full.  We figured we would have to scoop out the water every driver change, and then add more ice, but this turned out different as well.  The water level just kept going down.  I guess it was leaking out around the lid.  All we had to do is dump in about 5 lbs of ice every hour.  We never had to drain or scoop anything out. 

Lessons learned:  Throw a piece of foam on top of the ice to keep the sloshing down.  Don't put bags of ice in.  The ice melts, and the plastic bag clogs up the pump. 

Thanks to Bernie for building our cool seat, it was a life saver!

Kris

Greenhousegassholes
White e30, number 911

Kris
Monkey F-ing a Football E30.  Car 911.

The cool-seat is interesting.  May have to look into something like that to satisfy my teammates cooling needs.

Honestly, I never felt too hot or dehydrated in the car.  It was a little warm, but far from unbearable.

glfporsche wrote:

Thank you for proving the idea. . . .I will do the same for my next race in Houston.

thomasfoolary wrote:
glfporsche wrote:

Thank you for proving the idea. . . .I will do the same for my next race in Houston.

Awesome!  BTW, total cost on the whole rig was $60. 

FWIW if we had to do it again, I would extend the tubing to cover the butt and leg areas as well.  There are lots of big blood vessels in those areas to pull heat out of. 

Kris

Kris

Aw shucks, your welcome Kris, I was very happy it worked too. I was equally amazed that a 4 layer suit was actually cooler then the single layer suit with underwear, it's the weave of the cloth. Single layer proban suit was tight woven like canvas, the four layer Nomex suit is an open weave like a thin sweater, the air flow went right through the it!

[img F:\DCIM \100K6440]

[img F:\DCIM\100K6440]

ok. This cool seat concept is going to the engineering lab on a stock seat.

The only problem in my mind is that a few of our drivers use bolsters to adjust for height.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

The only problem in my mind is that a few of our drivers use bolsters to adjust for height.

Cool BELTS!

That was a joke.

Or was it???

EyeMWing wrote:

ok. This cool seat concept is going to the engineering lab on a stock seat.

Yea, we had that problem too. 

We had a Kerky aluminum seat that had a removable cover.  We sewed the tubing into the cover.  When it came time to insert the pads, we just put them under the cover.  Worked like charm. 

Kris

Kris

Has anyone tried to make a cool system out of a Nomad H2O on the go?:

http://www.amazon.com/Nomad-Orange-Port … B0024M3OJ6

I saw these today at a local store for 15 bucks and I couldn't resist.  3.5 gallons with a built in pump, ready to go, quick connects built in, power switch, 12v accessory plug.  Add a hole in the cap for return water, add the connections for the DIY shirt, throw in some ice and water, and bam!, you're rolling!

We were going to add some insulation around the outside to help keep it cooler longer, but that was it.  I bought two with the thoughts of just switching out at driver change.

I tried it as soon as I got home and it looks really promising.  Now I just need to make the shirt for the final answer.

I think that Nomad is a great idea. Strong thinking.

The only question that I'd have is if the pump on it is sufficient for constant (or near-constant) operation. But for $15 you can't go wrong even if it craps out.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

On the cool seat Idea... I've actually had this idea for a few Months. Now, -MY- idea would be to get a pair of Tranny coolers, and whip out the spool gun to aluminum-weld them to the back of our kirkey seat, then run the tubing and pump to a cooler like normal. the Aluminum seat + the heat transfer off the coolers with icy water running through it should make the whole seat positively frosty. even with the seat pad, nomex, and fire panties, it should be like sitting on a stadium bench in late january.

Mulry wrote:

The only question that I'd have is if the pump on it is sufficient for constant (or near-constant) operation. But for $15 you can't go wrong even if it craps out.

I had the same thought, which is why I decided to go with two.  The change-at-driver-switch thing was an afterthought.  The thing that I'm a little worried about is if the pump is strong enough as well to keep the water flowing through tubing with a belted-in driver pressing against the back of the shirt.  It seems strong enough from my playing around with it, but if the tubing is soft, it may put too much pressure on the pump.

I'm stopping today at the hardware store to try and get some tubing and fittings to give this thing a shot.  I'll keep you folks posted.

And BTW, the cool seat thing seems like it would work extremely well if there were good contact between the cold water and the aluminum seat.  If there were water tight channels on the bottom and back of the seat that lead into fittings, that would be awesome!

I'm playing with a few different concepts in my head and have some styro coolers to prototype with. To those of you who have built one of these already - just how vital are those expensive-assed dry-break connectors? Seems to me that with some clever mounting you can get away with HALF dry-break connectors... Like the ones we use on pneumatic tools and cut out like half the cost that way (ALL your connectors for $5, as opposed to $7 a connector).

... And does anyone know which Bavarian Crazymobiles have electric water pumps? $11 at a junkyard and you know DAMN WELL it isn't going to have problems with continuous operation.

Team FinalGear

I think that it was some of the watercooled VW's (& Audis?) that had a supplemental electric water pump that was used just to help move water through the heater core, not for engine cooling. But yeah, that would be a good source. Of course, the bilge pump that most of these setups use cost only like $10-15 at Wal-Mart so I'm not sure that you'd save a lot of nickels on that modification.

I really wonder if the pneumatic breaks won't leak. From running a Cool Suit system at ECR, I can tell you that even the authentic dry breaks will leak a couple drops, but no big deal.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Just go with a bigger chest, ours wasn't providing any cool stuff after 45 minutes at ECR.
I think we are going with a bigger chest and some frozen bottles (jugs) at Hallett in August.

250 GTO

The back of my pack of Harbor Freight pneumatic fittings SWEARS they're air and watertight under pressure. But it's Harbor Freight, and we all know how that works.

I'm just looking to not dump the entire contents of the shirt plumbing all over the cockpit electrical during climb-out, anyway (and having water preloaded in the shirt should go a ways towards preventing pump cavitation on startup).

Team FinalGear