1 (edited by MurileeMartin 2010-03-25 05:36 PM)

Topic: We need more Fiats!

I remain disappointed by the shortage of Fiat (and Fiat-based) Lemons cars. We've had an X-1/9, a couple of 124 Spiders, a Brava, a Lada, and a Yugo... and that's about it. When you're shopping for a race car, don't overlook Fiat!

For example, this 128 in Arizona, asking price just $300!

'77 and '79 124 Spiders in NorCal, "make offer."

A $200 128, allegedly running when parked, in Washington.

1972 Spider with lots of extra parts in Florida, $650.

2-fer-1 deal on 124 Spiders, $500 in Washington.

Re: We need more Fiats!

Wait, what about the Dodges, Plymouths, Chryslers, Alfas, Lancias and Ferraris  that are out there..... Fiat is deep man.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I almost brought you a 58 cinquecento... Might still go get it. Dunno. Would that make me eligible for 3-time IOE?

You guys have Least Terrible Yank Tank - you *had* best/worst italian, etc.

Re-instate "Least Terrible Italian", "Least Terrible French", etc - and maybe you'll see folks put in a freaking effort, instead of mailing-it-in with [insert german or japanese favorites here].  wink

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

Spank wrote:

I almost brought you a 58 cinquecento... Might still go get it. Dunno. Would that make me eligible for 3-time IOE?

Yes.

MurileeMartin wrote:
Spank wrote:

Yes.

hmmm. I imagine it would have to be powered by the correct 500cc grenade, then. double hmmmmm.

Do you have any idea how slow that thing would be? And you thought we drove the sChITROEN slowly!

FU@K, where did I put that phone number...

Spank wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:
Spank wrote:

Yes.

hmmm. I imagine it would have to be powered by the correct 500cc grenade, then. double hmmmmm.

Do you have any idea how slow that thing would be? And you thought we drove the sChITROEN slowly!

FU@K, where did I put that phone number...

With all that IOE money in the bank, you should be able to buy it with plenty of change to spare

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I can get a pair of late 60's Fiat 850 Spiders that have been sitting in a field for decades.  However, I'd need to find a suitable replacement motor.  The biggest stock displacement motor they ever put in those cars was a whopping 903cc.  What junkyard motor would fit in the back of those cars?

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

9 (edited by Spank 2010-03-26 10:02 AM)

Lemonious Monk wrote:

I can get a pair of late 60's Fiat 850 Spiders that have been sitting in a field for decades.  However, I'd need to find a suitable replacement motor.  The biggest stock displacement motor they ever put in those cars was a whopping 903cc.  What junkyard motor would fit in the back of those cars?

Hey, don't feel the need to get more cc's. Our 998 powered mini finished 38th of 147 cars (or top 25%) at sears pointless. Watch this and tell me that you need more hp in order to have fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLJblRZNLE

From wiki:
"with the original 843 cc engine tuned to produce 49 hp (37 kW)"
and
"In 1968, Fiat revised the successful Spider and Coupé again and gave them an even stronger engine with 903 cc and 52 hp (39 kW)."

Conversely, our mini (not a true "cooper", just a 998) also from wiki:
"38 hp (28 kW) at 5250 rpm and 52 lb·ft (71 N·m) at 2700 rpm"

We're getting a little more than that, but not much!

And then the 58 cinquecento I'm looking at. (cover your eyes, it's not pretty):

from wiki:
"The original 500, the Nuova, has a smaller two-cylinder engine than all newer models, at 479 cc and producing just 13 bhp."

or, if I'm lucky enought to get a later engine in it:

"Replacing the original Nuova in 1960, the D looks very similar to the Nuova, but there are two key differences. One is the engine size (the D features an uprated 499 cc engine producing 17 bhp as standard — this engine is used right through until the end of the L in 1973)..."

Lemonious Monk wrote:

The popular swap back in the day was VW Beetle engines. I think rotational direction is different so you have to use the VW transaxle too but I could be wrong on that.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

11 (edited by Jer 2010-03-26 11:35 AM)

Lemonious Monk wrote:

I like that idea.  I had an 850 Spyder in college and loved it, although I need a full tool set in the car and a bunch of spare VW Bug parts to keep it running.  It had that huge 5 gallon gas tank.  I think it would be fun on the track but slow.  I'd bet you would spend a pretty penny, though, to get it "up to speed" with a VW powertrain.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

V-Twin

JThw8 wrote:
Lemonious Monk wrote:

The popular swap back in the day was VW Beetle engines. I think rotational direction is different so you have to use the VW transaxle too but I could be wrong on that.

You are correct, the rotation is different but there are ways to get around it.  The 850s are great handling cars and sound good in full race trim but with a cast iron block and aluminum head, they blow head gaskets constantly when raced.  So, if I had to run a Fiat, my pick would be a 128 sedan.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

I'm with ErikTheAwful.  V-twin. 

I had one of these for a few years.  ~130hp, and I think it was ~83 ft/lbs torque.  Not too hard to work on.  The power band drops before you get to redline, so it doesn't have to have the piss run out of it. 

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/1645469485.html

I asked this guy a number of questions contemplating this.  Eventually, wife death overruled the thought process.  If you're good with engines and the on-board diagnostics, because it's not currently wired to run, beat this guy up on price.  I have a service manual I can copy for you too.  The majority of the wiring is contained in the rear he has pillaged.  It's been out there almost 2 mos now if it's not gone.  His take on the price for parting out individual components (frame, forks, wheel, controls) is optimistic, but not unrealistic.  If you do it right, I think there'd be a free engine for you.

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

Lemonious Monk wrote:

if I had to run a Fiat, my pick would be a 128 sedan.

We really need a Lemons 128. You can still buy them new in Egypt!

I hate to say it, but another X19 would be super cool......  not that I really want to race against another mid engined super lightweight car....but its just too cool to see out on track!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Flog it again, Tony???

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

A fiat 500 is begging for a Kawasaki 600.... but for $500 it would be tight!

I'm still driving and enjoying my 128 too much to give it over to Lemons just yet....If I can find the right people and managed to find a 1500, I would be swayed.

OlCreFoo wrote:

I'm with ErikTheAwful.  V-twin. 

I had one of these for a few years.  ~130hp, and I think it was ~83 ft/lbs torque.  Not too hard to work on.  The power band drops before you get to redline, so it doesn't have to have the piss run out of it. 

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/1645469485.html

I asked this guy a number of questions contemplating this.  Eventually, wife death overruled the thought process.  If you're good with engines and the on-board diagnostics, because it's not currently wired to run, beat this guy up on price.  I have a service manual I can copy for you too.  The majority of the wiring is contained in the rear he has pillaged.  It's been out there almost 2 mos now if it's not gone.  His take on the price for parting out individual components (frame, forks, wheel, controls) is optimistic, but not unrealistic.  If you do it right, I think there'd be a free engine for you.

I think you meant "death by wife".  Or at least I hope that's what you meant.

I hate to let you guys in a a big secret but any time you want a motorcycle engine for nearly free just buy a crashed bike, keep the engine, and part the rest out.  It's been done a couple of times to get engines for the Gnome.  It's just a time consuming process.  The current Gnome engine netted out at less than $250.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Yes, death by wife. 

That's exactly what I was pricing out on the thing.  Especially with the RC51, you'll find people that need track spares and legal frames for racing.  Even easier to re-coup your money if you know someone that can buy salvage bikes as a dealer from auction.

Is the gnome still running the Magna V4?

OlCreFoo wrote:

Is the gnome still running the Magna V4?

The Gnome has a CBR1000RR engine and a hell of a lot more power than the V-4 in our Z600.  Metros are huge compared to a Z600 too...I don't think we could fit that engine in the Hamster.

-Tim

I totally got the two crossed in my head.  I remember seeing the Metro with the 1000RR, but had the Hamster in mind with the V config talk.  So, the Hamster is still running the Magna?  Any thoughts of the Interceptor's V4 with the VTEC in there? 

Are you guys with the motorcycle engines consistently looking for spare engines/transmission components, or has the part consumption leveled out once you have kinks ironed out?

DAMN!!!! Just got rid of 5 of these.. Now i gotta go dig one back out..

View My Video

Pen

OlCreFoo wrote:

I totally got the two crossed in my head.  I remember seeing the Metro with the 1000RR, but had the Hamster in mind with the V config talk.  So, the Hamster is still running the Magna?  Any thoughts of the Interceptor's V4 with the VTEC in there?

The second '09 VFR 1200F engines get cheap enough we'll upgrade.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/82/Honda_VFR_1200F_Dual_Clutch_Engine.jpg/407px-Honda_VFR_1200F_Dual_Clutch_Engine.jpg
Until then we are going to be using VF1100S Sabre engines because they're the best power for the money on engines we can actually fit in the car...

OlCreFoo wrote:

Are you guys with the motorcycle engines consistently looking for spare engines/transmission components, or has the part consumption leveled out once you have kinks ironed out?

Motorcycle transmissions were never meant to be in cars we're constantly trolling the classifieds for crashed bikes.